You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » What Units Do You Normally Put In Your Armies?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What Units Do You Normally Put In Your Armies?
VitoCorleone14
posted 11-02-03 09:40 PM EDT (US)         
What types of units and how many does everyone here usually put in their armies? Also when is a good time to start building an army in a game?
AuthorReplies:
Fogel Xanadu
posted 11-02-03 11:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
I use all slingers... can't go wrong with slingers
knight101_5
posted 11-03-03 00:03 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
It all depends on when you are deciding to attack. Age means alot in choosing what units you are going to bring to a battle. Typically though, armies will consist of a good mix of everything available. Also, your nation will make a huge influence on the units you build. Since RoN uses a ramping cost system, it is a good idea to have 2 or 3 infantry types, 2 or 3 cavalry types, etc.

Unlike other games, you really do need to bring siege along. I am not the expert in the number of cannons you need to bring along, but I think it really depends on the situation. Expect to need a lot of cannons for Mayan opponents, since it will take longer to knock down all of their stuff. Always have at least 3 with you.

Supply wagons are important too. If you are playing against the computer on easiest, you shouldn't need to worry about them too much unless you are against Russians. At Easy and above, the computer will research the attrition technologies which hurt your troops when you enter enemy territory. You should always have at least 2 wagons with an army, preferably 4. I use F1, F2, F3, and F4 to control each individual wagon.

Build a fort so you can get a few generals too. They aren't necessary for raiding, but they help your main army alot. Each of their abilities is great when used right. For now, bring about 4-5 generals with your army so you can employ all of their tactics in battle whenever you want. I typically bring 1 or 2 per group.

You should also have a few scouts with your infantry line. They can see stuff other units can't see, and they get abilities later in the game like sabotage and sniper.

As for when to attack, that is really your decision to make, but it is influenced greatly by your nation. Of course, you should also utilize your good unique units whenever possible.

knight101_5
posted 11-03-03 00:04 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Lol Fogel.
jedianakinsolo
posted 11-03-03 09:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       

Quote:

I use all slingers... can't go wrong with slingers

Unless he attacks you with all Heavy Infantry.

Good post Knight!

I plan to live forever or die trying
-Unknown
daoneandonlybest
posted 11-03-03 12:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Isnt variety the best alternative? Oviously u have to know how to use each!!!
Out_4_Blood
posted 11-03-03 03:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
This is my main beef with RON.

A good army will usually consist of the same elements:

HI - to kill cavalry
Archers - to kill HI
LI - to kill archers
Cavalry - to flank with
General - to command (providing bonuses)
Spies - to bribe
Scouts - to see spies and later snipe
Siege - to take down buildings
Supply - to comabt attrition and speed up siege firing

Both ramping costs and and the absurd RPS extremes are what force you to use this common army platform.

Occasionally, you'll see some differences (e.g., I rarely use supply wagons) but by and large, an army lacking one of these components is vulnerable.

blue_thunder
posted 11-03-03 03:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
It is very important to have diffrent units in army. More diffrent units you have-less units will you loose. Now, simply bringing lots of army is not enought, it will result in a mess. It is really important, when fighting a big battles, to use control groups.

All units of same tipe should be in their control groups. Also, decoyes and diversions should have separate groups, spies too, and supply wagons with generals. It is important to have supply and generals in mind since thy will stand behind when you attack, and they should be a bit in middle. Supplyes will stop attrition in radius/ generals will increase armor in radius, and that is unuseful if they stay behind. (Exceptions-later on, supplyes and generals have big enoug range to stay behind)

When you see group of units coming, press a number which will call counters of that units-and slain them.

Ko nema para nemože ni da kara -Peko
Šumar is back!
Raven36
posted 11-03-03 03:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
I myself, and many other people only use 1 barrak unit + 1 cav unit + spys+scouts+general+siege+supply

- - - - _Au_RaveN - - - -
G0dSpiral
posted 11-04-03 09:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
I do the same as Raven. the trouble with a little of everything is the upgrade costs. Age 6 is when I start diversifying.
daoneandonlybest
posted 11-04-03 02:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Having a control group for all of ur HC and all of ur LC etc is a good way to get em slaughtered. Have a HK for well balanced armyno1 well balanced army no2 etc and mayb for ur different airforces. Mayb have a few cavalry units in group to flank but I use HC and LC. If ur good at multitasking then dont forget micro (i do )
Fogel Xanadu
posted 11-04-03 05:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Alot of what happens is how you use your units. I like to keep my cav seperate from my main army because in standard formations, heavy inf is in front. So if your army gets lured or something, your cav might get slaughtered, leaving your own heavy inf open to archer fire.

5 generals is overkill, in my opinion. that is ALOT of gold/metal that could be going to HC, spies, and scouts. I'd rather have 5+ spies/commandos then 5+ generals. I build 2 generals usually, incase one gets killed/sniped.

Also, unique units CAN be a factor. The range advantage on firelancers for example, make them very powerful. Don't forget that the spanish tercios is the only ranged heavy infantry unit in gunpowder age, making them more effective in this age then standard heavy infantry.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames