You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.37 replies, Sticky
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Rise of Peace - city management mod idea
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rise of Peace - city management mod idea
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Super7700
posted 02-22-11 04:00 AM EDT (US)         
This is just an idea and it is at the back of my modding to do list so right now it is purely in the ideas stage so I have no real plans of developing it any time soon but feel free to develop or use this mod idea for something.

Rise of Peace

This is a city management mod where rather than focusing on battles with another nation, you will be focusing on managing a city so it becomes a thriving metropolis, rather than a giant slum. The city will grow automatically, the quality will depend on your population and resources. Like a normal city, people will wander the streets and cars will drive about. Once you have a port, ships will wander the seas and once you have an airport, planes and helicopters will travel above the city. Having a large population is bad when you don't have the resources to support them but the more people in your cities, the quicker you city spreads and develops and having a certain population will unlock technologies and wonders.

Happiness

The game is centred around happiness and there will be a happiness rate to measure how well you are doing. When your city is happy, you can access new buildings, your citizens will work harder because they are happy, and sometimes they will give you a monument, or a wonder if your town is very happy, that provide happiness, resource and other benefits. Happy cities also don't have as much crime. Happiness is produced by a good housing to population ratio, certain buildings such as the stadium as well as monuments and wonders, and also the technology you have so for example, solar power plants are better for happiness than coal or oil power plants, though solar plants do not produce as much.

Unhappiness is a major problem. When your people are unhappy, there will be increased crime and work rate decreases. If your nation has reached a certain level of unhappiness, mostly peaceful protesters will take to the streets, who act as a good warning sign for what is to come if you fail to meet their demands. Next comes the riots. Riots are made up of citizens as well as rioters (kind of like militia), and if things get worse, a few armed protesters may appear too and they attack buildings and citizens that get in their way. Apart from some building damage, riots don't do too much if you don't provoke the rioters and start a fight with them. After that comes open rebellion where thousands of protesters, rioters and armed rebels will come in waves at police stations and government buildings. Rebels can be especially damaging and once rebellions start, there will almost certainly be fatalities. Unhappiness is caused by factories, a bad population to housing ratio, which also causes disease and crime, and also if you don't have the money to successfully upkeep buildings they will fall into disrepair.

There is also a ratio in cities between the poor, the middle class, and the rich, which affects happiness as well as the housing quality in different areas. The ratio begins with quite average levels with the majority of people being middle class. How the ratio works out will depend on resources and on some of the policy decisions you make as a mayor. For example you might get asked by some upper middle and upper class people to lower their taxes while increasing them for the less fortunate because they will give you a monument.

Quality

Quality is a term that is mentioned with regards to city areas. Basically, high quality commercial buildings produce more, while high quality factories produce less unhappiness and pollution as well as producing more resources. High quality housing generates happiness while poor quality housing produces unhappiness. There is also a thing called maximum quality, where at that point sectors cannot reach a higher quality level, which can then be increased with technology.

City Areas

In your city, there are three different types of areas:

- Residential. This is the housing of the people of your city. The quality of residential areas usually depends on a population to resources ratio. Having a high amount of resources compared to population means that the average housing will becoming larger and more luxurious until you are building mansions all over the place. If you have a large amount of population compared to resources, slums will be produced, which churn out disease, crime, and unhappiness. Like a normal city, the housing will vary in different areas. Housing is generally poorer near factories while the large houses will appear in the suburbs. Housing is also affected by the rich to poor ratio. In the centre of the city, or near commercial areas, the residential areas are usually apartment blocks, away from commercial areas there are large suburbs while outside the city there are farmhouses.

- Industrial. The industrial sector produces all resources apart from wealth. Factories decrease happiness though due to pollution, and they will decrease the quality of nearby housing. Crime may rise in these areas too. The quality of the factories can be increased by having parks nearby and by the Scientific Institute and their quality overall is increased by science techs. High quality factories produce more but do not generate much unhappiness or crime. Inside the city factories look like the vanilla oil refineries and factories and in the outer parts of the city they take the form of farms, woodcutters camps and oil wells and platforms.

- Commercial. The commercial sector of the city starts at the city centre and throughout a game new sectors will emerge around the city. The commercial sectors produce wealth, and have quite a neutral effect on happiness. A new financial sector will just have a few small office buildings and won't produce much but it will grow over time and basically the more wealth a sector it produces, the larger it gets and the better quality it becomes and when it gets larger it produces even more wealth. The quality of commercial buildings can also be increased with buildings like the city hall.

Also a concept that appears if you are doing poorly financially is that all areas will decrease in quality and if you do not have enough money to maintain commercial or industrial areas they may "shut down", meaning that while they produce unhappiness and crime, they produce no resources.

Technologies

With regards to the main technologies (in Rise of Peace they are researched at the town hall), there are a few changes:

Industrial: Increases the quality of factories. Also increases the overall effectiveness of power plants

Civic: Increases the number of town halls you can build in the region and expands your regional territory. Civic techs also help to increase happiness, reduce crime, and increase residential quality.

Commerce: Increases the commerce capacity of your city and increases maximum quality of commercial buildings. All commercial sectors produce more wealth.

Science: Decreases the cost to research technologies and makes them research faster (in this mod all techs are extremely expensive and take ages to research). Increases maximum quality of factories.

Each technology requires a certain population level to be researched so you don't get awkward cases of there being a city made up of a couple of skyscrapers and a couple of farms and nothing else.

Other topics to be covered:

- Decisions, events, and governments
- Relationships with other towns
- Realistic systems including crime (which includes vandalism, murder, robbery and gang warfare), disease and fires, minor disasters such as a small building collapsing, a small ship or plane crashing or some crazed murderer on a killing spree.
- Disasters (earthquakes, epidemics, tornado, huge fires, toxic accidents, floods, tsunamis, hurricanes, terrorism, volcanos, oil spill, shipping or plane disaster etc.)

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 01-20-2012 @ 00:10 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Super7700
posted 05-09-11 04:18 AM EDT (US)     26 / 37       
Well of course Rise of Peace isn't exactly at the level of other city management games as it wouldn't be possible I think to change the interface that much to allow for more advanced management. What I will be aiming for is to have both the ability to make large decision such as raising or lowering taxes that effect the whole nation and will determine how the city will develop and the ability to control individual units at any time, although for example if some criminals turn up, you can send police over to deal with them and if it is bigger there will probably be the ability to deploy squads of police (for the squads available see the previous post on it) fire brigade and/or the ambulances to the scene of the disaster. To be able to keep the squads together altogether and so also be able to disband them, a control group would automatically be created for that squad.

However there would be an ai that would automatically manage emergency services in minor events so there are always a couple of emergency service units patrolling around their respective emergency service buildings and if a couple of random people contract a disease, if there is a hospital nearby, an ambulance would automatically pick them up and take them to the hospital and if there was a robber trying to cause damage near a police station, a nearby policemen should catch them. This means you don't have to be controlling units all the time.

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~
VelvetClaw
posted 05-17-11 10:21 PM EDT (US)     27 / 37       
Hi, taxation sounds like something great!

I got another question:

For Rise of the Moderns, is it possible for each faction to have a unique temple building? I currently have the following planned:

Asian factions: Shrine hall (there are 3 designs - Hindu, Buddhist and Chinese)
Muslim factions: Jami'
European factions: Church
Mediterranean and Balkan factions: Cathedral
Mesoamerican and Hispanic factions: Cathedral (based on Compostela)
Super7700
posted 05-18-11 02:15 AM EDT (US)     28 / 37       
The easiest way would be to have a house of worship like in Rise of Kings and have a different type for each building continent. Perhaps it is possible to have unique temples but I am not really sure.

VelvetClaw
posted 05-19-11 02:19 AM EDT (US)     29 / 37       
That said, would you like to help out with rise of the Moderns once you're done with Rise of Kings? we currently have the following done:

http://modernity.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Factions

15 "Western" factions, 2 Muslim, and 7 Asian factions have now been created. I decided to include the Bedouin and the Swedes into the game!
Super7700
posted 05-19-11 05:30 AM EDT (US)     30 / 37       
You should consider including the Sioux and the Iroquois too, to add some variety.

VelvetClaw
posted 05-19-11 07:49 AM EDT (US)     31 / 37       
I didn't because I wanted this mod to be about European imperialism throughout Asia - something which I feel is often neglected many times over unless you whisper the magic word: "Vietnam". Empire Total War left out China and Sub-Saharan Africa. ODA's Rise of Napoleon also left out Africa (although it won't be wrong for you to establish my Arab tribes as lords of East Africa!). If you looked carefully, almost all of the Western factions were those involved in adventures in China

That said, I was hoping you could advise on it, because I wanted research, economics and politics to play an even bigger role. Normally in most games we don't really care much about government, but I think the bonuses given by the governments should be really powerful so as to matter. For instance, red govt upgrades make future ones cheaper, while, green ones allow access to super infantry auxiliaries, or something.

[This message has been edited by VelvetClaw (edited 05-19-2011 @ 08:05 AM).]

VelvetClaw
posted 05-28-11 06:01 AM EDT (US)     32 / 37       
@Super7700: Random is working on New World Empires, located at newworldempires.wikia.com. While he works on the Sioux, I would rather flesh out the oft-neglected history of Asia - and possibly even Africa, if I knew how.

I have a question, regarding the coding: how would it be possible to create riots during a game?

Next, would it be possible to input "happiness" into Rise of the Moderns, in the following manner?

HAPPINESS...
- determines the cost of recruiting Scots Guards, Ever-victorious Army men and Presidential Guards
- determines how much wealth you receive from taxation, fish boats and trade caravans (generally 100% happiness means 100% tax recovered)
- determines how strong attrition fields will be during wartime (100% means enemy takes 100% of max damage possible)
- also required to keep your villagers and mercenaries happy-if you hit 0% happiness, random villagers and mercenaries will immediately riot.

...and is increased by...
- building national projects
- Civics research
- the number of cities you control
- your score: if your score is the highest amongst all players, you will get a happiness bonus
- wonder points held.

Religious centres act on happiness - each religious centre will multiply your happiness score, up to a level of 5, so if you have 5 religious centres, and an overall happiness score of 20, your happiness score will hit 100%

Taverns (and their Imperial Era counterparts, the speakeasy) slightly increase your commerce cap for food by 2.5% per tavern/speakeasy constructed. They also allow the gathering of happiness from peacocks, wine and tobacco - each one grants 2% happiness, so long as you control at least 1 instance of that resource.
The French control a unique building that replaces the tavern line, called a salon. The salon has the same abilities as the tavern, except that it gathers 1% happiness on each instance of peacocks, wine or tobacco that you control.

...and is decreased by...

- the number of smelters in your nations.
- losing or demolishing wonders. If a wonder is destroyed in your territory, you suffer a happiness penalty.
- losing cities
- knowledge research
- red government techs
- alliances with "conflicting nations": for instance, happiness will be affected if you are a liberal nation, and you join an alliance with someone who has monarchy researched instead. Or it can be based on religion: if you are playing as the Ottomans, it will be difficult for you to ally with anyone other than the Arabs (and maybe the Indians).
- the number of mercenary units you control. Each mercenary unit has a potential "happiness cost" of -1, so having 20 mercenary units will decrease it by 20.

Some technologies hosted by civic wonders are meant to reduce this happiness penalty, or can even use your happiness score in a variety of ways. If you can figure something out, do visit modernity.wikia.com to see what can be done.

[This message has been edited by VelvetClaw (edited 05-28-2011 @ 09:31 PM).]

Super7700
posted 05-28-11 10:14 PM EDT (US)     33 / 37       
I would ask Wadis about that if I were you.

VelvetClaw
posted 07-31-11 07:08 PM EDT (US)     34 / 37       
So....is this mod still in the works? I have a suggestion for Rise of Peace:

- set it between Age of Darkness/2GM and Uthum's own WIC that should give us enough leeway. You can have scenarios that then concentrate on history. I can imagine the following:

- Korean reconstruction
- developing a 3rd World Nation
- pacifying Somalia
- setting up London for the 2012 Olympics
- Christchurch earthquake cleanup
- Great Society reform in America
- May 1969
- Cold War: FRG vs GDR

You wanted a Cold War mod - I think I got you one :P
Also, as you know I've been producing quite a great deal of civvy buildings, so I feel you've got quite a lot of ammunition for tackling buildings - if so required. I myself am currently working on some buildings for Rise of the Moderns and Age of Darkness:-

RISE of the MODERNS
Tavern/Tea house/Cihuacalli
- Produces base happiness of +2. Increases by +1 for every type of the following resources that you control: tobacco, wine, and peacocks. The cihuacalli and tavern upgrade to the coffee house in the Imperial Era.
- Main recruiting ground for spies

Salon (French unique building)
- Produces 1 happiness for every instance of tobacco, wine and peacocks you have flagged on the map.
- Main recruiting ground for spies

You may only build up to 3 of these buildings on the map, and they have an economic tech req.

AGE of DARKNESS
Finance centres (has different names, depending on which govt techs you research)
Bank/Mint/Central planning board
- Prevents units from being subverted whenever cities are captured: diamonds for villagers; silver for vehicles; and gems for infantry and scholars
- A finance centre has the ability to drum up foreign mercenaries, which are basically "colonial infantry and cavalry" - some factions can summon black Africans; others native Americans; Indians; and chetniks ... they basically are the same as most infantry units, but little more...I think the UK, alongside these guys, should have the ability to recruit ANZACs and Canadians too.

[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/interbellum/images/6/60/AXP_banner.png/revision/latest?cb=20150328191407[/img] [img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ronriseofkings/images/d/d6/Rkc_banner.png[/img] [img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/kingsandconquerors/images/0/09/KChe_Banner_roma.png[/img]

[This message has been edited by VelvetClaw (edited 07-31-2011 @ 07:46 PM).]

Super7700
posted 07-31-11 07:40 PM EDT (US)     35 / 37       
This is just a project that could be developed further after the completion of Rise of Kings so right now I am not doing anything with it.

I was thinking it could just be set in the modern era and I could make it broad enough to cover most of the post war era, so for example you can only get modern skyscrapers and all that with research. I would like it to just cover one age so there is no age advancement or requirement.

Scenarios would definitely come with this mod, and while some of them are historical events, whether being post war cleanup or post earthquake cleanup, others may cover alternate 'what if...' events such as massive disasters striking major cities such as New York and London that never happened historically, while others could be more fictional based with made up cities. The reason why I think the latter should be included is that it would allow more customisation when it comes to city structure and wealth so for example we could have a 'disaster strikes utopia' type scenario.

This doesn't really cover the cold war era gap since it is almost a completely different game.

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 07-31-2011 @ 07:48 PM).]

VelvetClaw
posted 08-02-11 10:20 PM EDT (US)     36 / 37       
Okay, a deal boss:

If you can help with Rise of the Moderns' units and also find someone to bash out the coding required ie new techs and abilities and happiness and such, I can offer you my buildings at my wiki for Rise of Peace, and provide ideas for scenarios. Previously I thought that part with Sun Zi and Louis XIV is too much, so:

MODERN:

Earthquake scenario (19-20??CE): (can be San Fran, or Tokyo, or even Christchurch!)

London 7/7 Bombings: unsure how this could run.

Hong Kong, 1960-1999

Revolution is in the air in China! as the governer in charge of one of Britain's most important colonies, your task is to keep wealth and growth continuous. Beware of incursions from the Communist North, as well as the spread of vice and crime, and you should win this scenario in now time. The main objective of this one is to reduce corruption wherever you find it.

Cold War Berlin (1952 CE):

Play as either the GDR or the Bundesrepublik - lift the problems lingering from the war, and renovate your buildings, but remember that happiness is key in ensuring that you have sufficient scientists coming in. Luring refugees from either side is the only way to obtain new techs. Both sides are vulnerable to a variety of problems: stock market crises, riots, and even wars in faraway Hungary and Czechoslovakia which will affect the GDR's resources. Be warned, however: you must maintain good relations with the other German government, otherwise you risk starting a war. This is a build-em-up game.

Kuala Lumpur-Petaling Jaya, Wawasan 2020 (2003 CE):

The corruption scenario par excellence. As part of the Malaysian government's Vision 2020 scenario, resources are running out, and traffic snarls are becoming more frequent. You start off with near to meagre resources and high corrpution, and your task is to stave off two problems: traffic chaos in 2012, and water shortages in 2016. Mass transit might be the right way to re-route traffic, but beware as not listening to key developers may cause problems later on - ie, you might have fewer resources once the realtors withdraw their support and resources!

Europe 1969:
Revolution is again in the air, with dissatisfied students running around and committing acts of hooliganism. Prevent all manner of crises from happening.

Great Society:
American cities must expand in order to build up on growth. You will have to balance the needs of 2 opposing forces: people and corporations.

[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/interbellum/images/6/60/AXP_banner.png/revision/latest?cb=20150328191407[/img] [img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ronriseofkings/images/d/d6/Rkc_banner.png[/img] [img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/kingsandconquerors/images/0/09/KChe_Banner_roma.png[/img]

[This message has been edited by VelvetClaw (edited 08-02-2011 @ 10:23 PM).]

the99nouns
posted 12-02-18 05:59 PM EDT (US)     37 / 37       
Ah cmoon dont stop now...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames