You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Cities: weird qestior
Bottom
Topic Subject:Cities: weird qestior
blue_thunder
posted 11-03-03 07:36 AM EDT (US)         
My friend asked me a qestion which I couldn't answer: Why is important to build cities? He is n00b and he builds only 2 cities. I build as many I can and I see that everybody do this. But really, I don't know the answer on question 'why is having city so important?' If you play Inca so you have gold and use forts to push borders?

Ko nema para nemože ni da kara -Peko
Šumar is back!
AuthorReplies:
niDe
posted 11-03-03 07:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
More territory, resource control and trade routes, also extra universities and farms. Lots of reasons to have many cities.

AU clan website: www.ronau.com!
jedianakinsolo
posted 11-03-03 08:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
More farms, more wonders, more of everything.

I plan to live forever or die trying
-Unknown
jabroni
posted 11-03-03 09:15 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Basically, like what the previous posters noted: more of everything.

But this begs the question: how many cities are enough?

Personally, I have won games (both team and 1 vs 1) with only 3 cities and lost games with 4 or 5 cities. I have always wondered how many cities do other players like to build.......what is the optimal size for most players?

A friend of mine loves playing to info and getting his cruise missiles so he builts at least 5 or more cities just for the Unis. I prefer not more than 4 as to many cities confuse me.....

Out_4_Blood
posted 11-03-03 12:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
More of everything is not really true.

Food, Timber and Metal. On most maps, you can keep yourself capped on pretty much everything with only three cities, as long as you efficiently use production boosters (granaries, etc.) 15 farms produces +450 food. With 3 cities that's +480. If you had any fishing or rares you'd be capped out. Same for timber and metal.

Wealth. 4 cities allows 6 trade routes, and, of course, in team games, you only need one city for a lot of trade routes. More cities means more territory, and that means increased taxation, but if you are capped for wealth from caravans and fishing, then extra territory would go to waste. Taxation is a good reason for expansion though.

Knowledge. Extra cities also enable you to make more universities and to produce knowledge. If you are booming that's great, but usually there will be fighting early on and so having more than three full universities can be a little overkill, particularly if you use the university upgrades.

Oil. This is the biggest reason I end up making more cities. If you have a small territory, then you can be competitive up until Industrial Age. At that point Oil becomes important and requirs you to have a big territory to have access to the oil wells. Also, you can put a refinery in EACH town to give you +33% oil production. If you only had 3 towns, that would only be 2x. But if you had 6 towns, you could be at 3x, plus you'd have easy access to a lot more oil wells.

Rare resources. Having access to good rare resources is an excellent reason for making more cities and controlling space.

Denial of resources. Not to be forgotten is the flipside of the coin to the above - denying resources from your enemy. You can squeeze your opponent out of valuable resources like oil, rares, and fishing lakes (e.g., African Watering Hole). This is a great reason for extra cities. This is the reason the "border push" is so powerful.

Depth. Another major reason to make lots of cities is to create defensive depth to your empire. (Depth used to be one of the Characteristics of the Defense). Empty border cities are great for keeping the enemy far from your capital and your economy. Having deep borders with heavy attrition discourages raiding. It also foces the battles closer to the heart of the enemy and away from you.

Wonders. If you like to build wonders, then you are going to want to have a few extra cities, since you can only place one wonder in each city (Egyptians get two). I usually only try to get 3 wonders or so, so this isn't a big deal for me.

[This message has been edited by Out_4_Blood (edited 11-03-2003 @ 01:11 PM).]

blue_thunder
posted 11-03-03 03:13 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
But player with 2 cities will always loose. WHY???
And Inca mountains will provide gold only on start, since smelter doesn't effect gold gathering.

Ko nema para nemože ni da kara -Peko
Šumar is back!

[This message has been edited by blue_thunder (edited 11-03-2003 @ 03:14 PM).]

Out_4_Blood
posted 11-03-03 03:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Not true. I've beaten players by using ONE city. Of course, that's by rushing and that occurs before the other reasons for building cities have any impact.

If you only have two cities, you probably aren't able to max out wealth and will have limited knowledge flow. You'd also be limited in the number of rares you could safely get as well as oil.

Sublime_LordAOF
posted 11-04-03 05:17 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
The number of cities should pertain to the stratagey you are attempting. The mil first strat only needs one city, a later flowing rush needs two. A medevil assualt needs 3-4, it all depends on what you are doing.

A city; gathers resources, extends borders, creates vills, can garrison units, can fire when garrisoned, gives you another place to build building that are only allowed to be buiilt in a city.

jabroni
posted 11-04-03 10:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
"The number of cities should pertain to the stratagey you are attempting. The mil first strat only needs one city, a later flowing rush needs two. A medevil assualt needs 3-4, it all depends on what you are doing."

Actually, I usually launch my medieval with only 2 cities and 3rd city up and coming, during the melee. It worked on a few occasions. And from the medieval melee, the game went all the way into industrial with me only playing with 3.

So if the medieval should come when 3-4 cities are up, what is the usual timing for that?

Fogel Xanadu
posted 11-04-03 05:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
The longer a game goes, the more optimal it is to build more cities. 2 cities can only have 1 caravan but 3 cities can have 3 caravans. Also, 2 universities will most likely not get you past enlightenment anytime soon unless you have alot of knowledge rares. There's a multitude of other reasons that have already been stated but the point stands, longer game = more cities.
MarcusMCM
posted 11-05-03 10:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Another good reason to have more cities, losing one will not have the impact that losing one if you only have 2 or 3 cites.

I am a Grumpy Old Fart (gOf).
ZN=gOf_Marcus Sierra, Gamespy name: gOfMarcus
gOf Home
gOf Public Forum
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames