You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » How do I maximize my wealth from routes?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How do I maximize my wealth from routes?
VlPER
posted 06-07-03 03:51 PM EDT (US)         
I read that the longer the trade routes, the more wealth I get. So I built four cities along one side of the map, and captured an enemy city far away. Then i tried to get caravans to make routes from each of my own cities to the captured cities. It said something about destination and I couldnt do it. When the caravans get built and make their own routes, do they pick the best ones? How do I maximize getting wealth? since i find its the slowest and most demanding resource in middle game.
AuthorReplies:
downwithgravity
posted 06-07-03 03:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
i really dont know how the trade routes/collection rates work, but gold is really important, so id say just make sure you have a market in every city, use fish, get all the rare resources you can, keep taxation upgraded, and always stay at your caravan limit. if you still find yourself short of gold, dont forget to keep pushing the borders with forts and cities to increase your territory (for taxation).
taboofires
posted 06-07-03 04:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
Don't worry too much about trade routes... It's probably not worth your attention when you are busy elsewhere, and you can make it pretty good automatically with some planning.

If you build your cities far apart to expand your borders (which means more tax income), your trade routes will already be long. As long as you keep at your caravan limit (one per commerce I believe), and keep all your caravans moving of course, you'll probably be able to cap out your gold income with the usual boosts.

2 markets is helpful, more gives you diminishing returns.

Fishing is helpful when available to supplement your
income.

Research civics whenever you need more gold. Then you can build an extra city (more trade routes, larger territory), plus you can upgrade either temple usefulness or taxation to further increase your income.

If you have an ally, however, try to establish trade routes with him rather than between your own cities.

VlPER
posted 06-07-03 04:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
hmm, can one city have a trade route with 4 other cities? I tried it and i think it told me it wont work.

OH yeah my wealth was like 170 and then i started screwing around and manually assigning trade routs and it became like 110.

taboofires
posted 06-08-03 01:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
Each city can have a trade route with any other city, but only one route per any pair of cities. 1 city = 0 routes, 2=1 route, 3=3 routes, 4=6 routes, etc.

There is also a limit to the number of caravans you can have running at once; one caravan per commerce tech, I think.

Rohag
posted 06-08-03 09:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
All these suggestions are good. Somewhere I read that, yes, caravans pick the best route at the time they are created. New techs, new buildings and growing cities can change the potential trade situation. So, if you can handle the micromanagement, it can be valuable to periodically grab caravans and - as I've read - point them at the nearest city (just click on the one city and not drag to the second to manually create a specific route); they will then automatically recalculate the most profitable route.

(I have been unsuccessful in locating the source for this tip; if I find it I'll post it.)

[This message has been edited by Rohag (edited 06-08-2003 @ 09:12 PM).]

Bridger
posted 06-08-03 09:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
Rohog, maybe insted, simply drag them all back to your capitol and let them idle. Would they then pick the best route? (they don't always seem to start at the city they are next to).

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Ragga
posted 06-09-03 04:47 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
more buildings in a city increase your income for a trade route for that city, readmore here.
UncleDeath
posted 06-09-03 10:09 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
Interesting. I'll have to try it. I've been playing Nubian lately because they have the potential for a LOT of gold. Enough to buy just about everything else. I end up with less citizens and more armies.
Qu1ckC4nc3r
posted 06-09-03 11:03 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
I don't exactly understand whats beign discussed let me see if i got this right. you all are saying grabbing all the caravan periodically and ?reassigning trade routes? this is don't know how to do... will generate a higher income because they will re calculate to the furtherst city away?

Confused

Lobsang
posted 06-09-03 04:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
I think you get more if you trade with another nation.
I certainly noticed gold flowing in when ever I had a trade route set up with an ally.
taboofires
posted 06-09-03 06:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
Lobsang, that's probably the difference in distance kicking in. That brings up an interesting point tho: when you research trade (commerce 3 I think), and you have allies, it might be a good idea to have your trade routes recalculate.
Anunikoba
posted 06-10-03 11:53 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
Yes and no. The thing is, the trade routes are more valuable with distant allies, but you split the profits. So its worth the effort to reassign your routes with allies IF they are willing to do so as well. Otherwise, you will on average make a little less for yourself, but your ally will get some extra too.
Ulua
posted 06-18-03 05:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
How would building a temple and researching taxation figure into this? Or is there 2 distinct ways to collect income, trade routes and taxation?

From what I understand of the trade routes, you get money each time the caravan hits a town, the farther away the town, the more money you get but... if it's 20 wealth you get from a nearby city and 50 each way from a city across a small map, I think I'd rather have the shorter distance one, figuring for 1 round trip income from a distant city (100) I could have that shorter distance caravan making more than 5 one way trips (100) to earn more. Not to mention it's much less risky going all that way.

MindYerBeak
posted 06-18-03 05:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
Maximise your income with Commerce and Civil in the library, keeping them 2 ahead of the rest if you can, to maximise capping, otherwise if you're capped you recieve no income from the excess you produce.

Gissa kiss and let's be fwiends...
JayBe
posted 06-18-03 08:16 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
I discount the "longer trade routes are more lucrative" concept, because while you get more gold, you are getting it less often.

BTW, remember that caravans do not travel in enemy territory.

GrizzledVeteran
posted 06-18-03 09:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
A little misconception I'd like to clear up here.

Several people have said that you only get wealth when the caravan hits a town.

This is NOT so. You do get a little wealth bonus in each town when the caravan sets up its route, but after that, you get continuous income from it, just as you would for wood choppers, or miners.

Also, caravans do not stop at every town. Their route only takes them back and forth between two cities. They may go by other cities, but they do not stop.

Now, on maximizing wealth. You can indeed mazimize your wealth by halting caravans. All you have to do is grab caravan, and move it somewhere. Anywhere will do, so the shortest distance is best. When the caravan stops, it will idle for a moment, then will figure the most profitable route for it to go off on.

However, there is something to keep in mind. When you do this, the caravan is take off of its route. At that moment, it stops contributing weath. It will start generating it again, only when it has reached both cities on its route. Therefore, if it tries to set up a long route, it may be a little while before you get any income from it.

You will indeed get more income from the route when it is set up, but it may be a minute or two before the route is back in operation. During this time, you are loosing wealth. Doing this can be a doule edged sword, so only do this with caution.

VlPER
posted 06-18-03 10:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
let me clear up something else. Some ppl said that even though you get more gold for longer routes, you get it less. That is not the case. The length of the route doesnt matter. The longer the route, the more gold you get.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames