You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » Help me decide?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Help me decide?
Black Watch
posted 12-16-03 00:05 AM EDT (US)         
I've narrowed down what I'm going to use for when I eventually get on to Multiplayer on the internet (No random for me) to the British or Germans. I can't decide, I like both. I prefer games that have battles in Gunpowder, Enlightenment, and Industrial. Does one of the 2 civs shine at all in any of these 3 eras? (Modern has nukes, I hate em, Medieval is too ancient, no Gunpowder)

Any input helps.

Cannon to the right of them / Cannon to the Left of them / Cannon in front of them / Volley'd and Thunder'd
Their's not to reason why / Their's but to do and die.
-Tennyson, "The Charge of the Light Brigade"
AuthorReplies:
War
posted 12-16-03 08:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
I would say some good age 4-5 nations are

Turks for their (free) big guns
French for their free supply that heals, generals and cavalry
Possibly Russians, cheap spies more effective in these ages, border pushing and attrition can get serious
Greek, struggle early on but the library advances start kicking in for these ages.

I don't really see much difference between nations in industrial, sure there are some but they don't stick out for me.

But British and Germans? Don't inspire me in those ages, your archers are gone and you tigers are not there yet!

half_lotus
posted 12-16-03 08:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Highlanders make British very good in Enlightenment. British tend to get stronger as the game goes on because of the higher commerce cap.

Germans get two free fighters per airbase in industrial, and have a great all-around economy. Consider Inca also, they get really strong in mid-late game and have some newbie friendly bonuses.

[This message has been edited by half_lotus (edited 12-16-2003 @ 08:29 AM).]

WhiskeyPete
posted 12-16-03 01:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I find that I am terrible at using the british in the first two ages. As such the game is normally decided at around that time. If I am able to get to Enlightenment then I can start rolling with the brits.

So, that said I would recommend the Germans. For me the major change when changing from playing the cpu to people is that people will sometimes put an all-out attack in the early ages. The cpu I found would attack but not invest all their resources. Along those lines I would suggest you attempt to ramp up your early raiding and or small attack forces. This can be devestating when playing humans, especially newer players. The cpu remains calm while a person will have a chance of going into a panic.

Your preference for when you would like a battle to take place may be a bit fancifull. As in you will not always have the ultimate say when battles are to begin, your opponent(s) will have some say in the matter.

Then again, your name would suggest that you have already chosen a nation......

Have fun out there,

WhiskeyPete

[This message has been edited by WhiskeyPete (edited 12-16-2003 @ 01:26 PM).]

migace
posted 12-16-03 05:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
I think Germans offer a good early bonus because of the granarary and stuff in early ages. It helps me beat comps and humans alike with a boom, then again, I do like economic booms a lot more than rushing and raiding.
Black Watch
posted 12-16-03 09:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Thanks for the Advice.

To WhiskeyPete: I've had this name for more than a year, I just didn't post anything

Cannon to the right of them / Cannon to the Left of them / Cannon in front of them / Volley'd and Thunder'd
Their's not to reason why / Their's but to do and die.
-Tennyson, "The Charge of the Light Brigade"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames