You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Defensive strategys
Bottom
Topic Subject:Defensive strategys
heburnll
posted 12-10-03 07:01 PM EDT (US)         
Ive deiceded to start this game back up and i was wondering if you guys knew any defensive strategys, build placement, time to build units etc
AuthorReplies:
War
posted 12-10-03 08:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
A few tips on defenses:

1) Always build your military/forts/towers just behind your cities, not in front.

2) Build watch towers by shooty buildings (towers/forts)

3) Spies can really save you in defence, taking the siege away.

4) Garrison troops in defence, especially if out numbered, keeps them safe while you build up and adds to the attack of towers/cities etc.

5) In fact always garrison your troops when not in use, hides their numbers and keeps them safe from poaching spies.

6) Troops in the open should always be under a general, entrench everything and decoy everything.

7) Always have a scout with your army.

8) Build cities behind natural terrain like forests and mountains. Cities can't be destroyed so downt worry about him pounding on them if he can't get his troops there to capture it.

9) Rivers own. Put your cities a few tiles behind a river so any sieging force has to sit in the river bed. Slaughter at will.

10)Put various infantry on rocks, they get a defensive bonus (hover over the rock terrain with your mouse for details)

11) Keep cavalry separate and to one side, wait for battle to be joined then smash them into the flanks and rear for devastation

12) Build a few (don't go mad) towers to protect your key resource gatherers from raiders. Don't put them on borders as a defence, this is an offensive tactic. Defensive towers are just target practice.

ceohammer
posted 12-10-03 08:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
As far as tip #1, I like to use a combo if I know where the attack may come from. It's also useful if you think you may be facing an early classical/medival rush. I build a tower in the back of the city as you say but I also build one out front towards the enemy's attack direction. it's sole purpose is to buy me an early warning and maybe a minute of time b4 the siege starts banging on my city. All of which gives me time to get my army set for the hopeful slaughter when he does move up to take the city.

Hammer

War
posted 12-10-03 09:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
let him bang on your city all he wants, he can't destroy it.
petachoks
posted 12-10-03 10:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
If he has siege then a tower behind a city is kind of useless. A fort is a different question, but again all it does is save you some time if he has siege.

A tower behind a city is VERY effective if he does not have siege. If he attacks you without siege and you have a tower, garrison all your troops inside a city, and wait until your city is destroyed. Then when it is, all your units will be ungarrisoned literally crushing the enemy units weakened by arrow fire.

War
posted 12-11-03 08:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
If he has siege (of course he has siege) a tower in front of a city is useless, a tower behind draws the siege further in, far far better for the defender. And reduced cities have a nasty habbit of being repaired as soon as you stop attacking them.
RollYerOwn
posted 12-11-03 01:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Great tips War! perhaps you should post them on your excellent website. (For which there is a convenient link in your signature.) Then others can also experience all the other fabulous strategy tips that you have kindly made available to all! :-)
Fogel Xanadu
posted 12-11-03 05:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Building towers/forts behind cities has always been something I do. Cities can be repaired, but forts and towers go poof. they also give the opponent alot resources in plunder. Towers/forts behind cities is also very effective for nations like maya and korea.
TuF_Astator
posted 12-11-03 11:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
#6: do not decoy everything.
Ugh
posted 12-12-03 09:46 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I disagree with War.. While he is right about tower and fort placement when it comes to multyplayer games, he is dead wrong when it comes to AI.

I always put a fort as forward of my territory as I can, build 2 or 3 spies, place a general and fill it up with infantry, 98% of the time AI concentrates on attacking the fort, which can be stoped by converting AI's siege, then the firepower of filled fort mowes whatever other troops AI might have. The spies are so overpowered in this game that by the time they convert siege, the fort is barely scratched.

Official rich amertican uncle...
War
posted 12-12-03 10:12 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Totally agree with your assessment there.

The only problem is that you are exploiting a weakness in the AI. I don't play single game much so my tips are all geared for on-line play. My tips are better but you can have better results against AI because it will let you get away with taking liberties.

Don't rely on exploiting AI weaknesses, you can learn to beat AI on toughest but when you go on-line you will get raped by low-inters who will expose your game.

Ugh
posted 12-12-03 10:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Well thats why I qualify most of my tips by saying this is how it works againts AI. And if you read my post carefully you would find words like:

War is right...

Official rich amertican uncle...
Paralyticus
posted 12-12-03 11:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Hi!

Long time no come here but I see that this is still a really worthy place.

Thanks, War for the very good advice!

Having returned to "sub-noob" state again, after a big absence from any kind of gaming, I really need the advice, LOL!...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames