Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Naval WarFare
Bottom
Topic Subject:Naval WarFare
TheScudStud2004
posted 12-11-03 09:53 AM EDT (US)         
I need some tips on naval warfare can u help me?I do know how the navy works im not that stupid!
AuthorReplies:
G0dSpiral
posted 12-11-03 10:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
I hate ocean fighting, but the key to it I think, is that whenever you are about to lose a fight, don't. Retreat everything to your shipyards until you can build reinforcements. Then build counters to whatever dominates his fleet.

On the other side, it can be hard to win a naval battle against this tactic. If you press strengthening your navy, you can spend way too much, and fall behind in other important areas. If you just wait around with what you have, you can lose your fleet to cheaper fire rafts.

Managing your fleet can be confusing too. There's no select all military ships key. One help though is if you can find one light or heavy ship, you can find them all by double clicking or using the (default: HOME) find all key.

Ugh
posted 12-11-03 11:50 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
they key to winning naval warfare in RoN is to avoid building a Navy as much as possible and concentrate on sneaking a villie behaind enemy's navy and building a base on his "island". Well at least that works against the computer...

Against human opponents I saw that sneaking an army behaind enemy's navy is a winning combination..

Official rich amertican uncle...
War
posted 12-11-03 01:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
yep, forget navy and build an army, you just need a little scout navy to find a safe route of passage.

But.... Fishing is so good, if you arenot going to contest the water then your fishing is limited to the early ages, so place your fishin in corners and edges where it will last longer, most players don't sweep the seas clear even when they do have superiority.

Sneak citizen builders rarely work in multi-play as there is nowhere for them to build. Woth considering if you do see a space though.

Navy doesn't work too well in RoN as it has so little shore penetration, can't damage docks until age 3, costs a fortune, uses up far too many population slots and cant kill transports very well.

rmongiovi
posted 12-11-03 07:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Fight your naval battles near your land, and have siege engines parked right next to the water line. A few cannon really help finish off the other guy's fleet.
Astro Tarquin
posted 12-11-03 08:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
I find naval battles to be the hardest to fight. It's either go real light in the naval department or go too heavy on it and be unable to take his cities or hold them. I usually just build a bunch of Kamikaze ships early, then use them to destroy whatever I can. If I'm going on a naval map for sure, then I go with the Brits. That way you don't need to maintain a real fleet, and because they bild the ships so quickly all you have to do is bild a coupla ships quick and get them to the hotspot ASAP

Remember the Romans, 'nuff said
Those who are successful are those who learn to think
generalmadine
posted 12-11-03 10:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
1. Stay ahead of the tech race

2. (pre-industrial) Manage your wood well. It should be maxed of course

3. Keep your fireships protected.

4. Attack his fishing.

Ugh
posted 12-12-03 09:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
[q=War]Sneak citizen builders rarely work in multi-play as there is nowhere for them to build. Woth considering if you do see a space though[/q}

The only reason sneaking would not work in multyplayer is becuase human player would understand strategic sagnificance of what you are trying to and will do his best to disloge you early, computer on the other hand can scout you a number of times and do nothing untill you build up your base.. (I'm talking "Tough" computer here)

Official rich amertican uncle...
War
posted 12-12-03 10:04 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
No, it's because the other player expands so that there is no clear ground for you to build on, you cna't build in his territory, which should be his whole island.
jabroni
posted 12-12-03 10:15 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
I have to disagree with the advice of not building a navy.
Even on non-sea maps with pockets of water (African Watering hole; Great lakes;etc.), it is still advisable to put out at least some navy. The purpose is not to dominate the sea, water, but rather to maintain a presence which may help spot potential enemies doing flanking/sneaking manouervers. A presence on the sea can allow your ground troops to make it across unmolested.

Of course, on maps like East West, Atlantic, Indies, it is not wise to just purely pump ships as one may get caught by surprise by ground forces. A balance of water and land forces is crucial.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames