You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » French 150 strategy write-up.
Bottom
Topic Subject:French 150 strategy write-up.
half_lotus
posted 11-24-03 04:44 PM EDT (US)         
Here's a strat write-up at RoNU for an early French attack. Also an example recorded game.
AuthorReplies:
half_lotus
posted 11-25-03 02:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
French 150 vs 2k+ Mayan, recorded game here.
half_lotus
posted 11-25-03 06:50 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
Analysis of the game and the strat here.
G0dSpiral
posted 11-25-03 08:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
Pretty darn fast!

I guess though any nation can do it without the supply wagon. That supply wagon comes in very handy after a tough fight for a city you just won though. And the fast scooting siege and wagon also help the French with their version of this attack.

This is also an excellent strat against Maya since they could be lazy with military, but more importantly it hits them before age 3 and the big city upgrades that happen then.

One good way to guard against it is to be weary of a super fast classical (skipping sci2).

Fogel Xanadu
posted 11-25-03 09:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
don't forget the supply wagon keeps seige firing at full speed. That probably puts them on par with turks in capability with early classical seige attacks.
half_lotus
posted 11-25-03 10:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
You could delay your Classical and get military 1 and 2 in Ancient. The Mil2 would cost timber instead of metal and would compensate for the lost metal by delaying aging.
G0dSpiral
posted 11-26-03 08:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Interesting. You'd also be stuck at 100/100 longer though. You're right about it costing a little less metal.

To compensate that it's slower, is the additional surprise factor.

I guess it shows the importance of early raiding or at least early raiding defense. This will definitely burn anyone who tries to sneak by without military for 8 minutes.

It makes me rethink the benefits of sci2 before classical.
Though you have nothing else to spend gold early on, and you will get it back eventually (fairly quick) through ruins and savings, it does make it longer before you can classical, and just a touch longer before com2.

Out_4_Blood
posted 11-26-03 10:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 24       

Quote:

This will definitely burn anyone who tries to sneak by without military for 8 minutes.

This is exactly what happened in the recorded game against the 2k+ Mayan player. No military buildings at all until 8:30! And it's not like he was booming hard. He never even maxed out his econ at COM2.
half_lotus
posted 11-26-03 04:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
The Mayan was border pushing. The vast majority of players will have a handful of cavalry and maybe a couple of infantry (usually just a rax) at the 8 minute mark when this attack hits. It's very hard to stop with so little military.

[This message has been edited by half_lotus (edited 11-26-2003 @ 04:47 PM).]

thao
posted 11-26-03 05:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
true, but now we all know about the french 150 and can avoid loosing against it
half_lotus
posted 11-26-03 05:31 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
And while you're planning for my 150, I'll ancient rush or boom to gunpowder. =)
Raven36
posted 11-26-03 11:49 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
How can you tell if hes planning for it seeing as its impossible to scout mayan (auto-shooting TC)

- - - - _Au_RaveN - - - -
half_lotus
posted 11-27-03 01:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
Because he just said he was.
smokeythedog
posted 12-05-03 09:28 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
Wow Lotus, this strat kicks ass...

Ive tried it like five times, and havent failed yet

I took on three guys in a 3v3 with this strat! Please rate my skill!

Download

Oh yeah, I don't know if this is a bug or not, but bombers will not drop bombs after the first run if they are flying at the corner of the map. (watch the end)

[This message has been edited by smokeythedog (edited 12-05-2003 @ 10:20 AM).]

Out_4_Blood
posted 12-05-03 10:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
Yea, I played/watched a 4on3 with El_Capitan. It was gonna be 4on4, but I Wifey was on her way home, so I just did co-op with EC. He did a French Attack likek this and wiped out 2 guys (inters) completely, the other 2 resigned adfter he took the 3rd guys capital.
half_lotus
posted 12-05-03 01:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
The French have bombers too?? ^^

Maya and Spain give me the hardest time as french. Maya requires almost perfect play to beat with this strat...the margin of error is so small, I usually just try to outboom them. Spain is just wicked in the first 3-4 ages, and their raiding is a big pain in the ass. I don't know what to do against them except play defense until undustrial.

edit: I watched the game smokie, that was ownage, you took on all three of them. They were rookies, but dont worry you can beat good players with it too. ^^ You did a little more booming than I usually do (got sci2 and medieval). This is a probably a good idea in team games where a rush can leave you high and dry. The healing supply wagons means you can be more aggressive in team games and FFAs.

[This message has been edited by half_lotus (edited 12-05-2003 @ 02:07 PM).]

smokeythedog
posted 12-05-03 11:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
What does the "150" mean? Does it mean you attack at the 150 commerce cap?
G0dSpiral
posted 12-06-03 08:58 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
Its a bit of a misnomer... It should actually be called the 10 farm attack, as you are maxing out an economy for 2 cities, then pumping out military with it.
KIWI_rootfifth
posted 12-14-03 09:13 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
damn i must be doing something wrong, the earliest i can get there is 8:30, thats with 3 hi 3 archers,4 hc, 2ha and 3 catas! help me!please
KIWI_rootfifth
posted 12-14-03 09:15 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
thats a full minute late!
KIWI_rootfifth
posted 12-15-03 09:28 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
damn thanks for the help guys...
Fogel Xanadu
posted 12-15-03 10:08 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
You just need to practice your execution. Watch the replay again and keep trying to mimic it over and over.
KIWI_rootfifth
posted 12-15-03 10:39 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
for some reason my real one player wont let me download rec games thats y i cant follow replays... can u get it right fog? if u can, if u want we can coop next time u see me in the lobby n u have time so i can follow that recorded game or anybody that reads this n can get it in 7:30. please!!!!!
half_lotus
posted 12-16-03 00:17 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
Kiwi I can email you a couple replays if you want. I don't know what tell you about improving your time unless I see a game...post one at RoNU and I'll check it out. Main thing is getting as many ruins as possible, and getting to +100 asap then to +150 asap. Lately I leave my city when I have 2 catas, 2 HI, and a few cav...then let the rest of the army follow behind.
KIWI_rootfifth
posted 12-16-03 05:35 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
half_lotus i fixed the prob i had, now i can download recs...... so i saw what i was doing wrong now ill stop being a pain in the ass thanks for all ur help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames