You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Another Newbie Question..........
Bottom
Topic Subject:Another Newbie Question..........
cumminspuller
posted 12-04-03 07:30 PM EDT (US)         
I took some your hints you had given me last time I posted questions and they helped out tremendously. Now the problem I am running into is playing with the dificulty set to moderate. The computer just seems to out due me. Also what resource are we gathering the gives us metal? My last game played on moderate the computer got me again. I could never gain enough metal to continue to build units. And my city locations were not close enough to mountains to gain a significant amount of gold.

Jason

AuthorReplies:
Firre
posted 12-04-03 08:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
First off, you gather metal from the mountains, not gold.

When you build your second city, try to build it close to a mountain, to do this u need, of course, to scout. If you can't build your city close to a mountain then build it as close as possible. And even if your mines is not inside the city radius u can still gather metal from them.

Another thing to boost up your metalgathering is to build a smelter. To do this u need science lvl 3.

Some rare resources also gives you metal. Most of them +10 but Copper gives you +20. So try to get that one by the time u go to classical.

If you got alot of gold u can also buy metal.

I hope this helps you a little bit.
Maybe the others can give you some better advice, but this is kinda the basics.

Dear Lord can u feel my pain ?
If you can't, it's alright, cause I'ma live my life anyways!
petachoks
posted 12-04-03 10:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
First of all make sure to watch a recording. Get it from the MFO website. Second go to multiplayer and play some newb games. You will initially get crushed, but watch the recordings and see your mistakes.

Ok, you have to build your second city so that a big mountain or forest is withing the city radius. When you build gathering building, it is best to build them withing the city radius, because only then do the gathering technologies affect them.

You have to build the smelter, lumber mill, and grainary in EACH city that has that particular resource in it.

Post your recording, I'll watch it and give you further tips.

Rohag
posted 12-04-03 11:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Do / Consider all the above.

Some other things to think about:

• Mountains vary in their number of miner slots; the biggest have 8-10 I think. You might want to consider building one or two cities as your special "metal production centers" complete with smelters.
  • By itself, a smelter boosts the production of all mines within its city's limits by 20%. With other research prerequisites filled, you can research production upgrades of 50%, 100% and 200%.
  • The Angkor Wat wonder gives you +50 metal income and adds 100 to your metal commerce cap.
  • The Kremlin wonder increases your metal commerce cap by 200.
  • Among other bonuses, the Germans receive smelter upgrades at a 50% discount and their cities automatically provide +10 metal income.

Oh, the standard way to accumulate wealth (gold) in RoN is by trade, which you can start to do after you build your second city. Once city #2 is up and you have a market, build a caravan and it will automatically go off to establish a wealth-producing trade route.

• Teunic Virus
    posted 12-04-03 11:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
    Play as the Germans. The got a great econ, and their cities gather metal also.
    half_lotus
    posted 12-04-03 11:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
    Smelter increases metal gather by 50%...upgrades are 100% and 200%.
    YuryE
    posted 12-05-03 00:40 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
    also....moder level is unfair, i hate it
    cumminspuller
    posted 12-06-03 01:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
    Thanks everyone for replying. I haven't played in a few days but I will try and record a game.

Petachoks: When I play and reocrd a game for you do you want me to play moderate level (that is the level that is kicking my as*) or do you just want me to play the easy level? I have to admit after about 30 minutes in moderate I get so pissed off and just quite.

thanks again,

Jason

KOM
    posted 12-07-03 09:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
    I had a hard time winning Moderate a long time ago. What did was I played custom rules instead.I first set it as deathmatch resoures then started to move towards standard. When I reached standard, I set the game as conquest with peace timer for 30 mins (Played against the spanish). After winning that game and others of the same kind, I managed to win moderate using standard rules.

Linus

Deecie
    posted 12-12-03 07:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
    Yeah, moderate and hard can be tricky at first. The thing holding me back is I'm very good at holding the computer back until info age + global prosperity when I bomb the hell out of them, but during this time I usually build so many wonders I unwillingly start the wonder timer, and I win. While I win the game, it hardly increases my skills, and it took me a long time to get past that. Try playing a game with ridiculously high wonder victories, like 30 points or something. It'll ensure that you win by learning to play the harder way. Also set territory victory to, say, 90%.
    Ugh
    posted 12-12-03 08:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
    You porblem is you are not using keyboard enough...

to beat computer place three barraks, three stable and two siege at the edge of your border nearest to computer.

build an army and don't forget to have a scout and a general there

when fighting keep hitting shft+k or shift+s or shift+o to replenish your troops as needed , if you do this you could never lose to computer

Oh an one more thing, use spies to protect from early computer attacks, simply keep converting his artillery and the rest of troops will die as they try to take a city..

Official rich amertican uncle...
    violin
    posted 12-15-03 05:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
    There are different approaches to this issue.

I am currently able to win with any civ against any civ in land maps in TOUGH level (but not tougher, still yet to crack it). You can do this by doing multiple different ways. The easiest civilization is Chinese as it has great defensive abilities and instant citizens to speed up economy.

Build order:

SCI1, CIV1 (in the same time, max out your timber +70 and build 5 farms with citizens), build second city, com1, hit production cap on timber/farms, either sci2 or mil1, build barracks and a tower in the forward city, create 1-2 bowman, garrison them into the cities (so it'll automatically fire) if they scout you.

This only works with the computer player (with humans you'd b eraided by now), so what you do is a delay classical. You hit production cap after you get SCI2 and COM2 (no classical = substituting food for knowledge) and CIV2 (third city, bring a couple of bowman up for raid defenses), then either classical or mil2 and then classical, immediately build three "schools" , and start building up metals. Build a stables immediately create a few HA's, then raid them (you hit a copule of citizens, the move them back to the stables to heal, and so on, you need to do this quite a while), build a siege factory, and build a castle.

You should be hitting 150 production cap in at least food/wood and should be close to 150 in metal (use production enhance buildings). The three schools you built should give you enough knowledge to advance to medieval almost after you build them (so basically you skip upgrading your military until medieval). Go to medieval upgrade everything and hit them with your army.

Works with computer all the time, works with players that are booming and not attacking you (they'd go classical first but would have to spend a lot of time waiting for knowledge to get up to upgrade everything). But weak against early raids.

If you're having problems with AI< play against the Greek, they're usually the weakest, then other defensive nations then offensive ones.

With this you should be able to beat Tough level and able to basically take 1-2 of his cities by enlightenment time. The game may be over before industrial, but i always play unti modern and watch his calvary trying to chrage my machine guns :-)

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames