You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » City placement and caravan trade
Bottom
Topic Subject:City placement and caravan trade
geoschmo
posted 05-20-03 08:45 AM EDT (US)         
Regarding city placement, I know there are various military and geographic reasons for placing a city here or there. But the one factor I haven't been able to weigh to my satisfaction is the value that distance plays in caravans. I know that the farther the cities are apart the more money the caravan generates for each trip, so this would lead me towards building my cities in a roughly straight line away form the capital to get those long range caravan routes going. But the closer together they are the faster the trips go. More trips could mean more money overall, even if each trip individually generates less. So this could lead me towards placing my cities radiating out from the capital. Are the two factors equally balanced so it doesn't really matter how far apart they are? Has anyone looked at this closely?

Geoschmo

AuthorReplies:
EclipseV
posted 05-20-03 09:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
interesting.. as with other games, Id be interested in learning how thecaravan breaksdown on a distance vs numberofcaravan vs time graph.

longer distance= more $$$,but takeslonger.

given any caravan over a certain period of time, does distance factor into the total gathered, or do the number of trips even it out??

As per previous experience with other games, distance factored greatly giving almost an exponential rise in gathering rate per time as compared with shorter routes... esp in AOM and GB.
... only down side is the increased risk of carts being ambushed......
..maybe someone can play this out on a non combating game ....

however, mostimportatnly, i think that the commerce cap will ultimately limit any major gains you might pursue with larger routes.

in all probablility, strategid location. (mountains.bordersetc) will play a role in where i set my cities. trade route only a secondary consideration.
the real dvantage of setting sities as far apartis that the further they are, the larger a terriroty you control. ultimately this will be the factor that wins.

Audentis Fortuna iuvat.
One_Dead_Angel
Seraph in Absentia
(id: One_Dead_Villy)
posted 05-20-03 09:16 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
what i like to do is push forward with my 1st city to stake claim to more forward territory, the sides people wont be able to take away from u that early anyways. The 3rd city I'd like to expand side ways near the rear so have more secure caravan route. Then depnding on the civ either expand in a roughly equal front , or straight up towards the enemy, either up the middle or sides depending on geography.
EclipseV
posted 05-20-03 09:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
how are caravan trade routes configured??
given the general premise of one caravan per commerce level ... in general it becomes one vcaravan per city... (unlike other games whre you have 20-40 +++).
how does the caravan route get established. does the caravan go to and from one city in particular??
can caravans be programmed to avoid hostile areas??
id you are commerce level 6, civic 6, you have 6 caravans between 7 towns, ...but 7 towns generates a total of 42 (7 x 6 ) routes. ... so what heppens here??

the carvan is obviously generated at the market but from my observatons it only goes between cities...

with 42 route, and 7 caravans...
do the caravans automatically seek the most lucrative route???

Audentis Fortuna iuvat.
TheGoodEvil
posted 05-20-03 09:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
i think that caravans act like farms and stuff once their on the road they start generating revenue. how much i have no freakin' clue. maybe one of the BHG guys could shed some light

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

RoN_n00b
posted 05-20-03 10:37 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
This doesn't have to do with the caravan, but it is about the city placement. Should your cities be close together so if a city is attacked you can get your units there faster? I only have the demo until I buy the full today but I tend to spread out my cities to the far end of my territories to stake more territory, but then I'm totally unprepared for an attack, almost like all my cities are on their own. So, should I put my cities closer?
Nexu
posted 05-20-03 11:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
Here's hopefully an easy one for you. If its one caravan per city route, can one market have more than one carvan if they are traveling to different cities?

Example with 3 cities, A,B and C
Can you have city A send one caravan to city B and one to city C?

TheGoodEvil
posted 05-20-03 12:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
all you need is one market throughout the whole game markets don't serve the caravan cap the commerce tech does that. so if you fully research commerce you can have four cities with eight routes i think

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

Nexu
posted 05-20-03 12:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
dang, I thought you need a market in every city. So if you only have one market you can just make a caravan and send it to a city and that caravan will select a open trade route and automatically get on it? if so, thats sweeeet!

Is there a way to check and see if you are maxed out on your trade routes? kinda like looking at the woodchoppers and seeing that you are ar 5/5?

deadeyedick
posted 05-20-03 06:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
Just in case someone is still wondering about this topic...

yes - you CAN just build 1 marketplace and churn out a few caravan units... and they will automatically go out and forge an open route for their caravan's to run (provided you have room for more caravans).

You can check how many caravans you have as opposed to how many are available by opening up the right-sided squigly thing on the resource collection template in the upper-right hand side. Sorry - don't know what to call it.

Still don't know what the values are versus distance and time.

Fyron
posted 05-20-03 07:05 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Nearby cities become more susceptible to nuclear weapons.
x_Scarface_x
posted 05-20-03 08:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
yup, and if you have allies, ur trade carts will automatically go to ur enemy cities too

~*S c a r f a c E*~
generalmadine
posted 05-20-03 11:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
The reason to build extra markets is that they each give +10 to wealth rate.

I thought that each caravan was +10 regardless of distance.

Bridger
posted 05-21-03 00:47 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
AFAIK each caravan = +10 on wealth gather rate, but they give a small bonus each time they complete their route.

It would make sense to me if a route would make the same ammount of money as a route placed twice as far away but double the bonus. Don't know if this is true in game though.

Overall i find that military and economic (getting the resoures inside city radius) are the most important factors, caravn distance has no, or minimal impact on wealth gathering (taxation does though! research it!).

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Woundedknee
posted 05-21-03 03:50 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
A thought crossed my mind, what if the caravans have a constant gathering rate, but since they deposit the gathered wealth only in towns a longer route means more time spent, which means more wealth.
And by the way, 7 cities generate only 21 routes. With 7x6 you count every route twice.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames