You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Fort and Tower details.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fort and Tower details.
half_lotus
posted 11-02-03 08:54 PM EDT (US)         
Forts and Towers count as troops in your city radius when an opponent tries to capture a reduced city. Towers count as ~2 units, and forts ~5. If he has more troops but you have a fort/tower you will hold onto the city. Of course they will try to destroy these structures but its good to know. I read about this at the BHG site

Also generals, when garrisoned, add +1 to Range and Attack of a structure. I've been experimenting with very early forts and generals with Romans, and this comes in handy.

[This message has been edited by half_lotus (edited 11-02-2003 @ 09:20 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
The Union Army
posted 11-03-03 05:27 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
Lot of us knew it long ago.
Paralyticus
posted 11-03-03 06:20 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
The Union army guy:

Quote "Lot of us knew it long ago." unquote

This has to be one of the most idiot replies to a useful post.

For your information, since you don't obviously know about it, lots of us didn't know about it.

So what?... Are you saying that he shouldn't post useful information because you say you knew it?.. Come on, show more respect.

blue_thunder
posted 11-03-03 07:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
Yeah I agree with Paraliticus. And I didn't know that generals increase range. Thanks! What if you add 2 or more generals?

Ko nema para nemože ni da kara -Peko
Šumar is back!
niDe
posted 11-03-03 07:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
Just +1, no matter how many generals blue_thunder

AU clan website: www.ronau.com!

[This message has been edited by niDe (edited 11-03-2003 @ 07:41 AM).]

jedianakinsolo
posted 11-03-03 08:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
Too bad it dosn't stack, that would be sweet. Thx for posting Half-lotus, I didn't know about this.

I plan to live forever or die trying
-Unknown
RollYerOwn
posted 11-03-03 12:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
Yep, thanks. I didn't either.
blue_thunder
posted 11-03-03 03:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
I would be cool if you could put 25 generals, it would be triple cannon-ranged fort with huge attack

Ko nema para nemože ni da kara -Peko
Šumar is back!
The Union Army
posted 11-04-03 02:38 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
Its a duty of a player to find out about the game that he buys via information sites or by expriments. Many sites do offer such information and if a player FAILS to find such information and relys on other ppl to obtain it, how can they ever improve since no effort was made to discover new strategies. About the other posting " Roman Agression", many sites do offer such strategy. Such forums (like this) ought to come up with newer strategies instead of digging up old ones. About the sites which offer such strategies, I would put it on after I come back from my judo training. Please wait for them.
Out_4_Blood
posted 11-04-03 08:00 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
Ummm, THIS site IS one of those information sites that you're talking about. If they don't read about it here, where are they going to read about it? And this was someone who had information that others didn't and shared with them. Maybe it would be different if it were a newbie asking a question like "How do I counter cav?"

Don't be a jerk.

[This message has been edited by Out_4_Blood (edited 11-04-2003 @ 08:07 AM).]

The Union Army
posted 11-05-03 05:54 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
I'm not trying to be a jerk by not sharing info. Do you see real experts teaching ppl their tactics...NO. If I know sumthing about a game which would allow me to have an advantage, why must I tell others. Its up to them to find out. I made an effort to know why can't they?
MarcusMCM
posted 11-05-03 10:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
"put 25 generals..."

In real life, if you put so many generals in one place, they would be spedning so much time arguing who has seniority that their presence would probably detract from the defense. In fact I think if you have more than one general in a fort, your defense should drop in points!

I refer you to Fort Donelson, 1861.

I am a Grumpy Old Fart (gOf).
ZN=gOf_Marcus Sierra, Gamespy name: gOfMarcus
gOf Home
gOf Public Forum
knight101_5
posted 11-05-03 08:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       

Quote:

Ummm, THIS site IS one of those information sites that you're talking about.

What part of that don't you understand? Here we are with a small community trying to get a decent one going, yet here you are saying, "Go find it somewhere or experiment with it yourself." It is nice when people post useful things like that. Besides, a true member of community will provide information as well as take it.

This site is currently the largest cluster of RoN fans. It is here that great and mighty strategy will be either posted, or a link shall be posted taking us to the other web site that has it. Out_4_Blood shares freely things he finds because RoN is a hobby for him (right?), so why shouldn't other people? It is the duty of me to post this post to point out that it is nice when people post ideas to the game or nifty tips we didn't know about.

The point being, RoN is a game meant to be FUN, not for the "experts" to be withholding vital or non-vital strategy of the game.

I tell you what, use my "expert" advice on The Best Strategy Ever to get really good at the game, then tell everyone about how you were able to pull it off and how good it really works.

I'm sorry for the way it sounds, but come on, it's not like people are making tons of $ playing RoN.

[This message has been edited by knight101_5 (edited 11-06-2003 @ 01:34 AM).]

War
posted 11-05-03 09:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
The Union Army

You seem to be aware of a good number of sites with cracking info on the game and strategies posted by experts. How fortunate you are then that the people who contribute to those sites don't share your attitude but have a stronger sense of community and want to advance the game by helping others.

I guess some people are givers and some are just takers. And some people not only take but having taken are not happy that other people should also know.

Heaven games is a community site. It's where players help other players to promote the game. half_lotus was just being a good forumer by sharing what he felt was little known information of the game.

You talk about the duty of a player? wtf? A player has no such duty. A player is a customer of BHG, he spent his money on a game that he hope he will like. Want to talk about duty? Try having a go at BHG (or any games manufacturer) for not making any of this information available in a halfway decent manual!

jedianakinsolo
posted 11-05-03 10:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
Ow!! That was nasty War.

-Unknown
Out_4_Blood
posted 11-05-03 10:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21       

Quote:

I'm not trying to be a jerk by not sharing info. Do you see real experts teaching ppl their tactics...NO.

Yes, I see it all the time. There are several good sites listed at Rise of Nations Strategy and on the Big huge Games website.

Quote:

If I know sumthing about a game which would allow me to have an advantage, why must I tell others

Don't bother. Based on your attitude, I'm sure there's nothing you know that would be of help to anyone. Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath.
Hammer
posted 11-05-03 11:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
jedianakinsolo it may be harsh but everything War said is true. HL nice post keep 'em coming... they're always a good read.

Been rather busy for a while, but I see that the "heat" is still in the forum. Great little community here.

Long may the sharing and CONSTRUCTIVE criticisim continue (and those rather LARGE RTS gamer egos not get in the way... although on this point I think I am hoping for too much...lol =)

ceohammer
posted 11-06-03 07:32 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
Well it says that towers count as "about" 2 troops. I wonder if it stacks...meaning two towers count as about 4 troops.

Hammer

jedianakinsolo
posted 11-06-03 08:37 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
I know he's right. But I'm trying to imagine the Union Army's reaction.

-Unknown
Vasuviusrealm94
posted 11-06-03 12:53 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
...now there's a thought...

too many generals could be a bad thing. say, you are used to using two generals in an army, one for decoys and one to ambush. what if generals had something of an "ego" rating, wherein the more they used their abilities in relation to the number of troops in their radius, the rating would rise or fall. Add a second general, and the troops only listen to the more egotistical general. This might just delay the use of adding generals, but would be a nice little addition, at least to discuss. I doubt it would ever be in the game.

It might even be effective against enemy troops. Sort of like a spy ability. The general approaches an incoming force, and if he has a higher ego rating than the opposing general, he could convert some of their troops to turn sides.

Maybe I would just like to see an animation of the general standing on his horse, waving his arms frantically in the air, trying to get troops to pay attention to his orders.

This game really needs a good farce

Ernest Hemmingway once wrote; 'the world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.'
I agree with the second part
knight101_5
posted 11-06-03 02:22 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
I think this is simulated adequately enough with just one general giving the armor bonus.
half_lotus
posted 11-06-03 03:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
ceohammer, i havent tested it, but i would surely bet that they do stack.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames