You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Tech Support
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Tech Support » Making your router work-by BHG Gamegeek
Bottom
Topic Subject:Making your router work-by BHG Gamegeek
TheGoodEvil
posted 07-01-03 02:46 PM EDT (US)         
This is the unofficial gamegeek guide to getting your Router to host/play RON. There is clearly a lot of room for refinement here and I'll work on improving this document over the next little while. This guide is intended to help folks set up their port forwards and isn't intended to promote any particular router model or vendor. The routers I had in my possession at the time I wrote this are the ones I used. If this document could benefit from adding other routers please let me know and I'll certainly do my best to include other useful configs. The routers I used were a Linksys BEFVP41 ("Etherfast Cable/DSL VPN Router"), Netgear RP614 ("Web Safe Router Gateway"), and D-Link DI-604 ("4-port Ethernet Broadband Router"). To the best of my knowledge these are all very popular routers and should be very similar in configuration to other models in their respective product lines.
THE FAST WAY

All three of these routers support DMZ mode. DMZ mode causes all Internet traffic to be forwarded to a specific computer behind the router, thus "exposing" it to the Internet. When you activate DMZ mode you basically open "all ports". This tends to solve most forwarding problems at the expense of some network security for the exposed computer. I was able to successfully both play and host multiplayer games of RON with all three routers in DMZ mode. Here are the screenshots of the router config interfaces. Note that my PC has the IP address of 192.168.0.100 except on the Netgear where it was 192.168.0.2. Replace this number with the IP address of your PC. You can get this a number of ways, I usually do it by typing "ipconfig" at any command prompt.

DMZ is a fast an easy way to get around forwarding issues but I wouldn't recommend leaving an unprotected PC connected to the naked Internet for a long time unless you want to end up running a warez site or worse. If you are going to leave a computer on a DMZ you ought to be running some sort of PC-based protection software. I hesitate to start listing them as there are so many and somebody will accuse me of playing favorites if I leave anybody out. Please just don't PC over to DMZ in order to play RON and then just leave it there. Either protected it or bring it back inside your router. The Internet can be a scary place.

THE BETTER WAY

Instead of using DMZ to fully expose your PC to the Internet, you can selectively forward data on specific ports to your PC. The ports I forward are 6500, 6515, 6667, 13139, 27900, 28900, 29900, 29901, 18890, and 34987. Some of these are UDP and some of them are TCP. In order to get this doc to you quickly I just set the router configs below to "both" (the router forwards both UDP and TCP for those ports). I also suspect that I don't strictly need to be forwarding some of these ports. I'll work on bringing you a tighter list in a future update to this document. In any case, go to your router's port-forwarding screen and set up those ports to forward data (both UDP & TCP) to the IP address of your PC. In the examples below my PC is 192.168.0.100 or 192.168.0.2 (for the Netgear router). I was able to successfully host and join multiplayer games of RON with these setups:

With the Linksys you have to go to the Advanced menu to access port forwarding.

Still having problems? Try not leaping into games or hosting games rapidly after exiting a previous game. I have had some hangs launching games when I quickly move from game to game with either a host or a client system. This is an issue that is being looked into by the BHG dev team and will be addressed. In the meantime, and especially while you are trying to get your router set up right, give a brief pause between games. Obviously the very best results will be had by fully existing RON, but that is admittedly a big pain. I've noticed that just waiting 60 seconds or so between games (which probably happens naturally when you are looking for games in the wild - but probably less often when you are testing) seems to help a lot.

If these tips don't help please send email to forumsupport@bighugegames.com with your router make (Linksys, Netgear, etc..), model number (very important! please don't just say "a linksys router"), and how you have it configured (DMZ info, port forwarding info, etc). The more data you send us, the more we'll understand about the issue. Screen shots of your router config setup are always a big huge help.

Hope this helps folks play over their router!

Also - huge props to Thunder for helping with the test passes

Paul "Gamegeek" Stephanouk

Ok...here is an updated list of ports with the correct porotocol. These are the ports you want to forward in your router.
TCP 80
UDP 1077
UDP 6500
TCP 6667
UDP 13139
UDP 27900
UDP 28910
TCP 29900
UDP 29910
TCP 29920
UDP 34987 *
UDP 18890 *

* these two entries are used by RON for LAN/Direct IP play. Strictly speaking you can get by without these but you will NOT have the ability to join a game via direct IP. I'm pointing this out because (a) some people have noticed a lack of ability to direct IP join games. This may be their issue and (b) some folks have routers with limited numbers of forwarding entries. You could get by without these if you had to.

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

AuthorReplies:
Gandalf33
posted 07-06-03 10:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
I have a D-LINK DI-604 Router and am having trouble with multiplayer gaming on RON. I have set the virtual server on the router to forward the client and server ports as shown on the Options page in RON. These are the Host and Client Ports. Me and a group of about 6 of us like to play direct connect IP games, all of us on Cable Modems. I can host just fine, but whenever I try to join a game, I either cannot join, or when I join, I cannot click ready, player color, nation, etc. I will then get kicked out after about 10 seconds, saying host has cancelled game. I can't even join when I enable the DMZ. The host that I am trying to join is not even behind a router. I don't know why everyone else can join, but not me. There is another of us with the same setup and he has the exact same problem. This is extremely frustrating since we like the game, but can't get past these bugs. The only way to join a game is to go completely off of the router. This then exposes us to Popups and ping attacks which has happened. Any help would be appreciated. It appears that me and the other person with the same router are the only ones with the problem. The peculiar thing is we can both host, but cannot join games. Is this a D-Link router issue or an issue with the way RON handles NAT Translation. I think that it is the latter.

I have the latest Firmware on the D-Link Router, running Patch 2 on the RON Software, all Microsoft updates up to date.

I am running XP Pro with an Athlon XP2200, 64MB AGP 8X Graphics card.

Router Setup uses Virtual Server with Host and Client Ports Forwarded to local IP Address of Machine, have tried UDP, Both, TCP Protocol, none work.

Regards

Atras
posted 07-10-03 08:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
My friend with a D-Link router had the same problem. There was <a href="http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,1964,150,30">another thread</a> out there that addressed this ("Problem with dlink DI-604 router"), but to sum it up, it has to do with the internal NAT address getting passed around the network. That thread had mentioned that this was being looked at by BHG, but everyone I've heard with this problem has a D-Link router.
Gandalf33
posted 07-10-03 10:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Router Setup uses Virtual Server with Host and Client Ports Forwarded to local IP Address of Machine.

Found a way to get around the D-Link DI604 router problem. The only way I can get RON to work online with directplay with more than two players with my DI604 router is to reboot the router once the game has started, and before I try to connect to the Host. This can be done very quickly through the HTML interface to the router 192.168.0.1, this is in the tools option tab under Misc. Just click to reboot after the game has started and your golden. My only thinking is this reestablishes or refreshes the correct ports. You will have to do this before each game.
If I don't do this I either cannot connect, or cannot click nation, color, ready, etc... I would like to know if this is a router issue or an RON issue so that the root problem can be resolved, obviously continuously rebooting the router is very annoying.

My buddy with a 604 router had the same problem. This fixed his problem as well. The funny thing was we could always host, just not join directplay games.

Hope this helps somebody.

Regards

[This message has been edited by Gandalf33 (edited 07-10-2003 @ 10:14 PM).]

Dist
posted 07-14-03 09:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Ok...here is an updated list of ports with the correct porotocol. These are the ports you want to forward in your router.
TCP 80
UDP 1077
UDP 6500
TCP 6667
UDP 13139
UDP 27900
UDP 28910
TCP 29900
UDP 29910
TCP 29920
UDP 34987 *
UDP 18890 *

* these two entries are used by RON for LAN/Direct IP play. Strictly speaking you can get by without these but you will NOT have the ability to join a game via direct IP. I'm pointing this out because (a) some people have noticed a lack of ability to direct IP join games. This may be their issue and (b) some folks have routers with limited numbers of forwarding entries. You could get by without these if you had to.

First of all thanks for the ports settings, but there is a problem here...

I cant put just those^^ports into my router, that is because my router needs Trigger Port (ie:28800) then Trigger Type (ie:TCP/UPD), after that it demands Public Port (ie:2300-2400, 47624) then Public Type (ie:TCP/UPD).

I can not just put in Trigger port and Trigger type my router wont accept it!

So it would be greatful if 1 of u guys could help me with that.

Thanks in advance!

Dist

PS:My router is a "Mentor ADSL-FR4". This router is not only for ADSL, I am using it with a cable modem.

Akaran_D
posted 07-16-03 10:56 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
I have the same problem as the above poster.. I'm using a Speestream router, 2600 series. IF anyone could tell me, I'd appericate. Also using windows XP.
Smashed_Cranium
posted 07-22-03 01:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Can someone help me with my router
Its a pc running freesco os,it has the option to host a game behind the firewall but I can't get it to work.
TIA

Gonadius
posted 07-26-03 04:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Help. I am an admitted computer novice. My problem is that I cannot host games. The strange thing is that I could host prior to the 2nd patch. I belive my router is HP EN 1207D-TX PCI 10/100. I tried typing in my IP address per the screenshots above and received "page cannot be displayed" messages. Please advise.
AV_Apollo
posted 08-11-03 03:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
If your specific router model is not mentioned in the posts here, you should scour the router manufacturer's respective websites for general information about port forwarding and router configuration options. Look for product manuals specific to your router and visit their FAQ and support question areas. Do searches for the keyword phrases "port open forward" and also "DMZ configuration" if you are given the option in the product support area for the router.

You have to investigate on your own sometimes to figure technical details out. Someone, somewhere, sometime probably had the same questions, but this is not exactly the right place to look for solutions.

On a side note: anyone with a TRENDWare/TRENDNet router (e.g. model TW100-S4W1CA) can ask me about configuring it and I'll try to help.

Good luck.

Akaran_D
posted 08-16-03 12:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
Thank you for a response, at least.
AV_Apollo
posted 08-19-03 03:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Here is a link to the SpeedStream support site. Just choose your model # from the list and you'll be taken to a terrific support page.
http://www.speedstream.com/support /
AV_Apollo
posted 08-19-03 11:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
I'm sorry, but did you notice that in both of the D-Link pictures the local IP is in the DMZ? I thought the second set of pics was supposed to illustrate how NOT to put the PC at any address in the DMZ.

[This message has been edited by AV_Apollo (edited 08-19-2003 @ 11:36 PM).]

HoTh_hosh
posted 09-10-03 07:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Hi!

I only can see zero pings at the players in the Lobby of the game. In the gamelist I can see sometimes ping numbers.

And when I try to host a game, after starting the game in the gameroom, I'am alone ...

I'am using the Software "WinRoute Pro 4.2.5", Windows XP, DirectX 9b, latest Drivers ...

Plz help me ...

cu hosh

I forgot:
these ports are open:
TCP 80
UDP 1077
UDP 2300-2400 (Subsequent UDP Inbound/Outbound)
TCP 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
UDP 6073 (Initial UDP Connection)
UDP 6500 (Query Port)
UDP 6515 (Dplay UDP)
TCP 6667 (IRC)
UDP 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
UDP 15807 (Client-Port Nr)
UDP 18890
UDP 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
TCP 28900 (Master Server List Request)
TCP 28910
TCP 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
UDP 29901 (GP Search Manager)
UDP 29910
TCP 29920
UDP 34987 (Host-Port Nr.)

[This message has been edited by HoTh_hosh (edited 09-10-2003 @ 07:51 PM).]

Benjammin
posted 08-31-07 01:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
i have a Motorola SBV5120 SURFboard Cable Modem

i put an 'exception' for all of the ports u mentioned in ur first post, if i try to host or something else in RoN and it deosnt work, can you expain why?
The Naminator
posted 09-01-07 00:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
By some reason some routers can't host RoN like 2WIRE models.

I stole this sign!

[This message has been edited by The Naminator (edited 09-01-2007 @ 00:51 AM).]

Lord Scales
posted 09-24-07 07:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Hi there. I am very very late...
But the screenshots are no longer avaiable to me!
Could someone give the screenshots or explain that again?
jackjt8
posted 01-12-10 11:26 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
WHAT THE HELL!!!
spech closer to the not competer nuters
tell me easy way step by step!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames