You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » What is your plan for library research?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What is your plan for library research?
mingj
posted 11-07-03 01:35 PM EDT (US)         
According to the purpose of the strategy and feather of nations, we all have our plans for library research.

I favor Chinese, and my strategy is booming econ, so my early age plan is
Sci 1 --> Civil 1 (build new city)--> Econ 1 (build Market)
--> Sci 2 (build temple) --> age 2 --> Military 1(build 2 Universities) --> Econ 2 (build min) --> Civil 2 (build city3)

its defect is too easy to be rushed by other nation in early ages. I think there is better plan of booming econ, because I have seen other player booming 1 third of score higher than mine with Chinese.

AuthorReplies:
jedianakinsolo
posted 11-07-03 01:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Sci1 (temple)-->civ1 (city)--> eco1(market, and right after that, caravan)-->sci2-->civ2 (another city, and another caravan)-->mil1-->Classical.

I do the temple after sci so that my city will stretch further out. And I get the caravans in as fast as possible so that I have more wealth for when I hit classical, for thats when getting as much scholars as you can is all-important. Sometimes I do Eco2 before classical, but that's expensive and it's easier and cheaper to do it classical.

I plan to live forever or die trying
-Unknown
nuselman
posted 11-07-03 02:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Why do you need to stretch your city further when you just start the game? Is there any bonus at the early stage at all?
jedianakinsolo
posted 11-07-03 04:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Remember what I said about as much gold as possible? Taxation is based on the percentage of the map you own. More territoy is more gold, plus, you're that much closer to the enemy.

-Unknown
half_lotus
posted 11-07-03 04:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
In many cases it is smart to get your third city up first so you can be the border pusher, and not the pushee. On MANY maps the middle of the map contains the best resources (forests on Great Sahara, the lake on Watering Hole, the mountain on Himilayas, etc). In these cases controlling the middle of the map can be the deciding factor in a game. I'm gonna pimp my article some more and direct you to Adjusting on the Fly which analyzes library research based on several factors.
jedianakinsolo
posted 11-07-03 06:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Good nation for this is the Bantu. And the wood saved means eco1 and a market.

Half_lotus, does your post above agree with me or no?

-Unknown
half_lotus
posted 11-07-03 06:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Certainly Bantu are good at grabbing territory, and they save a ton on their cities.

Generally speaking I would say it's better to get Comm2 before Civ2 just because it is bigger boost to economy. But the third city is often crucial to reaching the Comm 2 cap (unless you have exceptional rares), so it pays to research civ2 and comm2 as closely as possible.

Or you can also get Comm 2 first, delay Civ 2, and grow your economy with Granaries/Mills, rather than more farms/wood camps in a third city. Granaries and Mills take longer to build but are better value than another farm/woodcamp.

Border pushing isn't so key for taxation as it is for grabbing mountains, forests, and rares. The middle of the map often contains the most valuable rares: diamonds, gems, papyrus, etc; Watering Hole for example. But on some maps the most valuable rares are in the corners. Great Sahara is like that.

[This message has been edited by half_lotus (edited 11-07-2003 @ 06:46 PM).]

knight101_5
posted 11-15-03 10:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
With Chinese I would go for a Science 1 to Science 2 so I could get the better ruin bonus.
danywar
posted 11-15-03 11:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
sci1, comm1, mill1 ,temple,granary,lumber mill, sci2,barracks,civ1, new city, fill farm limit, etc.etc.

Am I the only one who likes
my pet, the great pithouphis catenifer?
Out_4_Blood
posted 11-15-03 11:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
knight101_5 - You can't go SCI2 right off the bat with Chinese - not enough gold.

mingj - I use that exact build orde with Chinese. Chinese are very hard to rush, so not to worry. And I've never been behind any other player economically using that build on land maps. On water, you'd probably do an early COM1 and water boom instead.

knight101_5
posted 11-16-03 02:47 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
You just manipulate the first ruin into a wealth ruin that's all.
Fogel Xanadu
posted 11-16-03 03:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
I usually do civ 2 before com 2 because

1. you can get more caravans up sooner

2. you're the border pusher, not the pushee

3. its easier to hit the next com cap with 3 cities, especially if that 3rd city is next to a particular resource that you're low on (i.e. lack of mountains/forests etc)

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames