You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RoN Tech Support
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.618 replies, Sticky
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Tech Support » Report Bugs here so they get fixed!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Report Bugs here so they get fixed!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25  Next Page »
Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-21-03 02:25 PM EDT (US)         
I've noticed people complaining about not being able to play Rise of Nations because of bugs, patch problems... etc.

So... here's what the community can do to help BHG solve these issues and get them fixed.

1. Give a brief description of the problem. For example:
Game doesn't patch.

2. Give a detailed system analysis of you computer specs. To make this easier for people to find out what they have, go here and download the Belarc Advisor at www.belarc.com/free_download.html and/or just browse through your Device Manager.
For example:
1.8MGz Intel Pentium 4 (Win XP Pro. SP1 build 2600)
Dell OptiPlex GX240 MB with BIOS A03 03/01/2002
512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive with 21.85GB Free Space.
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4400 with driver 4.3.4.5 03/20/2003
(Optional) Cable Modem w/Firewall... etc.
Rise of Nations retail (English version) build 01.13.04.1801
No mods, no cracks, no trainers... etc.

3. Give a more detailed description of the problem. For example:
When updating the patch through GameSpy, it will download 100% then bring me back to desktop and patch RoN until it reaches 37%, then it will stop and give me an "Invalid Patch File Error" and a "Retcode positive - 32769". I have the English version of the game.

4. Give reproduction steps on how to make it happen again. For example:
1. Launch the game.
2. Go to Multiplayer Game.
3. Go to GameSpy Internet Matchmaking.
4. Click "OK" when it says to upgrade to version 01.14.05.0902.
5. When the download is complete, log into GameSpy with your password.
6. Observe the game going to desktop and stopping at 37% during the patch process.

5. If it's a multiplayer game, be sure to specify if it was through GameSpy Arcade, GameSpy Internal, or LAN/IP. Then list the settings for the Multiplayer game. For example:
Teams of 3
Great Lakes
Large (5/6 player)
No Cannon Time
Custom
End Age: Gunpowder Age
Elimination: Conquest
Victory: Conquest
Tournament Play enabled.
3 Humans vs. 3 Computers (Moderate, Moderate, and Tough)
Nations in the game were:
Aztecs, Mongols, Chinese, Chinese, Egyptians, and Russians.

6. If it's a single player Quick Battle game, list the same steps as in #5. If it's a Conquer the World Single Player Campaign... list:
1. What your Nation is.
2. What difficulty setting you have.
3. What Age it was in.
4. What country you were attacking, and what battle type it was.
5. What build you're in... and what build you started your Campaign in. For instance, the retail is 01.13.04.1801, and the patch is 01.14.05.0902. Did you start a campaign in the retail version and save the campaign... and then upgrade to the patch and load the campaign?

If you see your bug listed here already from someone else, just give your #2. Computer Specs.

[This message has been edited by Scrubs (edited 05-21-2003 @ 05:29 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Dimension_IV
posted 05-21-03 02:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 618       
Just tried doing a huge direct IP connect game with 5 friends and 3 computers. All three times, the host was disconnected about 20-30min into the game. We got some "exception error". It's really too bad. This game has the potential to be incredible over the LAN or online.

System Specs:
MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU (KT266A)
Kingston 896mb PC2100 DDR
AMD AthlonXP 2100+ (Palamino)
Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600 (30.82 drivers)
Enermax EG465P-VE 431watt power supply
Creative SBLive! 5.1 w/ newest official drivers
D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC w/ newest official drivers
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

The other guy that got the same error has:
Abit KT7A (KT133A)
512mb PC133 SDRAM
AMD Athlon 1.4ghz (T-Bird)
Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra
Linksys LNE100TX NIC
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

We then tried again, with a different host. He then crashed out as well.

He has:
AMD AthlonXP 2000+ (Palamino)
512mb PC2700 DDR
Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4400
Linksys LNE100TX NIC
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

[This message has been edited by Dimension_IV (edited 05-21-2003 @ 03:00 PM).]

Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-21-03 02:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 618       
Can you give more details? What build were you guys, and what language version? What were the multiplayer game settings? Do you guys remember anything specific that happened each game that might have caused the game to crash?
EclipseV
posted 05-21-03 03:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 618       
BUG 1.
Unable to initiate multiplayer game as host. allpeople visiable in intor room. none get thru to set up.

BUG 2.
game is way too laggy when trying to quit a game. it takes 2-4 minutes to return to the lobby. once it froze up and i had to reboot.

BUG 3.
multiplayer room- hitting space bar when the (click to cancel) bar is ont he screen will cancel game. this is a problem because if you are typing when the host starts a game, you will automatically cancel your game.

BUG 4.
HOT KEYs for the idle merchant and FORTRESS need to be added.

Audentis Fortuna iuvat.
Dimension_IV
posted 05-21-03 03:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 618       
We're all using the retail game, so whatever version that is. We haven't applied a patch of anything.

I can't think of anything that would have made us crash. I mean, we were all on the same team, against 3 computers, All is the first time my friend and I got the exception error, it was fairly early. About 20min into the game. The second time we had to drop the host (turned him into AI), it was probably more like 30-40min.

Let's see, both times we had the age limited to the gunpowder age. From ancient to gunpowder. We had no wonder victory or territory victory. It was on "big huge" map and with normal game speed. The first time we crashed the map type was austrialian outback. The second time, it was on great lakes.

Lerris
posted 05-21-03 03:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 618       
I can't join or host any multiplayer games. When I try to click on one of the multiplayer options like Gamespy Matchup or Direct IP/Lan it just gives me an error message.

"Unable to Establish Network Connection. make sure you are connected to the internet and try again."

I get the same message when using the actual gamespy client. I'm running on Verizon DSL and I have no router, firewall, or anti-virus software running. I know a few others who have this same problem as well.

Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-21-03 04:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 618       
Lerris: Make sure you have the latest updates for Windows. http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-21-03 06:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 618       
EclipseV:

BUG 1.
Unable to initiate multiplayer game as host. allpeople visiable in intor room. none get thru to set up.

Read RoN's ReadMe documentation. From my experience, people can't join games by hosts that are behind an ICS server, Firewall, or NAT. However, they can still join games hosted by others that aren't behind an ICS server, Firewall, or NAT.

BUG 2.
game is way too laggy when trying to quit a game. it takes 2-4 minutes to return to the lobby. once it froze up and i had to reboot.

Is this for multiplayer games through GameSpy, or Single Player games?

BUG 3.
multiplayer room- hitting space bar when the (click to cancel) bar is ont he screen will cancel game. this is a problem because if you are typing when the host starts a game, you will automatically cancel your game.

It could be by design, but I do find it annoying, too.

BUG 4.
HOT KEYs for the idle merchant and FORTRESS need to be added.

I don't know about merchants... but I agree that Fortresses should have a hotkey. You may be able to customize a hotkey for idle merchants and Fortesses in your Options... it might be a good thing to try out.

[This message has been edited by Scrubs (edited 05-22-2003 @ 03:35 AM).]

TheSatyr
posted 05-22-03 01:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 618       
Bug#1
Unable to get game running. I get the intro,but once the intro finishes,the game quits responding.

I've upgraded my Nvidia drivers,updated DirectX,played around with the color(32/16 etc),tried starting it without the intro,tried windowed mode...the game still doesn't respond.

Bug#2
I have to manually un-install RON. It will begin uninstalling,then quit responding within 10 seconds or so.

System Specs:
Hewlett Packard Pavillion
667Mhz
192MB of Ram
15 Gig HD(with 8 gigs free)
Geforce2 MX 400 64MB PCI card (w/43.45 drivers)
Crystal Audio Codec Sound Card
Win98SE
DX 9.0a

Rise of Nations Retail US version

Brodie00
posted 05-22-03 09:25 AM EDT (US)     9 / 618       
My bug:

1.)Game fails to run CTW

2.)650 mhz p3
win 98
256 ram
32 mb Prophet II vid card
30 gb hd

3.)CTW starts fine, allows me to choose civ, difficulty, and initial attack territory, but halfway through the map loading screen I am closed out of RoN and "Exception error" comes up.

4.)launch game, ctw, choose civ/difficulty, attack an area, game crashes

5.)n/a

6.)problem appears to be with all nations (I've tried 5 different ones) and difficulties. Version is most recent patch, v. 01.14.05.0902

Mix Masta
posted 05-22-03 11:18 AM EDT (US)     10 / 618       
TheSatyr and anyone else unable to get past the intro globe screen: Make sure you do not have any special/extra codecs or audio filters installed (eg. Nimo codecs) if you have them, remove them, worked for me.
ravenfire_72
posted 05-22-03 12:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 618       
I cant even play the game at all. It locks up between 30 seconds and about two minutes once started.
I am running DX9a and the latest Cat drivers(3.4) from ATi.
I have tried disabling sound acceleration and running with 16 bit colors with no luck. I have also follwed some other suggestions posted by others on this board. No luck whatsoever. I have uninstalled the game and ran a scandisk and Diskeeper on my hardrive and then reinstalled the game. Still the issues persists. Its a home built system.
Here are the specs.

Home Built
AthlonXP 2000 (Win XP Pro. Sp1 build 2600)
512MB Ram.
80GB WD Caviar SE with 68GB free.
Asus A7N8X Mobo (Nforce II Chipset).
ATi Radeon 9500pro 128Mb (Cat 3.4)
DX9A Installed.
Antec Case (430 Watt PSU)
Rise of Nations retail (English Version)
No mods,cracks or trainers.

I have not updated my chipset drivers yet even though there not that old. I read a post by someone saying that fixed there issues. I am in the process of doing that now. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

TheSatyr
posted 05-22-03 01:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 618       
I don't have any "extra" audio codecs in my system. I took those out to get the sound working with Freelancer.

Anyway,I took Rise of Nations back to where I bought it and got my money back. First time I've ever had to do that.

However,I would consider buying it again IF the "failure to respond" problems are ever fixed.

chewy
posted 05-22-03 02:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 618       
BUG: Can't see mouse cursor except for brief flashes.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Compaq Presario 5838
256MB RAM
AMD-K7 Athalon 500MHz
Nvidia GeForce2 440MX w/64MB (4.13.01.4072 drivers)
Microsoft Windows 98SE

FAILED SOLUTION:
Tried modifying my RoN shortcut Properties such that the "Target" box contains a new flag:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\rise.exe" -nohwcursor

The -nohwcursor flag doesn't seem to help. I am running in 800x600 32-bitTruColor mode. Doesn't seem to matter if I jump to 1024x768 or if I switch to 16-bitColor.

Help! I can see everything (except the cursor) and hear everything, but I can't see what I am trying to select!

chewy

ravenfire_72
posted 05-22-03 02:34 PM EDT (US)     14 / 618       
I have updated my chipset drivers and still no luck. The game locks after about 30 seconds. I am still unable to play any of the single player or tutorial missions.
I am using the WHQL nforce drivers from nvidia (2.41).
ravenfire_72
posted 05-22-03 02:54 PM EDT (US)     15 / 618       
I disabled the custom size on my swap file and let windows manage it and set my vid clock speeds back to default. The game still locks up. I have tried everything I can think of and its still not working. I have thought about updating my bios but it seems like that it wouldnt help considering the latest asus flash only enables support for AMD's with a 400Mhz fsb. Mine is running at 333MHz.
Any ideas?
Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-22-03 03:07 PM EDT (US)     16 / 618       
chewy:
Hardware color cursor support and game resolution: If running Rise of Nations on systems without hardware color cursor support, you cannot change the bit-depth from the Graphics options panel within the game. To change the bit depth between 16- or 32-bit, exit the game and select Start, Settings, and Control Panel. Double click on the Display icon and the click the Settings tab. Select either 32- or 16 bit color quality.

Some video drivers may cause the pointer to flicker: To solve this problem, right-click the Rise of Nations shortcut and click Properties or select Rise of Nations from the Start menu, right-click, and select Properties. In the Target box type -nohwcursor at the end of the existing text (e.g. \rise.exeĦ¨ -nohwcursor). Click Apply and OK.

chewy
posted 05-22-03 03:34 PM EDT (US)     17 / 618       
Scrubs,

1) I haven't tried changing anything as far as video settings go from the RoN menus. I always use the method described (i.e., via the control panel); so I don't see how this could be the issue.

2) As I stated in my message I already tried the -nohwcursor flag. I had no effect on my problem.

Any other ideas?

chewy

Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-22-03 03:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 618       
1. Go to your Rise of Nations folder which is probably in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations.
a. Open your rise2.ini file and change these settings to what I describe below:
ForceHardwareCursor=1

See if it works, if not:
ForceGDICursor=1

See if it works, if not:
ForceBWCursor=1

See if it works, if not:
Sound Enabled=0

See if it works, if it does, it's your sound card, if it doesn't, you can change all those back to the original settings.

We'll move on to plan C.

ravenfire_72
posted 05-22-03 03:58 PM EDT (US)     19 / 618       
Hey scrubs, Is this workaround to be used for all general issues with the game or just a specific "issue".
Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-22-03 04:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 618       
The previous one is cursor-specific for chewy-- he can't see his mouse cursor.
ravenfire_72
posted 05-22-03 04:05 PM EDT (US)     21 / 618       
Ok, Any suggestions that I can try or might have missed? Thanks.
chewy
posted 05-22-03 04:12 PM EDT (US)     22 / 618       
WooHoo! Thanks Scrubs! You are 10^99999999 times more helpful than the MS-Support people! That seemed to work. Although I'm a little worried.

-What exactly does my sound card have to do with graphics performance?
-Did the SoundEnabled option really fix this or was it the 3 Cursor options?
-What does the SoundEnabled option really do?

Thanks again,

chewy

chewy
posted 05-22-03 04:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 618       
Scrubs,

Forget it. I just answered my own questions:

Q: What exactly does my sound card have to do with graphics performance?
A: Nothing

Q: Did the SoundEnabled option really fix this or was it the 3 Cursor options?
A: No, the SoundEnabled option didn't really fix anything; it was the other 3 options that fixed the problem.

Q: What does the SoundEnabled option really do?
A: DUH! It enables/disables all sounds. I didn't like this so I went back and set it back to 1 again. My sound returned and I didn't have the cursor problem.

Cheers,

chewy

Scrubs
VIP
posted 05-22-03 04:37 PM EDT (US)     24 / 618       
lol, at least your problem was fixed. I just like mentioning sound... it sounds... good.
xarkxem
posted 05-22-03 06:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 618       
Get the same error as Brodie, scenerios and tutorials work fine, Conquer the World gets an exception error + crash to destktop as it's loading after you pick civilization/difficulty. Kind of depressing since that feature is what interested me in the game in the first place.

1.)Game fails to run CTW

2.)1200 megahertz AMD Athlon
Windows 98
256 ram
64mb Hercules Prophet 4500 vid card
40 gb hd

3.)CTW starts fine, allows me to choose civ, difficulty, and initial attack territory, but halfway through the map loading screen I am closed out of RoN and "Exception error" comes up.

4.)launch game, ctw, choose civ/difficulty, attack an area, game crashes

5.)n/a

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames