You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » 6 1/2 hour stalemate.
Bottom
Topic Subject:6 1/2 hour stalemate.
hairballxavier
Banned
posted 10-26-03 10:46 AM EDT (US)         
I started the game with these settings:
victory contidion=conquest
elimination=conquest
teams and allies=custom diplomacy
map=big huge,secret random sea
difficulty=tough

Game started with 8 civs and there are 4 left.Russians(me),Bantu,mongols,and Nubians.Each civ started on its own landmass with a big ocean in the middle.The Bantu and Mongols are allied together and my former ally the Nubians declared war on me a long time ago.Also nobody will negotiate with me for any price.They all say"your arrogant nation must be stopped before it's too late".Can't use nukes because armegeddon clock has been at 1 for the last couple hours.

The problem is that anytime I start gaining ground in one place,I start losing it in another.It seems like its impossible to defend against 2 nations while attacking the other one.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me win this game?

AuthorReplies:
Bridger
posted 10-26-03 11:50 AM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Use capitol elimination to make these kind of games easier to win

Or launch arma

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Paralyticus
posted 10-26-03 12:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
In games vs. Computers, usually the one that you beat up will beg to ally soon. Then you can concentrate on the next one and so on...

try to find which one the others DON'T help when you attack him - then that is the one easierto dispatch.

Finally, when you attack one of them, do it to the weaker one of those two and attack in the part of his domain that is the most far away from his ally. This will make help more difficult and you may well gain terrain this way.

Other than this...

War
posted 10-26-03 01:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
Why do people turn all the victory conditions off and then moan that they can't win the game???
knight101_5
posted 10-26-03 09:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
I totally agree with you here War. Standard victory conditions can help you out alot, and make Supercollider a very powerful wonder. I feel there is no shame in a Wonder victory, since your opponents can build one themselves or try to capture or destroy yours, and the AI tries to bomb the crap out of mine. I hear players move the required points up, but I don't care since they did pay for the game and should play it the way they want, but disabling a wonder victory option gives Egypt a disadvantage.

Territory victory won't happen unless you are already ahead in the game anyway, so no need to turn that off.

The only map I would use Conquest elimination (not Conquest Victory) is Colonial Powers (the one where everyone starts on the same landmass and the goal is to build on the big land mass nearby).

If I had a game go on for 6 1/2 hours and had the armaggedon clock down to 1, I would just end it there and get the "draw", then move onto the next game.

Out_4_Blood
posted 10-26-03 10:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Totally agree, there's nothing wrong with "other" victory settings. But when playing the AI, the guy can choose whatever funky settings he wants. He just has to suffer when the game becomes impossible to win.
daoneandonlybest
posted 10-29-03 05:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
Wonder victory sux but the rest are ok. THe computer is just programmed to build wonder after wonder so you have to attack him sooner or l8er not counter attack. Territory is ok unless its a diplomacy 1vs1vs2 (by this stage) no more alliances possible. Then the 2 allied nation could take out one nation and the other would loose inocently. Even in a 4 player free for all this could happen. In my 1st online game I was dead nervous and 1 dominant players took all out except for me (he tried but i fought him off). I was just about to attack when I of the players (whom I had not even encountered yet) was dead. I took 1 of the dominant players cities when I thought this is too easy. THe following music told me why. THe last player (who bordered with me but had not attacked me yet) was dead and dominant player had 71% hence he won. MAke territory 75% I say.
knight101_5
posted 10-29-03 07:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
What's wrong with wonder victory? They cost a lot of resources, so you can do two things, strike their wonder or build your own. Supercollider is designed for a wonder victory the instant you have the points and click on world government.
hairballxavier
Banned
posted 10-29-03 09:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Thanks for the advice Paralyticus,I think I understand what you're trying to say.

And BTW my fellow conquerers,I am in no way "moaning" that I can't win the game(I will be victorius)or putting down this game in any way.I was just trying to get some advice from people who may have been in this situation.It sounds like everyone that ever was just gave up and decided to only play with easier victory conditions.I haven't had this game for very long,but this is the most fun I've had with the game yet.If you havn't tried playing big huge random secret sea map with 8 sides,very low resources and conquest victory and elimination conditions I suggest you do.It's fun.Lots of battles.

I do enjoy playing with other victory conditions.As a matter of fact I have played several games with standard vc's since I started the marathon game.I knew it would take a long time when I started it.There is no way I would want to play with conquest conditions on a big huge map in multiplayer.I would never have enough time.

Cool thing is that the 6 1/2 hour stalemate is no longer a stalemate.I've been learning to use hotkeys,learned how to set trade routes that won't be sacked and I'm getting much more accurate with the mouse.Now instead of a stalemate,I am gaining ground.I found a way of keeping the bantu off my western shoreline(and it's a long stretch of shoreline) when I'm attacking the nubians way up to the north.I made a wall of shipyards damn near all the way down the shore.Now they can't just land their transportts anywhere they please.Those shipyards have like 5000 hitpoint each,so it takes some effort to get through them.And after I secure the Island up in the NW that I've captured from the nubians, the bantu will be history.I have them cornered.Then it will be my 200 pop limit against 2 other nations(400) instead of my 200 against 3 nations(600).

It's now at 7 1/2 hours but it ain't no stalemate.And I've learned alot since the game started.

But of course any suggestions to help me win this game would still be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by hairballxavier (edited 10-29-2003 @ 09:50 PM).]

knight101_5
posted 10-29-03 09:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
What wonders are available, and what wonders are taken? I would try to get the collosus if it isn't too difficult.
Meteora
posted 10-29-03 11:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19       

Quote:

I made a wall of shipyards damn near all the way down the shore

That's very creative of you, if a bit expensive in a close game.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
hairballxavier
Banned
posted 10-31-03 11:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
After so long all the wonders have been taken.The collosus was destroyed a long time ago.I captured it and held it for a long time,but it was on a peninsula near the middle of the map.A very contested piece of ground.It was destroyed by enemy battleships.It really made me streamline my army when all of the sudden my pop cap was reduced by 50.I had the Kremlin and TCA too,but I built them too close to shore and they met the same fate as the collosus.

Right now I have the pyrimids,the colleseum,angor wat and the space program.The Mongols have supercollider and eiffle tower.The Nubians have no wonders and the Bantu have been defeated.But I have the feeling that the supercollider and eiffle tower will soon be mine.The Mongol cities are falling much easier than the bantu cities did.

The wall of shipyards defense seems to be the strategy to use on a map like this.There is so much shoreline that the only way to keep your enemies at bay is to just take away all of their landing zones.

And yes,Meteora,it is very expensive,but it is working.Right now after 9 hours and 11 minutes of battle I have 104 shipyards forming walls down my most vunerable coastlines.A shipyard now costs me over 2000 wood.

Actually I think that denying my enemy good landing zones is going to win this game for me.Right now I have about 60% to 70% of the map.Victory is near.

War
posted 11-01-03 05:38 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
You seem to be having fun hairballxavier
hairballxavier
Banned
posted 11-02-03 02:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
Yes I am having fun.And i've got the rest weekend off and just got me a case of bud AND a bag of bud.I'm about to load the game up and finish them off.First I'm going to eliminate the mongols,then I'm going after my old ally the Nubians.I feel kind of weird because I seem to take it personal that I have this extreme hatred for the Nubians.But they were my ally!We defeated Napolean,Queen Isibela and that other would be imperialist together.Then they declared war on me.King Taghfttrdarta or whatever his name is will have his blood dripping down my sword before this case of bud is gone.
Meteora
posted 11-02-03 04:20 AM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
Congratulations on turning the tide in your somewhat epic game.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
hairballxavier
Banned
posted 11-06-03 01:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Seems that the mongols were not the pushover that I thought they would be.When I first targeted them as my "next victim" a few of their cities fell quite rapidly.However they counter attacked and got a city back.And then another.And now the cities on that landmass are changing hands every few minutes or so.No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to get control over this landmass.Batu Kahn just keeps sending more and more armies,boats and airplanes.

After a while I just figured that the supercollider trade bonus was letting him keep up with my production.After all I had 37 cities and he only had 6.The SC was deep in his territory so when I tried to bomb it I would just end up losing my bombers to his fighters.So I just decided to get rid of the supercollider no matter what the cost.I ignored the "front" and just Q'd up stealth bombers at a bunch of airfields on a "safe" piece of land.Every time I lost a unit a stealth bomber would be created.After I had about 40 of them I sent them all to destroy the supercollider.And the supercollider was history.Since I had all those bombers in the vicinity I figured that I might as well take out the eiffle tower too.

In the process I lost 3 cities because of commiting such a large number of forces on 1 target.Do you guys think this was a smart move?The supercollider is a very powerful wonder,but it just didn't seem like there was any way in hell that I could capture and assimilate it.

The worst thing is that the mongols are still keeping up with my production.Maybee they saved up alot of cash and are using it to build more units and ward off my attacks.

I'm sorry if this is a noobie question,but is there any way a spy can find out how much resources are in the enemy coffers?

knight101_5
posted 11-06-03 01:21 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Well, the Supercollider is definitely a very powerful wonder given certain conditions, but in conquest only it is severely handicapped. I think BHG had in mind to make it the "instant win" wonder. Why don't you build fighters in response to his fighters? Just so you know, I love how powerful bombers are in this game. They rip alot of stuff up.

Was this a water map? If so, do you have carriers?

hairballxavier
Banned
posted 11-06-03 02:05 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
Yes Knight, it is a water map.There are 8 seperate landmasses and they are all about equal in size.The map looks kind of like a big huge spider smashed on the screen and it's body and legs are the water part.The rest is land.

Aircraft carriers only seem to help in navy emergency situations.Such as when I need a bunch of airplanes to defend against many enemy ships that I didn't realize were there because I was too busy fighting someplace else on the map.The planes that come off the carriers seem to be no match for the advanced fighters that come from an airbase.They get picked off very quickly by advanced fighters and missle cruisers.And usually the carrier is destroyed before I can even replace the fighters.

knight101_5
posted 11-06-03 02:54 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
Yeah, that is an annoying characteristic of this game. In real life, aircraft carrier planes can fare pretty well against land fighters, with the exception of the F-22. If you had the carriers, I would say use them but you don't, so let's see, what could you do...

I bet it was that eiffel tower that gave you problems. That oil can mean alot.

In the meantime, I would suggest trying to bomb some of the other things he has, particularly civilian targets not near AA (SAMs now) or their fighters.

Finwe
posted 11-06-03 02:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19       

Quoted from hairballxavier:

I'm sorry if this is a noobie question,but is there any way a spy can find out how much resources are in the enemy coffers?

I believe that if you put a Spy in a Market you will see the enemy's resource levels.

The right wing conservatives shall be annihilated in the coming revolution. Power to the people!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames