You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Strategy for Beginners
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies, Sticky
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Strategy for Beginners » RoN; Nations for Beginners
Bottom
Topic Subject:RoN; Nations for Beginners
TheGoodEvil
posted 07-03-03 02:34 PM EDT (US)         
Aztecs: The Power of Sacrifice
1). Gain 15 bonus resources per Age when your Barracks, Stable, and Dock units slay an enemy (maximum 60)
2). Plunder from enemy buildings increased by 100%
3). Receive free Light Infantry whenever you build a new barracks (one at start, two with Classical and a Military research, three with Gunpowder Age and 3 Military research).

Unique Units:

Atl-Atls:
Ancient Age light infantry. Faster and more durable than slingers.

Royal Atl-Atls:
Classical Age light infantry. Faster and more durable than Javelineers.

Xopoli Atl-Atls:
Medieval Age light infantry. Faster and more durable than Javelineers.

Jaguar infantry:
Modern Age modern infantry. Faster and more powerful than standard modern infantry.

Jaguar Assault Infantry:
Information Age modern infantry. Faster and more powerful than standard Information Age infantry.

If you plan on using the Aztecs then you must plan on many heavy attacks and concentrate on early raids for taking out certain groups of units e.g. raiding citizens, fishermen, or merchants. Use only the appropriate units for the raid; three Cav. Archers and a light Cav. for the early raid. Later move on to 6-10 Cav. Archers and 4 light Cav. Always apply pressure while using the Aztec Civ. The more you kill the more you get in return in the form of resources. This is the whole basis of the Aztec strategy to kill more than you lose. If you fail to get things going with your war machine early on than you will be behind on the ONLY economic bonuses the Aztecs are privy to. This Civ is an aggressive one and is a decent rushing Civ though not nearly the best; try to concentrate more on your war machine and less on your booming it is important to knock your opponent out of the competition early so you wonít be under the same economic strain in the later game.

Best Wonders:

Versailles:
if you have the Versailles as an Aztec player the healing supply will help to keep your army alive that much longer while raking in the resources from your slaughtered enemies (though the ideal Aztec strategy is to take out your enemy before Enlightenment Age). Plus the cheaper research from the Versailles will allow you more resources to keep producing even more troops to help your cause.

Terra cotta army:
this is quite possibly the best wonder for any aggressive Civ no matter if their UU (unique unit) is light infantry or not. The free infantry will help you in your endeavor to gain more resources as the Aztecs (by providing a free means to kill or pillage your enemy in return for resources).

Angkor Wat:
the increase in metal is a great bonus to have when playing as a Civ dependent on unit production to gain more resources. The best feature of the Angkor Wat is the 25% cost reduction of your barracks, stable, and dock units thus making it even easier to get an edge on unit production and giving you a better chance at receiving your nations bonus.

Statue of Liberty:
the bonuses from this wonder will win you the game. Units upgrade for free making them stronger and better for killing an enemy that was slow to upgrade his own forces and the resources you saved on those upgrades can go into your fully upgraded army. No attrition means you no longer need to worry about supply (unless you built Versailles) so you need not spend the tremendous price for supply wagons anymore.

Best early Rare Resources:

Wine:
+10 to food gather rate. +10 to knowledge gather rate. Cost of unit upgrades reduced by 20%.
Until you build the Statue of Liberty this Resource is invaluable.

Salt:
+10 to timber gather rate. +10 to metal gather rate. Cost of barracks troops reduced by 15%
Needed to stay as cheap as possible when creating the units you will need to raise your revenue.

Horses:
+10 to metal gather rate. +10 to food gather rate. Cost of stable units reduced by 15%
Needed to stay as cheap as possible when creating the units you will need to raise your revenue.

Sulfur:
+15 to wealth gather rate. +15 to metal gather rate. Cost of siege and artillery units reduced by 20%
Needed to stay as cheap as possible when creating the units you will need to raise your revenue (in this case razing enemy buildings for the 100% resource bonus).

Cotton:
+30 to timber gather rate. Barracks, stable, and dock units production times reduced by 25%
Faster build times for units are great when the units make earn you resources.

Rubber:
+20 to oil gather rate. +20 to timber gather rate. Cost of auto plant units reduced by 15%

Copper:
+30 to metal gather rate. Dock and factory units receive +20 percent hit points.
If you find yourself on a sea map the extra HP for ships are great on those raids on Fishermen.

this is the first in the seires of Nations for Beginners and i will hopefully have all 18 completed by this time next week.
These brief write ups are to be stepping stones for Bridgers more in depth reports on the nations of RoN and will be linked to the appropriately to their corresponding articles.

Thank you,
TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 07-03-2003 @ 02:36 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheGoodEvil
posted 07-03-03 04:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Bantu: The Power of Migration.
1). +1 City Limit (must research at least one Civic), and Cities are 75% cheaper.
2). +100% Population Limit. May exceed maximum limit by 25%
3). Barracks units and Citizens move 25% faster
4). Unit upgrades do not require Military research

Unique Units:
Umpakati:
Ancient Age light infantry. Slightly stronger than slingers, and are built faster.

Yangombi Umpakati:
Classical Age light infantry. Slightly stronger than javelineers, and are built faster.

Impi:
Medieval Age light infantry. Slightly stronger than elite javelineers, and are built faster.

Hawk Fighter:
Modern Age fighter aircraft. Counters enemy aircraft and ground troops better than a normal fighter.

Eagle Fighter:
Information Age fighter aircraft: Counters enemy aircraft and ground troops better than a normal fighter.

The Bantu are a great expansive Civ that can overpower an enemy by shear numbers and border pushing if the given resources are there. The cheap Bantu cities are very useful in the early game plus a free city for a quick expansion is helpful but donít let expanding blind you to the micromanaging you must do in order to secure your economy and out produce your enemy. You want to have your cities producing at maximum efficiency to make good use of your Pop Cap bonus. The flood of Bantu soldiers can be quite overwhelming and cause a general retreat or retirement of an enemy. If you couple an early attack at full strength with 2 generals using Decoy you could certainly frighten an enemy into quitting the game before he even feels the first spear or arrow. The Bantu need to be used a fast expansion nation coupled with a fast aggressive sting into the enemy heartland. Build as deep into the map as possible bringing your borders as close as possible to your enemy cities. Then with your faster foot troops launch your attack into the center of the enemy nation splitting it in two effectively cutting off the enemy border city from the capitol and putting a damper on enemy resources as well as concentration from there use your superior numbers to attack the 2 remaining cities at once (unless he/she has more than 3 cities at the time of attack then pick out the 2 most dangerous cities and assault them).

Best Wonders:

Pyramids:
The Pyramids seem like an odd choice for a nation that receives a free city but when you couple another free city plus the food and wealth increase and 20% extra food you have yourself an ungodly expansive nation with the resources to back a population large enough to fill it.

Coliseum:
Not so much for the attrition but more for the border push. This will help with the effective cut off of enemy expansion options and give you a respective boost to your taxation.

Eiffel Tower:
The oil bonus will help you to reach your Pop Cap in the later ages (if you LET your enemy live that long) and the border push will also help with the Bantuís great expansive bonuses already in place.

Angkor Wat:
Not necessary but the cheaper units could be a real benefit while trying to fill such a large Pop Cap.

Best Rare Resources:

Aluminum:
+30 to metal gather rate. +30 to oil gather rate. Aircraft costs reduced by 15% and build speed reduced by 25%
Excellent for those late game UU fighters that Bantu players can use to own the battlefield under their mighty wings.

Cotton:
+30 to timber gather rate. Barracks, stable, and dock units production times reduced by 25%
Great for filling a gap after a good hard battle.

Dye:
+10 to wealth gather rate. +10 to knowledge gather rate. Cost of civic research reduced by 25%
Great for the aggressive expansionism of the Bantu, research cheaper civics so you can build cheaper cities. AWESOME.

Gems:
+10 to wealth gather rate. +10 to knowledge gather rate. National borders +2
Great for expanding and for collecting more taxes.

Tobacco:
+10 to wealth gather rate. +10 to knowledge gather rate. Citizens construct buildings and wonders 10 percent faster.
Awesome for building those Bantu cities not only cheaper but FASTER as well.

Wine:
+10 to food gather rate. +10 to knowledge gather rate. Cost of unit upgrades reduced by 20 percent.
Bantu probably benefit from this RR most because of their not having to research military to upgrade their forces.

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

[This message has been edited by TheGoodEvil (edited 07-03-2003 @ 04:17 PM).]

Sergeant Mike
posted 06-11-07 02:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
Can someone tell me what is required to achieve global prosperity so I can upgrade aircraft to Stealth?
Red Revolution
(id: master silver)
posted 06-13-07 02:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
You must research all the technologies at the library and be at the information age. Also this really isn't the place to post these kinds of questions.

Amity/Enmity
Sergeant Mike
posted 06-16-07 08:04 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
"You must research all the technologies at the library and be at the information age."

I did and was, but it didn't work, so there must be something else. Something's missing.

"Also this really isn't the place to post these kinds of questions."

If a forum on RoN for Beginners is not the place to post questions BY beginners; Mr. Master Moderator, then just where do you suggest they get posted?

If this is the kind of treatment people are going to get on this forum, then guess I'll cancel and get out of it.

Thank you for your response.
TheBlackAdmiral
posted 06-16-07 09:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
"You must research all the technologies at the library and be at the information age."

I did and was, but it didn't work, so there must be something else. Something's missing.

[[ It should work, unless you play a CTW, in which case it is impossible to get those technologies alltogether. Also, when playing a Quick Battle, make sure the end Age is Info Age and not Early Info Age ]]

"Also this really isn't the place to post these kinds of questions."

If a forum on RoN for Beginners is not the place to post questions BY beginners; Mr. Master Moderator, then just where do you suggest they get posted?

[[Make a new topic for a question, not in an existing thread that is about somethibng else ]]

If this is the kind of treatment people are going to get on this forum, then guess I'll cancel and get out of it.

[[ Relax, you made a mistake, no reason to blame us is there? ]]
gabe0817
posted 11-21-07 10:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
PROBLEMS WITH "TOUGHER" LEVEL

I am fairly new to the game. I really enjoy it, but I have hit a wall. I can usually beat the AI at the tough level with any civ on any terrain. But I cannot beat the AI on tougher level no matter what civ or terrain. Any tips?

Thanks to GoodEvil for the great posts on civ types and how to use them.
TheBlackAdmiral
posted 11-21-07 10:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
Increase your speed. From TOugh onwards the AI doesn't get better, just faster.

Using the Pause button might help.
gabe0817
posted 11-25-07 09:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Yeah, but how does one do that, exactly?

By the way, I really enjoy the single player scenarios posted by BlackAdmiral.

Here's the thing: how exactly does one increase speed? I have been trying, believe me. Any tips, specific techniques?

Thanks.
TheBlackAdmiral
posted 11-27-07 03:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
1 - Plan ahead. Typing down a buildorder will help a lot. Know what you want to build before you build it. Do not build things you do not need. eg. It doesn't help building 3 Barracks before you have completed your second city.

I usually use this buildorder:

- Make enough villagers to fill up your lumber camp plus three extra. Set Rally point at the Lumber camp

- Take Villagers from Lumber Camp and let them build farms.

- Research Civic

- Build a villager. Set rally point on the place you want your new city, which should be on the border on your terrritory and near a mountain and a forest.

- Research Commerce

- Research Science

- Build Second city

- Expand Second city

etc. etc.

2 - Always do something. Pause the game if you don't know what to do and then unpause when you've decided. If you need resources, don't just wait, but scout with your scout, reorganise your army etc.

I hope I'm clear. If I'm not please post..
gabe0817
posted 11-27-07 08:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Thanks, but I still have a few questions ...

OK, I appreciate the post and I understand the concept. But I was basically doing that sort of planning. What is the logic behind filling the W then building farms? Vs filling farm quota city 1 while also filling the W or even building another? Also, on the speed issue, it seems that the AI armies are more effective in combat at tougher level than at tough. Are you saying they are not?

Thanks again and really, your post is quite clear.
TheBlackAdmiral
posted 11-28-07 10:59 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
There are a number of improvements that the AI gets:

- Better battle tactics (For a change, they will NOT needlessly sacrifice units)

- Get resources faster. At Tough, the computer gathers as fast as you, at tougher, they get a little bonus.

- Speed. I felt that the most distinctive change was theri speed, but you could feel different, it depends on what your strong points are.

If you have trouble with the first, train your battle skills. Always take a General and attempt to outmanouvre your opponent. This is easier in the first four ages, but still crucial in later ages. Support your units well. This list might be handy:

Light Infantry, counter with Combat Cavalry.
Heavy Cavalry, counter with Archers (War Machines in a Field Battle)
Archers and War Machines, counter with Light Cavalry (Heavy Cavalry is better used against Light Infantry)
Cavalry, counter with Heavy Infantry.
Ground units, counter with Air Units.

Special mention must go to horse archers. They are potentially very good when you micro them well. I usually send them in later on when most ranged threats have been countered (namely Archers, because LI can be outranged and War Machines outmanouvred). They excell at shooting Heavy Cavalry/Infantry. If you boost their speed with a Forced March (General Power), you can outrun even Light Cavalry. They also make effective raiders when combined with a Despotic Patriot.
computerholic
posted 05-01-08 07:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
i say press enter and type in cheat safe like a thousand times and im not going to say what happens then.
Meteora
posted 05-02-08 02:05 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
The game crashes and gives you a virus for cheating.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
desertfoxER
posted 10-23-08 10:41 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
Never happened to me
Red Revolution
(id: master silver)
posted 10-24-08 12:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Metora is only joking...silly.

Amity/Enmity
SparKy_BG
posted 11-22-09 03:31 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
This is mine BuildBorder

[ ** BuildBorder ** ]

Bantu

1. Create 5-6 citizens and with 2-3 of them fill up the lumber mill(set the rally point there) and with the others make more farms.

2. Research : 1. Science 2. Commerce (build market) 3. Research Civic (make one more citizen and build second city near the borders) 4. Military (create barracks in the new city)

3. Create Caravan and 1-2 Merchants

4. Build A tower near your first and maybe second city and research attrition

5. Create more citizens in the second city and build : 1. Univercity 2. Temple 3. 5 Farms and research all in the temple. Make 4-5 scholars.

6. Research Science lvl. 2

I always research Science first because the next researches are cheaper and my scout get bigger presents.
lolcatz31
posted 11-22-09 07:11 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
you could be spanish, there scouts are poufect for ruins, there UU, no.

mewp: a word to describe awesomeness in its supreme form.

EoB Heraclies gets a hard-on from noobs.

Damn, you got me. I just wish I knew how to make quality threads like you do. -Blatant7
Juror
posted 01-31-13 09:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
I think the best nation for beginners is Japan or British. Japanese and British units are much easier to handle and manage.But if you want a quick start on invasion or afraid on running low in resources, choose the bantu.
Juror
posted 04-22-13 11:44 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
its good to practice vs a moderate enemy because you learn to rush at an early time so that you can defeat the ai easily because if you use the booming tactic it make take a while to defeat the moderate ai.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames