You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN General Discussion
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion » I feel dirty...someone tell me I'm wrong
Bottom
Topic Subject:I feel dirty...someone tell me I'm wrong
Terminus
posted 05-28-03 03:14 PM EDT (US)         
Well, I have reached that point in my RON education in which I can, 99% of the time, "honestly" beat the AI on moderate difficulty (although it does, always, take me over an hour). However, to do so I have to call upon the use of both wonders (not a wonder victory) and nukes. Now I'm not trying to say using wonders and nukes is considered cheating but they do sure make me feel like I didn't "win-win".

The computer does it too so I guess it isn't so bad but has anyone else felt like there should be an option to disable both these things completely from a quick battle? It makes me feel dirty, knowing I nuked and wondered my way to conquest

BHG, can this be done through one of the XML or INI files? I want to see how 'Tough' the computer can be without its precious nukes and wonders

[This message has been edited by Terminus (edited 05-28-2003 @ 03:20 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Obsidian
EE Playtester
posted 05-28-03 03:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
I don't think you can disable wonders entirely from the game, but you could try setting the end age at Industrial in order to stop nukes from happening. There may be a way to simply remove the Wonder menu from the UI via the various XML files but I can't really be certain on that.
geoschmo
posted 05-28-03 03:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
If the idea is to find out how good you are, try playing without using them yourself, but allow the AI to use them. Then when you can still consistantly beat them you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
Terminus
posted 05-28-03 03:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       

Quote:

I don't think you can disable wonders entirely from the game, but you could try setting the end age at Industrial in order to stop nukes from happening. There may be a way to simply remove the Wonder menu from the UI via the various XML files but I can't really be certain on that.

Yeah I thought about that but I really like the bombers and other specialty units that they only have in the Information Age

I can see how Wonders would be hard to turn off though, since they are built into the gameplay (for balance I'm guessing) and probably also into the AI routines.

Quote:

If the idea is to find out how good you are, try playing without using them yourself, but allow the AI to use them. Then when you can still consistantly beat them you shouldn't feel guilty at all.

Wow the computer would completely wipe out my cities which would then = no resources for me!
I'll give that a try though as soon as I can "honestly" say I can beat the computer on 'Toughest'...maybe beat it to the Missile Shield before it gets into the Modern Age? Yeah right

[This message has been edited by Terminus (edited 05-28-2003 @ 03:49 PM).]

gord96
posted 05-28-03 03:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
you can disable wonders....just turn wonder points to none.....
Terminus
posted 05-28-03 03:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
!?!?!

I'll try that as soon as I get off work

geoschmo
posted 05-28-03 03:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
gord, that will disable wonder victory, but will it stop them from being built?
Lord Lengo
posted 05-28-03 03:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Try limiting the max age to something less than the Information age. You won't get nukes, and you'll probably have to employ much more tactical ability.
gord96
posted 05-28-03 04:00 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
yes you can still build wonders but you can't get a wonder victory....i usually set wonder victory at 14 points...then it is really hard to attain.....also cap it a modern age if you want to lay off nukes...there nukes arent as bad as say an ICBM....anyway I have only played two quick battles....my last one took 5 and a half hours (three nights of playing)....I was just toying with the AI on Easy and then he got all serious....I just couldn't get through his defences....finally with the use of helicopters, art, infantry and tanks together I got 70%....what a battle though....
Little_Wing
posted 05-28-03 04:32 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Why not just adjust the cost of late game wonders/nukes to some huge value? I assume that the costs are in the XML file, presumably making it easy to prohibit units/techs/wonders/etc by inflating the cost.

Little_Wing

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
Rhysen
posted 05-28-03 04:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
I play with No Wonder Victory since the first game I played, I tripped the wonder timer myself. And with my first win against 3 AI on moderate, I only actively built 3 wonders:
Colloseum
Versailles
Statue of Liberty

As for nukes, in that same game I only launched 1 nuke. The entire victory was based off of air superiority (3 AA defenses are woefully inadequate for a 20 fighter group clearing a path for 20 bombers)

Brian Reynolds
VIP
posted 05-28-03 05:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
It's not supported as a game setting, obviously, but you could "mod" your game to do this-- in unitrules.xml find the two nuclear weapons, and in buildingrules.xml find the wonders. Change the "PREQ0" field for each to "disable" and you won't see any nukes or wonders in the game.

Brian

Flayer
posted 05-28-03 05:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
^^he cares about you
Terminus
posted 05-28-03 09:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
perfect! thanks again brian
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames