Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.212 replies, Sticky
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Modeling Help Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:Modeling Help Thread
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 9  Next Page »
uthum876
posted 06-06-10 02:24 PM EDT (US)         
Ok so I am going to start this thread so that any of us that are modelling can post our problems and questions here.

This is in the hope that any of our veteran modelers like ODA can drop by and answer some questions as I am beginner at Max too.

[This message has been edited by uthum876 (edited 06-07-2010 @ 03:13 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
uthum876
posted 01-14-12 10:40 PM EDT (US)     101 / 212       
just export the model in .3ds, open up the archer model again and delete the mesh and import the swordsman model onto the biped and nodes.
Super7700
posted 01-14-12 10:50 PM EDT (US)     102 / 212       
I tried that but for some reason the physique is deleted as well.

Also I have another question. Until I realised that you could simply make the uv map in 3ds Max, I followed ODA's guide and I split the guy's body into groups to make it simpler. Now when I try grouping the parts together again, when I go to the unwrap uvw menu, the edit button is greyed out. I can still edit the uv map for each body part. How I can I group the parts and be able to edit the uv map for the whole body? Does it even matter?

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~
uthum876
posted 01-15-12 01:09 AM EDT (US)     103 / 212       
Yea you have to rephysique it. When you group the parts, are you saying you export the model out into lithunwrap? If you do, don't do that, when you finish a model just unwrap it in max with the uvw unwrap modifier......it's so much easier.
Super7700
posted 01-15-12 01:26 AM EDT (US)     104 / 212       
That is so annoying! How do you even physique anyway? Is it particularly time consuming or difficult? Well thanks for your help anyway.

Originally I was going to use lithunwrap, so I put the model into different parts to make it easier (well that is what ODA's guide said to do), but lithunwrap made no sense. So then I discovered the unwrap UVW modifier.

~ Creator of Kings and Conquerors, a total conversion mod for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots ~

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 01-15-2012 @ 03:05 AM).]

uthum876
posted 01-16-12 01:59 AM EDT (US)     105 / 212       
I posted it earlier, but this is the best tutorial for rigging I could find on youtube. The author is using the vertex method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgL7W8NdTIY&feature=channel

I only use lithunwrap to create a .tga file. Just when u completely finishing unwrapping with the UVW modifier export the model into lithunwrap and then render a .tga file.
Super7700
posted 01-16-12 02:43 AM EDT (US)     106 / 212       
Okay thanks a lot.

Do you know if the uv map, texture and physiquing will work if my model is separated into groups (head, legs, arms etc)

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 01-16-2012 @ 03:33 AM).]

JeluArg
posted 01-16-12 02:44 AM EDT (US)     107 / 212       
Hi guys! i just started my first model and i want to share my progress with you. It would be great for me that you give me some suggestions so i dont screw the model. Itīs an a-4m (just a part of it for now :P) Greets!
First question: in the measures i put the real size of the plane, is that ok? or do i put it in scale better?
Super7700
posted 01-16-12 03:56 AM EDT (US)     108 / 212       
Wow it's looking good!

Uthum, I had a go at adding the physique modifier but I decided to see what would happen if I didn't modify it yet. I exported and tested it out in game, and the game didn't crash this time, but only one leg was showing. I think that it is something to do with how I put the model into groups, but nothing works properly when I regroup the parts (I can't edit the uv map and when I give it the physique modifier and try to export it, 3ds Max crashes.

So now I'm asking myself whether it is worth the effort or should I just start again?

I'd just like to know too, can I replace parts of the original archer model with certain parts I used for my model? (ie the helmet and shield). Those were really the only two things I did, and if that worked, I would be saved from doing the model again or doing the physiquing with my model which doesn't seem to work anyway.

uthum876
posted 01-16-12 02:03 PM EDT (US)     109 / 212       
Super you can't physique without having one unified model. Just select one part and then go into vertex mode and then press the attach button on the menu and then go around adding the other parts to it until your model is completely unified.

You can mess around the the original archer mesh, use the attach method I explained above when in vertex mode. Just delete the vertices of the parts of the archer you don't want and then attach the parts you created. To go into vertex mode just select the mesh and then press the "1" key on your keyboard's number pad. Then on the right hand menu under selection, there is a area called "edit geometry" and under that lies the "attach" button. Remember practice makes perfect.

@Jelu, very nice my friend. While your in this stage its not important to scale the model, once you finish it of course make it a lot smaller than it is with the "uniform scale" button in the top command bar. I would say make it smaller than the Churchill mesh BHG provided.

[This message has been edited by uthum876 (edited 01-16-2012 @ 02:19 PM).]

Super7700
posted 01-16-12 04:39 PM EDT (US)     110 / 212       
Ahh - I needed to use attach rather than group!

Okay I'll tell you how it goes!

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 01-17-2012 @ 06:40 PM).]

JeluArg
posted 01-17-12 01:55 AM EDT (US)     111 / 212       
Thanks for answering guys!
Iīll take your advice, thanks Uthum.

Well i advanced a little. I donīt like the nose and some parts of the air entries to the turbine (i dont know the name in english, the orange ones). Then i realized that the fuselage is incorrect, so i think iīll do that again. I have to give the correct shape to the wings, the tail, and the flaps (of course i got to do other little parts).

Question: Is there some tool to smooth the texture of the model? or do you think that the "details" arenīt going to be noticeable when the model is put in the game? (of course i want to do it the best that i can).

Good luck Super with swordsman! It seems your almost done
Super7700
posted 01-17-12 03:05 AM EDT (US)     112 / 212       
Thanks, it seems like you're making a lot of progress with your model - can't wait for you to release it!

With my model, it's all going well but for some reason, the vertex at the bottom of the shield is attached to the guy's spine, even though they do not touch. Everything else looks good. So the question is, how do I disconnect that vertex from the spine? Unless I'm not using it properly, the remove from link button doesn't do anything.

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 01-17-2012 @ 06:41 PM).]

Super7700
posted 01-17-12 10:10 PM EDT (US)     113 / 212       
I've finally got my model working in game!! (I'll add the shield and sword later)

What do you guys think?

By the way, if you do know the answer to the question above, please tell me, since I'm unable to add the shield or the sword because of that problem.

[This message has been edited by super7700 (edited 01-17-2012 @ 10:26 PM).]

uthum876
posted 01-17-12 11:51 PM EDT (US)     114 / 212       
Wow, looks beautiful. I would just build the sword and the shield into the model.
Super7700
posted 01-18-12 00:21 AM EDT (US)     115 / 212       
I tried that, but as I said, the vertex at the bottom of the shield and some on the blade of the sword automatically link themselves to the spine or some other place like that, even though they don't touch and I have no clue how to get rid of those particular links. It makes it so when the arms move, those particular vertices stay where they are, which looks really weird (well at least it happens in 3ds Max). The remove link button in the physique modifier doesn't appear to do anything.

ColonelMolotov
posted 01-26-12 04:38 PM EDT (US)     116 / 212       
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with unwrapping one particular model : the UVW map appears as if the ship was seen from the front only, making it impossible to skin properly :

I don't really know what to do about it. Any clues ?

Thanks in advance !
JeluArg
posted 01-27-12 06:10 PM EDT (US)     117 / 212       
Hi again guys! I canīt access internet from my home cause a problem with the telephone line. I made a new A-4 model (I have to finish yet some parts: the wings, the guns, etc. and align better other ones). I think this one is better, i hear critics.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cazabombardero/a47.png
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cazabombardero/a45.png
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cazabombardero/a4.png
I want to ask for help, cause I dont know how to unwrap and i dont have time here to watch tutorials (also i dont have the 3ds studio here, iīm in my girlfriendīs house), (sorry Colonel, i canīt help you :S). I can do the .tga but if someone like to help is welcome (i want to do argentine and brazilian cammos and someone else can do american, israeli, kuwait, etc)
Iīm going to use this references for the skin:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cazabombardero/1214223599053_f.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cazabombardero/48022.jpg

I hope my connection problem to be solved soon so i can watch tutorials in my house and dont have to bother you guys.
Greetings!

[This message has been edited by JeluArg (edited 01-29-2012 @ 06:35 PM).]

Dark Rebel
posted 01-28-12 11:57 AM EDT (US)     118 / 212       
Nice model that looks really good!

Hey i was wondering if anyone here uses Softimage ModTool 7.5 to do their modelling?
But from the looks of it everyone is using Autodesk products, (i know this because in my engineering class we use inventor) but those prices are a bit steep.

If there are any "free" Downloads of the stuff you guys are using let me know otherwise i am going to stick with using the ModTool free trial.
(I am having a hard time locating where to find the price for the full ModTool [Autodesk Softimage])

-[AS]Midnight_Spirit

Yes my email is RHGDaRe@gmail.com this means
Ron.HeavenGamesDarkRebel@gmail.com thank you for the patience.

[This message has been edited by Dark Rebel (edited 01-28-2012 @ 12:00 PM).]

Super7700
posted 01-28-12 04:58 PM EDT (US)     119 / 212       
3ds Max V would be your best bet for modelling Rise of Nations, because it is the only program you can use to export models straight to RON's .BH3 format. This may be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIS_qpsYN_w&list=UUVz2QWlWXlC1F1NxAOARsyQ&index=9&feature=plcp

JeluArg
posted 01-28-12 05:50 PM EDT (US)     120 / 212       
Yeah that link is great ... I finished the model and now i got to merge it in one mesh (to unwrap and make texture), iīll hope to have it uploaded for this week. Greets

Update:
Guys i think i really screw it up, i make the model to be only one mesh, and it has 3308 faces. Then i converted it into a poly, and it has 1271 faces. I think that for the game it has to be only 300 faces if not is not going to work well. Or it is not like that when iīd export for the game? Someone can tell me if i have to do it again whit another "technique" or if it can be fixed?
I have all the back ups, and i used a 13 meshes to give it the shape (9 cylinders, 3 lines and a cone...But i think iīm going to erase details like the guns, the "little think" on the tail, the probe, due to are not going to be visible in the RON). Can someone guide me or help me please (i can send the file).
Here is the finished model:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/cazabombardero/ODELOA4.png

Greets!

[This message has been edited by JeluArg (edited 01-29-2012 @ 06:48 PM).]

Dark Rebel
posted 01-31-12 00:24 AM EDT (US)     121 / 212       
@ Super,
I watched the vid and did everything that the video said to do down to every little detail. At the end though it came up with a message saying:
"DLL<C:\3dsmax5\plugins\RTSexport.dle>failed to initialize"
The same thing happened in his video and I am confused...is this supposed to happen or what? Please help thanks.

Here is the link to the video that I am referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCghy1ggvRQ&feature=related

-[AS]Midnight_Spirit

Wadis10
posted 01-31-12 01:59 AM EDT (US)     122 / 212       
Make sure you restart your computer and ensure the dll files have been successfully copied into your system32 folder.
Dark Rebel
posted 01-31-12 05:59 PM EDT (US)     123 / 212       
Yes I have restarted my computer and the files were copied to the system32 folder I am wanting to make sure if that error message is supposed to occur because it did the same in his video but he never said if it was bad or good.

EDIT: I was also wondering if you guys knew of any good tutorial videos that I could watch on building units for RoN, I would like to start working one some models (practice then final) of my own thanks!

-[AS]Midnight_Spirit

[This message has been edited by Dark Rebel (edited 01-31-2012 @ 06:22 PM).]

Wadis10
posted 02-01-12 01:27 AM EDT (US)     124 / 212       
What operating system are you on?
Vista and 7 sometimes won't let you copy files to system32, try checking the properties of each of the files in system32 to ensure they are the same as the ones in the .dll pack. If I have issues with that error it is usually because the files didn't copy properly for some reason.
gus89
posted 02-02-12 02:21 AM EDT (US)     125 / 212       
Here is my Chieftain for my cold war mod. Still having issues with how it comes out in game, it has this weird glowing effect which makes it hard to make out the shape of the tank. If anyone knows a solution the help would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't made a proper UV yet, just did a quick green colour in, hence the dark colour of the tank instead of grey.

[This message has been edited by gus89 (edited 02-02-2012 @ 02:22 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 9  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames