You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Free-For-Alls: Survival of the Fittest
Bottom
Topic Subject:Free-For-Alls: Survival of the Fittest
knight101_5
posted 11-07-03 05:41 PM EDT (US)         
AuthorReplies:
jedianakinsolo
posted 11-07-03 06:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       

Quote:

I have been playing some interesting games lately, mostly free-for-alls on the Tough setting right now.

Just tough?

But really, you've done a lot of thinking on this. I am more of a diplo person. But the times I do FFA, I find that the best map for it is african watering hole, since you only have one opponent, on either side. But in all, good write-up.

I plan to live forever or die trying
-Unknown
RollYerOwn
posted 11-07-03 06:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
I would like to hear other players experience of FFA's online. They are strategically very different games in my experience.

For instance - mostly players boom to a point of having some kind of large city-crushing army. Might happen any time from Gun to Info.

Most players do not 'rush', either ancient, classic or med.
Getting involved in early combat will mean you are falling behind on ageing. This might mean you are successful at beating up your neighbour, but are fooked later when your paltry industrial army is knackered by stealth jets.

So when is the optimum time to begin taking control?
I reckon a large tooled up army in age V is about the best time. Age to industrial while you are attacking and get the oil flowing. Leave it any later than this and you risk complications of nukes in 5 -10 mins. Any sooner, you risk falling too far back in ages to compete. Attacking now - will catch plenty of boomers that don't think they have to build an army 'til at least industrial - and will not let you fall too far behind. Mebee ;-)

I'd like to hear from those rushers that have succeeded in keeping up, while knocking out a few young enemies...

knight101_5
posted 11-07-03 06:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
I can handle one Tough opponent quite easily now, and even in the FFA's Tough isn't that tough anymore. I will probably be stepping up a level within a couple of weeks. Hey, I also have classes which I have to take care of here at the university.
RollYerOwn
posted 11-07-03 06:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
What good are the classes going to do you? Play more RoN! It's obvious...
knight101_5
posted 11-07-03 06:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
knight101_5
posted 11-12-03 06:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Ok, here is an update to my Civics First topic. This is with 2 other computer opponents on a FFA. Recently, I have been trying a different kind of build. Not recommended for Spanish or Chinese or any other nation with some kind of additional bonus with science.

1. Civics first. Why? I can use the wood for getting up my 2 farms, and they give a completion bonus I can depend on more than ruins earlier.

2. Set scout waypoints. Get him moving searching around for stuff. Since Science 1 is not researched, he won't see quite as many ruins so I can save them for later. I will still get some for critical resources needed throughout the game.

3. Build a new city. Like I said when I started this off, I would prefer to build along the side instead of pushing for the middle. I play random land map.

4. Commerce. I can get a market up now so I can get rare resources and also raise my commerce cap.

5. Science 1. Once I get enough wood again, I can get this now.

6. Science 2 or Commerce 2 depending on the circumstances for my game. Commerce 2 is a very important technology.

7. The other one in step 6 or classical.

On free for alls, I implement a no rush for 10 minutes, since anyone who rushes in a free for all is going to lose anyway because of the crappy economy that results.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames