You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1 reply
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack » Interview with AU_niDe and AU_tl!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Interview with AU_niDe and AU_tl!
TheGoodEvil
posted 05-29-04 11:45 PM EDT (US)         
In this interview I wanted to dive into the minds of 2 great players (both top 10 on the T&P ratings site and each formally held both the #1 and #2 spots) and see what team games had to offer. Great interview IMO maybe the best so far! Enjoy!

TheGoodEvil
Ok first off tell me about your gaming experience before RoN?

AU_tl
I played FPS's before RoN (Jedi knight, unreal, and a few others). I also played Warcraft 2 for a bit in college. Never played much on-line though (I couldn't handle getting my pants kicked off me)

AU_niDe
Ok, well I started playing Total Annihilation waaaay back in the day of 33.6k modems against my friends down the street (modem to modem). Then I got heavily into Jedi Knight. After that I moved heavily into AoC for a year or so, AoM after that and then onto RoN. All along the way though I played pretty much every game I could get my little hands on.

TheGoodEvil
Would an FPS influence RTS play?

AU_tl
I don't think an FPS would influence RTS play. I suppose a stretch would be just in terms of how quick you are w/ the mouse- micron your units around.

AU_niDe
FPS is purely reaction/reflex based. Once you know the map and the guns your reaction speed is your best weapon, I could see that kind of influencing RTS play in microing and decision making.

TheGoodEvil
Ok well onward to the big show. in team games where you have limited build space such as warring states with an aggressive nation (Aztecs in front, AU_niDe is Aztec and a boom civ (Inca in back AU_tl take control over that nation) what is your game plan vs. an aggressive civ (Japan) in back and a defensive civ (Korea) in front.

AU_niDe
Well firstly, on a map like warring states, knowing there is a Japan behind the Korean, pretty much free to boom behind the Korean defense, would worry me.

AU_tl
I'd probably vote for both of us booming & try to control the outer islands. Japanese would be really strong on that map so I'd try to hurt his fishing & would send cav around to raid his wood.

Japanese are tough on that map because they're so versatile. If they both attacked in classical w/ spearmen & the UU Korean bowmen + the UU Korean cats it'd be trouble for us.

AU_niDe
We'd have to take islands faster and someone would have to raid fishing (probably me for the plunder) while tl raids heavy with HC, sending a HC to each offshore island, and having it patrolling it is a good idea, a lot of people when they colonize islands just send the citizen, with no defense.

AU_tl
Yep, I like the Inca HC & would have plenty of wealth for them. I'd need an outer island w/ a good mountain for metal. Would depend on what rares we had & who we were playing too.

AU_niDe
If you can prevent him taking islands you'll win, in a boom situation anyway

AU_tl
Yeah, unless they both came really strong in classical I suppose... or rushed anyway

All hypothetical btw as most people play RLM maps these days so it'll probably never happen.

AU_niDe
A classical Japan HI rush with Korean archers and militia swarm would probably be the end of us or at least me.

TheGoodEvil
So would you say that a HC raid vs. Korea is a wise choice in this matter knowing they can instantly turn their vils into militia and have cheap towers?

AU_niDe
If they are militia or in towers, you are still half achieving your goal, the citizens aren't earning resources; you just have to be more careful your raiders don't die

AU_tl
No, I'd send the HC against the Japanese. Maybe a HA w/ my despot to back them up.

AU_niDe
Yeah, against the Japanese would be wiser ^^

AU_tl
What you are saying is the Korean civies will go militia and kill my HC. It takes 3-4 of them though to kill 1 HC if my despot comes with them

If they weren't fishing much I'd suspect the early attack.

TheGoodEvil
Ok more of a serious (is bound to happen scenario) RLM, random nations (niDe gets India, tl gets Iroquois) vs. ROSA_Giganteas Turks and ROSA_Shimakos Spain. Map is African Watering hole, rares in your territory include salt silver and gems, ROSA's get sugar, spice and furs, Au_tl is next to Gigantea

AU_tl
Mmm, yummy I love Iroquois.

AU_niDe
Against Spain? hmm

AU_tl
I'd go sc1-mil1-rax for the extra scout. I'd then use Iroquois barracks units to harass Gigantea. I'd keep them off their rares around the lake w/ the rax units and would try to hit their wood. Optimally neither would be able to boom b/c of my raiding. i.e. they'd have to both build a rax in first age.

AU_niDe
Meanwhile, Id do normal, sci-civ-com-mil-classic and get HA/HC raiding w/despot, pushing the border with gems

AU_tl
Both of them have a strong classical attack that nide would be vulnerable to which I'd try to stunt w/ the raiding.

AU_niDe
Yeah

AU_tl
Too bad nide isn't Mongol or Turk becuase we'd have a monster early attack.

AU_niDe
Indeed

but while tl is hurting them I'd try to boom to GP pretty much. India caught early is not pretty.

AU_tl
So my responsibility would be to make sure nide got there. Hopefully I get a lion share of the ruins w/ my better LOS than the Spanish scouts.

AU_niDe
And Id highly consider colossus.

TheGoodEvil
Ok now let me play devils advocate for a minute here guys, about the barracks for a scout- is it wise to try and face off for ruins vs. Spain? and as far as making them build barracks wouldn't that not really harm them much if they have furs and are bound to attack early anyway?

Spains main bonus is a great classical attack and Turks have "the" meanest 150 attack am I rite?

AU_niDe
Hmmm, Im more scared of a French 150, with healing despot.

AU_tl
No doubt. The French cav are anti-cav so you don't really need phalanxes to back them up...

AU_niDe
Turk 100, hitting pretty much right after classical is harsh.

AU_tl
This is exactly what Id be trying to stop...

AU_niDe
But as far as ruins go, Spanish main bonus is ruins, so the more you can find than him, the more your taking away from his bonus.

AU_tl
So, TGE, keep in mind that I'd own the rares. He won't be on the furs cause I'd have them and Iroquois are better than Spanish w/ ruins. The scouts have significantly better LOS I believe.

TheGoodEvil
Now that you have delayed the attacks from Spain by stealing so many ruins and hurt the Turk economy enough to give you a few minutes to niDes boom what does India do?

AU_niDe
Well I'd raid pretty significantly, 3 HA, 3 HC, 1-2LC and my Despot to keep him damped down.
Id have a few towers at my border city with a rax, and just boom behind it using my raiding to slow him down.

TheGoodEvil
is Despot always involved in your games?

AU_niDe
Yes

TheGoodEvil
Why? How does that benefit you?

AU_tl
I typically go despot. It's really hard to cap your econ @ 200 that early so the despot's advantages are nice. Exception might be if we're 3v3 or greater & I'm in the pocket.

AU_niDe
25% off barracks troops, 25% off mil research, if Im raiding, Ill also get 15 res per kill, by having despot it keeps me offensive. Also think of the amount of barracks troops you build in a game, you'd save a boatload in the long run.

TheGoodEvil
What is an ideal setting for a 2v2 in your opinion? civs for you civs for them rares map? What is the ideal team game set up?

AU_tl
Well if the teams are even then 2v2 is really just 2 separate 1v1s from my experience. If either partner stumbles then the team goes down...
3v3 typically has more strategic opportunity.

AU_niDe
Yes, the pocket player means more options are available.

TheGoodEvil
wait wait wait 2v2's are more like 2 1v1's? how did this evolve?

AU_niDe
I think it is because of the somewhat defensive nature of the game.

AU_tl
I usually just find that the players match up 1v1 against each other. Could be some cross raiding but mostly it's a head on match up...

What do you mean by "Ideal" TGE? Meaning ideal for us to win or ideal for a good time?

TheGoodEvil
for a good time, after all that's what games are all about

AU_niDe
It isn't too hard to for 1 player to hold off 2 attackers for 5 minutes, in that time the player who isn't under attack can kill his undefended opponent and then go help out his buddy.

For a fun game, I'd want lots of fighting. sugar, salt, diamonds, silver rares on the map, not necessarily in our territory. Fighting for rares is fun. And aggressive rares like cotton (20% faster production) and Furs (25% cheaper mil) keep the action hot.

AU_tl
my take on a good time:
outback for the map. requires more tactics w/ the rivers, mountains, forest all in the way + fishing required.
even rare distribution- one side has silver; sugar other has diamonds, gems

even civs- have to think about the combo but there are plenty of good matchups...

AU_niDe
Yeah, Outback is the most fun map.

TheGoodEvil
I agree with you there

TheGoodEvil
What single rare do you think has the most strategic importance in the whole game?

AU_niDe
Hmm all dependant on situation.

AU_tl
Diamonds I'd have to say.

AU_niDe
If it was Warring States for example, and there was a lot of naval battle going on, that Citrus sitting just inside my enemys border takes on a whole new importance. So rares are dependant on situation/map I feel. Of course having any of the +20 (Diamonds, Cotton, Bison, Copper) resource rares is cool.

TheGoodEvil
No one Rare stands out to you niDe as one you'd fight tooth and nail for?

AU_niDe
Nope. rares are important, but not as important as some other aspects of the game.

TheGoodEvil
Well that is interesting, most players I talk to shoot for Gems as number one and diamonds, sugar and bison as average for number 2 spot

AU_niDe
Well I don't deny there are rares that are more important for certain situations

AU_tl
Well, it's really dependent on what nation you are, what map you're playing on, what nation your partner is, what your opponent's nation is, etc.

AU_niDe
If I was booming and going for a big GP army, I'd want diamonds, sugar, salt etc and if I didn't have them but my opponent did, Id raid them constantly to deny him those

AU_tl
This is one of the great pieces of the game- it's very versatile in so many ways.

AU_niDe
yeah

TheGoodEvil
What would each of you say your play style is?

AU_niDe
Hmm, Im pretty much an old school boomer but I love to raid, raid and boom. When it comes to fighting, Id rather think in 10s than 1s.

AU_tl
I'm generally aggressive.

I usually prefer medieval/gun/enlighten battles. Though w/ T&P harrying in ancient can be a total blast.

AU_niDe
I like classical fighting but after that enlight onwards I find I have the most fun.

TheGoodEvil
How do you feel about what T&P has brought to the game? Has it made it better or worse, how so?

AU_niDe
Much better, got people out of their Mayan hidey holes and pushed them to be aggressive.

AU_tl
I like what BHG has done in T&P (otherwise I'd still be playing RON). The game is no longer as defensive as it was. With the patriots the game is rewarding raiding more too which is nice.

AU_niDe
New nations add the right amount of flavor too.

AU_tl
Nothing like seeing 10 civies goes down to a couple HAs with your despot hanging out nearby

AU_niDe
I feel though not enough game changes where made in medieval, enlight, modern/info.

In classical, you have first governments and cavalry, GP you have 2nd gov and LI start dominating, indust you have 3rd gov, oil and everything is now ranged. Having more game changes in III, V and VII, VIII would have been cool.

TheGoodEvil
What are your takes on flamethrowers!?!

AU_niDe
Never used them online, I keep meaning to.

AU_tl
I never use them. They're too slow & they go down so quick.

AU_niDe
I do want to try roasting some scholars sometime though.

TheGoodEvil
I think I have yet to see 1 expert game or even high-inter game that uses Flamethrowers.

AU_niDe
Make em as fast as LI, and I bet you would.

TheGoodEvil
That sounds like a good idea but maybe too good lol

AU_niDe
Well they are still pretty expensive.

AU_tl
I can see niDe's army of flame coming @ me.

AU_niDe
roast tl! mmm

I'd go roast your wool rare, roast lamb for dinner

TheGoodEvil
Ok what are your secrets to winning games?

AU_niDe
Be cool and have an open mind.

If you get flustered because your plan didn't work, then your game is dead. Adaptability is what it is all about baby.

AU_tl
I'd say the secret to winning games is aging up on your opponent. Knowing you'll win when you attack. Usually being an age up means you'll win battles.

AU_niDe
Yeah and scouting, know what you're up against very important

TheGoodEvil
Any tips for team games in general?

AU_niDe
Be mindful of the rares you have at your disposal and communicate well Id say, try typing (or saying if you have voice software) something every 2 minutes or so, just so your partners know what is going on.

AU_tl
COMMUNICATE! and don't quit, ever.

AU_niDe
Yeah if you can keep your enemy busy even while youre dying, it can afford your teammate precious time to come save your ass.

Also, if youre dying, raid the guy who is killing you!!! it'll shift his attention giving you a bit more time.

TheGoodEvil
Last question. What are your feelings on the RoN community after the Xpac?

AU_tl
The player base still seems split between RoN and T&P. That's a bummer that hopefully will get solved once the European community gets the game. The RoN community in general is really great though, tons of active forums and people willing to help new players out.

I'd like to encourage those players that are thinking of playing out there but haven't pulled the trigger. This game is really, really fun.

AU_niDe
The forum community is still strong, but there has been a slight lack of players in the lobbies at times and some clans are under-represented I feel. But no doubt it'll take time for everyone to move to TaP from RoN.

Also I think every good player should help out the noobs every now and then. I often sit there answering questions or doing demo games for some people who have just started, the more people who do this the better the community is going to get.

TheGoodEvil
Well Id like to thank both of you for a great time and your vast knowledge on the game!

AU_niDe
Been a pleasure.

AU_tl
Yes, been a pleasure.

You can catch more AU at their official clan website (warning, some adult content).

Also check out these other great interviews
El_Capitan Interview
TWC_ShaDowZ Interview
TuF_Astator Interview
Gigi Interview

AuthorReplies:
AU_ShaeV
posted 05-30-04 05:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 1       
niDe and tl: have my babies.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to: