You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Im not getting better
Bottom
Topic Subject:Im not getting better
daoneandonlybest
posted 10-30-03 04:18 PM EDT (US)         
I could win vs the computer on tough with any civ doing peace till enlightenment in august. Admittedly I place less but I still cant win on peace till gunpowder on tough and I cant win and tougher by any means. LIving in Europe means that the time difference makes playing online almost impossible. Whenever I go online Friday 20:00 CET (14:30 et) there are possibly four games going: I sick 32player game, I deathmatch (i dont do them) 1 password game and a 1v1. So I host a 2v2 peace till info. I person always gets disconnected or leaves in the game coutomization faze so I have to start all over again. Once I got a game going and I jammed. Any ideas how I can improve off/on-line and what time I should play at on what days to get online games. On AOM there are always games even in the morning here (who plays at 9am) when its only main time for the australians coz its night in the USA. ALways at least 10 unrated and you can always find a rated!
AuthorReplies:
niDe
posted 10-30-03 04:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Yeah, gamespy does have a few connectivity issues, just sit tight and hold on for patch3

AU clan website: www.ronau.com!
thao
posted 10-30-03 05:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
dude, im european and i dont have problems.
i give you a tipp:
host 1 vs 1 games. youre getting much better than from teamgames.

trie this strat for them:
http://www.ron.pcgaminguniverse.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=972&

you will own with it
watch the rec i mentioned there too.

niDe
posted 10-30-03 08:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Haha thao...

You've been pimping that strat quite a lot lately :P

thao
posted 10-31-03 04:09 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
yeah cause its oustanding even against proper defense.
jock cheese
posted 10-31-03 06:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
Re the single player part of your question: just keep playing and enjoying it, and you will get there.

I found I have gone from getting whipped on tough to beating tougher 90% of the time just by playing lots of games. It's taken months but it's been fun.

I found playing CTW helped by making me think - getting me out of doing the cookie cutter starts. Also I learnt a lot from fooling around with rushing the AI - OK, it's a cheese tactic but it does teach you a lot.

I highly recommend turning off the "peace until ..." rules. You will soon find that you can beat the early AI attacks quite easily - often all you need to do is garrison your villagers, maybe send in a troop or two to clean up the remains.

The key I found to beating the AI is expansion - grab as much land as you can early, the AI doesn't forward built his cities enough. I usually just expand until our borders meet then attack with seige from the comfort of my own city (not the best multiplayer tactic however).

Above all, enjoy the challenge. The day I crack toughest will be a sad one because I'll have nowhere left to go...

niDe
posted 10-31-03 05:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       

Quoted from jock cheese:

The day I crack toughest will be a sad one because I'll have nowhere left to go...

Multiplayer my friend

[This message has been edited by niDe (edited 10-31-2003 @ 05:06 PM).]

daoneandonlybest
posted 11-01-03 11:06 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
If i turn off peace untill then i get whipped on tough. peace untill enlightenment is easy coz im industry when he (enlightenment) attacks and my tanks which have been upgraded from weakling knights rule supreme. So how do i get better? Im gonna try try some tough without peace untill on diplomacy and make alliances. I never attack untill info but i could try. uc i like to help my troops with helis!
Raven36
posted 11-01-03 12:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Well alot of people like to play normal games, I myself do not like peace games, I always forget peace and send horse archers who sit and die from attrition =/

- - - - _Au_RaveN - - - -
Finwe
posted 11-03-03 12:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I was looking over the strategy that thao referenced but have some questions:

1) I don't understand what is meant by this sentence:

"you build an 100wood/food eco with science, eco, civ,science, mil."

What exactly is that instructing me to do?

2) "so you have enough gold for 2-3 ha asap later"

What is "ha"?

3) "get eco2"

What is "eco2"?

4) "they have a fast 100 classic"

What does this mean in referring to the Mayan?

The right wing conservatives shall be annihilated in the coming revolution. Power to the people!
RollYerOwn
posted 11-03-03 12:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
You are probably not the only one - so;

1. Get to the maximum resource cap (after researching the first economy upgrade)of 100 wood and 100 food. While you do this you will have researched single upgrades at the library in this order: Science, economy, civics, science again, and then military.

2. Should give you enough $$$ to build 2-3 Horse Archers, as soon as possible.

3. The second economy upgrade at the library.

4. Can refer to any civ. But means that he thinks that Maya are particularly fast at getting the first age upgrade while having this 100/100 economy referred to in your first question.

Of course you will need mil2 b4 you can spam those ha

Finwe
posted 11-04-03 04:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
OK, I think I've got it now. When you guys refer to "eco" you are talking about Commerce research, right?

The right wing conservatives shall be annihilated in the coming revolution. Power to the people!
daoneandonlybest
posted 11-13-03 04:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
y dont u just call it handelsuebergrenze? what would the difference be? green or commerce will do!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames