Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Army vs. Economy
Bottom
Topic Subject:Army vs. Economy
samstein12345
posted 12-07-03 05:30 PM EDT (US)         
Hi. I bought the game a couple of days ago and i've had a great time with it but i have one question...I've noticed that there might be benefits to attacking early on while the other player (or computer) is just starting. however, im more of the guy that builds up the economy and then builds the army around enlightenment or gunpowder age. so first, is there a way to not get destroyed while building my economy? and should i abondon this way and go for military early? what are the pros and cons?
AuthorReplies:
War
posted 12-07-03 06:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Ah, welcome to strategy, eother way is good, but it depens what you do and what the other guy does and what contingencies you put in place.

Oh, and also how good you are too

G0dSpiral
posted 12-07-03 06:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
When playing against the computer you can play defensive and focus on your economy. You should either have a fair bunch of unupgraded troops lying around or several barracks and stables so you can build a ton in a hurry. Also have temples and towers at every city, and when one of them gets attacked put all your troops behind the city and wait while they upgrade. You do need some preparation, because the computer will attack before enlightenment.
Astro Tarquin
posted 12-14-03 08:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
It depends on CPU level, on tough I've had them hitting me within 5 min. of the beginning of the game, still can't figure out how they did it though. I like to build defensively as well. Either play Russians or Maya... Maya are stronger economically, but if you can catch an attack force early, then you can kill the Supply Wagon, and force them to take way more attrition damage then would be acceptable to most people. Towers and Forts are absolutely required if you are playing defensively. Another good Idea is to get the Colluseum, as well as the Versailles, I believe. Garrison troops in any solitary Cities, as well. I like to have around twenty troops up as early as possible, then won't spend money on troop upgrades until I need to.

Remember the Romans, 'nuff said
Those who are successful are those who learn to think
Ugh
posted 12-15-03 01:14 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Against AI always make sure you have a tower and a temp in your foremost city. later make sure you have a fort so you can have two or three spies and then simply keep converting AI's artillery pieces untill you have an army. But don't wai too long of you didn't take at least one of AI's cities by Enlightment age get ready for a long battle...

Official rich amertican uncle...
KRool
posted 12-15-03 07:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
As the Incas, I tend to make 1 or 2 early harrassment (spelling?) attacks, then wall-up, build-up. Then I do the natural out-teching, and crush them with superior technology and/or numbers.

So in all cases, Economy >> Military for me.

K.Rool,
Master of unnecessary knowledge...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames