You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Hotkey for selecting all sick units in a group?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hotkey for selecting all sick units in a group?
Narzug
posted 06-03-03 07:00 PM EDT (US)         
Hey, i wonder if there is a key for selecting only units which have less then 100% hp's. The reason for this is obvious i think
AuthorReplies:
Bridger
posted 06-03-03 08:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
That would be nice, but there's no such feature in RoN right now, hopefully in a patch.

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
EclipseV
posted 06-03-03 10:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
right i think that would be great. i always have this problem.

i hate trying to garrison half of a hiuge army when it is all disarray on the battlefield.

Audentis Fortuna iuvat.
TheGoodEvil
posted 06-03-03 10:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
i think that is one of the best ideas ever posted in the forum.

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

mgdpublic
posted 06-04-03 02:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Yea that would be a killer hotkey.
Panzer101
posted 06-06-03 06:23 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
now that is an actual idea. BHG!!! DO IT NOW!!

Wir Werden Sieger, Durch Unsere Tiger
We will be victorious, because of our Tigers.
Beag
posted 06-06-03 07:12 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
I would looove that.

ESO Name = DoC_Beag.
Major_Shlump
posted 06-07-03 06:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
They should create several levels of "sick" like 25%, 50%, 75% etc, and allow you to map them to some keys. I would be willing to sacrifice F1, F2, F3 for this.

So if you want to select your critically ill units, just do F1+selection box and send them to heal. Alternatively, the hotkey (or new icon) could select one sick, double-tapping it would select all sick units on the screen, and triple-tapping would select all sick unints in the map (much like the idle keys work). This could also work with SHIFT for people who prefer that method.

It's just a new class of units (sick: 25% 50% and 75%)

AntiAmi
(id: DoJo_AntiAmi)
posted 06-07-03 06:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
that would be the best hotkey on earth...same with the idle merchant hotkey

http://www.dojoclan.net
Well I was talking to Kman, and he was like "what do you do?" and I was like "Oh, I act, go to school, dance, sing, play soccer and stuff. What do you do?" and he was like "AntiAmi." so I figured hey, it's an occupation. - Ultima_Knight
TheGoodEvil
posted 06-07-03 07:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
why would you have idle merchants?

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

Bridger
posted 06-07-03 09:02 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
hey now THERE'S an idea!!!! A "dammaged unit" drag filter!!! I'm gonna send this off to my contacts at BHG.

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Major_Shlump
posted 06-07-03 09:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Yup. I was thinking drag-filter and my previous post (3 keys seems like overkill for this feature), but then I though about how idle keys work, and I would prefer not even dragging during battles. The ideal solution from a prgramatic and ui point of view would be a single key (much like "." "," "'") that selects injured units.

Tapping once will give you a single injured unit (like idle unit). Twice will give you all injured units on the screen. Three times will give you all injured units. The SHIFT and HOME keys would work the same way: tap "injured" key followed by HOME to select all injured on the map (I prefer triple tap). This way the new "injured" key blends into the game nicely.

Then, you can set an option to select the threshold of this key in certain increments: 25% 50% 75% (more than this seems useless). Most people would probably set it to 50% and use it select all injured units when the battle is not a crucial one where you need everyone there. Even if it is a crucial battle, you can still cycle through the units via a single tap and micro some of the critical units back to a fort.

In a battle, I would use such a key as much as the most popular keys in the game.

BHG, I think this is probably easy to implement along side the "idle" keys...maybe in the X-PAC?

Jarrah
posted 06-08-03 10:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
This sounds like rather a neat idea.

Would you be able to select the unit type first though? I think I'd like to be able to select just wounded soldiers, or damaged vehicles or whatever, so that I could direct them straight to the right building to heal without needing to filter out the tanks from the infantry, etc.

How does everybody handle this issue now though?

I only play single play, so speed is not quite so critical to me (I can pause or slow if it gets too frantic) but this seems to work for me:

I just double click (for instance) a tank. This highlights all the tanks in the area and brings up their mini-pics in the bottom right box. I then hold down CTRL and quickly click on any mini-pics I DON'T want to heal (i.e. the green bar ones, and maybe the better yellow ones). This removes them from the box. I then press G for garrison and direct what's left (sick ones) to the nearest appropriate building to heal.

This is still fairly crude, but with practice it's quicker than it sounds. It also beats trying to select them individually if the action is crowded.

While the CTRL key is down you can also hit 9 or whatever and hotkey the sick group, but I prefer to leave them in their original groupings, and just move them immediately before I lose the selection again.

What do the rest of you do?

Narzug
posted 06-10-03 06:02 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
I put all units in my village (group them), then immediately remove the 100% full units from the village (flag 1/2 screen away) - repeat till village is full with sick units
RandomTask
posted 06-10-03 09:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
It is a wonderful suggestion.
BTW try holdin Shift of Ctrl while using the dragbox on military units- one should grab all siege, the other all non-siege. That's another helpful one.

Random

Zaknafien
posted 06-10-03 09:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
Yup. You wouldnt even need this for going back to a fort, either Most of the time a quik trip nack a few steps breaks target lock, allowing you to divert damage onto healthier units. Thats always good for bug units like tanks.
Rusty Nail
posted 06-17-03 04:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Nice idea. I would add a related one; an option to "heal" that is similar to garrison except the unit automatically pops out when 100% healed and heads for the rally point. An added touch would be for the unit to go automatically to the nearest garrison possibility, and if that is busy upon arrival, then on to the next nearest.
Deuce
posted 06-17-03 06:32 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
well, how 'bout this one here (it maybe a little too much):

when u select multiple units, you have a button, call it "Go Heal" and it will automatically send the units to their equivalent building (troops at barracks, mounties at stable, etc.), heal them, and return to their spots that they started off with.. now if they were chosen randomly, the smart AI (ugh) could send a 99% unit to autoheal, leaving a 1% unit on the battlefield so if there would be a way to prioritize them according to their hp..

too much, right? but it would be great, actually..

Slave One
posted 06-17-03 07:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
This a great idea. I also agree with Deuces idea in regards to Auto Garrisoning. It sounds a lot easier to implement into a patch.

However,
Enter Devils Advocate:

If your opponent is micro'in really well then you will not have time to garrison your units or it wouldnt be that effective. Since they will most likly die on there way to a building. Also since very few units move and fire at the same time this equates to less damage you are causing. Another very important point to make is it takes CONSIDERABLY less amount of time to build a new unit then to heal one.

This would be a viable tactic in any post battle situation.

He's no good to me dead.
-Boba Fett
Deuce
posted 06-17-03 07:47 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
tho i haven't been in many battles yet (mostly just Easiest), i prefer building a new unit than goin' thru all the pain to heal one.. especially on big maps, u'll have walk back and forth for healing.. i'd just add a few more units to that group and never care about the "sick" units.. unless i'm too close to a garrisonning building, i'd heal'em b4 startin' another attack..

My nation? Egyptians.

Make sure you check out my clan's website Elite Enforcers

Terminus
posted 06-18-03 01:31 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
I remember someone bringing up both auto Heal and auto Garrison a few days after the game was released so I'm sure BHG is well aware of this lack of feature.

Hopefully by Patch 4

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames