RoN Tech Support
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: - Gathering Exception Data Problem -
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 06-24-03 11:58 PM EDT (US)   
Alot of us here have had the same problem. At one point or another RON crashes to the desktop with the messsage "Gathering Exception Data" yada yada. I hope we can keep this post STICKY as this seems to be a growing issue that deserves alot more light shed on it than it has right now. Alot of people have this problem with playing just 1 certain area of the game but I happen to be unfortunate enough to have it happen everytime on any type of game.

Quoted from KingOfTheWorld:

Joining the club: it's a NULL pointer exception in their code that triggers the problem. Naughty naughty, you're supposed to check that pointers aren't NULL before using them...

This seems to be the best explination I've found at the present. I'm hoping that the next patch will address this problem as playing this game for 3min at a time leaves alot to be desired. It's basically a huge damn tease.

If this post dosen't become sticky I will bump it daily if no one has any objections.

"Der Kampf gegen die eigenen Oberen macht manchmal mehr Arbeit als gegen die Franzosen".
"It is sometimes tougher to fight my superiors than the French." - H. Guderian
Replies:
posted 06-25-03 00:10 AM EDT (US)     1 / 168  
That's a great request. Put this topic STICKY. Everyone should post there "exception gathering error" problem to show them how many peeps are having this ever so popular issue.
posted 06-26-03 01:36 AM EDT (US)     2 / 168  
bump... hope more people respond... argh .

"Der Kampf gegen die eigenen Oberen macht manchmal mehr Arbeit als gegen die Franzosen".
posted 06-26-03 01:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 168  
Got the same prob it's irritating but hopefully the'll fix it.

Grtzzz

posted 06-26-03 02:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 168  
i have the same problem too, and someone said you you can add -sw3dsound at the end of your shortcut to RON, but that hasnt helped me.
posted 06-26-03 03:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 168  
I think that adding -sw3dsound at the end of your shortcut helps out with sound problems.

posted 06-26-03 07:12 PM EDT (US)     6 / 168  
I have the same problem. VERY DISAPPOINTING that this has not been addressed or even mentioned in any of their patch talk. It runs on my laptop just fine, which is the only reason I am not more pissed than I am.

Can't imagine what it is like for people that can't play at all to feel TOTALLY IGNORED for so long...

posted 06-26-03 08:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 168  
It's very annoying, and since the policy in most stores is not to give a cash refund for a game, only an exchange, I feel cheated.

posted 06-26-03 11:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 168  
I've Had the game and the problem for 3 weeks and this is the first place I've found reference to the "gathering exception error". Done all the regular stuff including re-trying the newest detonator driver (which was previously removed to get Freelancer working, even though the install reported there were new drivers and insisted I install them). I've been checking various boards every so often trying to salvage my hopes to play this game. I found I could crash it every time by playing the training mission 2 as soon as I clicked on Bodicea. Anyway I read where you could tweak the rise2.ini file by setting from auto

SYS_grade_override(A-F or AUTO)=A
MEM_grade_override(A-F or AUTO)=A
CPU_grade_override(A-F or AUTO)=A
GPU_grade_override(A-F or AUTO)=A

and from 0
EnableGraphicsToggles=1
(I run All my Games Maxed)

This Got me past the second trainer and I thought I was golden, I finally was in the 2nd to last trainer and got it again after about 3 air strikes by Germany.

I hope this may give someone some ideas, because after being directed to Microsoft tech support by Freelancer and RoN I wouldn't count on their help.

posted 06-27-03 02:44 AM EDT (US)     9 / 168  
I'm going to try your suggestion Kragglaxx, hell if you were able to get past two trainers that's more than I have so cheers to that. I will post my results.

posted 06-27-03 03:26 AM EDT (US)     10 / 168  
Just tried those settings, now I can play about 2min more than usual, which is not bad because now I've seen a battle. But still 5min per game is not so good.
NOW before the Exception Data error I get this exact popup.

BHG RTS run time ERROR

NO GAIAN GPIECE - VERY BAD

[Click RETRY to debug, IGNORE to turn this message off and continue]

Safe to Ignore - UNLIKELY

Then there's 3 buttons, either Retry, Ignore or Abort.
I've tried all three and they bring me right back to the damn Gathering Exception... It's as if the game mocks me in that message.

posted 06-27-03 03:37 AM EDT (US)     11 / 168  
Update, That extra error seems to only occur in training missions, I tried a skirmish and I just got the same old Gathering Exception.

posted 06-27-03 11:56 AM EDT (US)     12 / 168  
i get this error when opening the conquer the world campaign.
posted 06-27-03 02:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 168  
I get it usually in CTW or right after loading screen on a multiplayer game.
posted 06-27-03 11:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 168  
bump

posted 06-28-03 09:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 168  
bump!

posted 06-29-03 09:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 168  
Im getting the same crap. Just been reading until now. Putting my 2 cents in. I can go 10-15 mins. I save alot so I am almost 1/4 way through my first game. In another month I might even beat the map. This game is pretty good, except for the friggin crashes!

Specs
Homemade clone
motherboard :elite k7s5a
CPU :AMD2100
Video :msi geoforce ti4400
sound :soundblaster live value
ram ny ddr ram 2100 256x2

my system is phat. I can play everything out there but this.

posted 06-29-03 11:53 AM EDT (US)     17 / 168  

Quote:

If this post dosen't become sticky I will bump it daily if no one has any objections.

Bumping threads is rather frowned upon here, so consider this an official objection to your doing this.

As for your problems, What version of the game are you running? Have you tried lowering your graphics for the game by setting the above mentioned items to F and seeing what happens?

posted 06-29-03 02:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 168  
Obsidian,

I appreciate your attention to this, however, rest assured I (and probably most other people with this problem) have tried every available permutation. On some of the earlier posts, people even went so far as re-formatting their drive, re-installing everything and going from scratch. Yes they tried all of the setting changes as well.

When the game won't play it is amazing how much time you have for tweaking, and it starts to get annoying when someone comes in and says "yeah, but did you try that easy change?"

I personally even updated my bios to see if that would help. Somebody that knows much more than I do about these things said it has to do with a "null pointer" reference. It would be interesting to hear from BHG on that??

The touchy-feely posts that BHG is making are great, but it is now time to get down to the nuts and bolts.

Thanks.

posted 06-29-03 05:06 PM EDT (US)     19 / 168  
I will try that but considering the other's replies I don't think it will help. As for bumping I will stop, I just wish this topic would become sticky because this is a very serious problem for ALOT of people.
Thanks.

posted 06-29-03 06:21 PM EDT (US)     20 / 168  
Have used that suggestion and once again failed.

posted 06-29-03 06:39 PM EDT (US)     21 / 168  
I get the "Gathering Exception Data Problem" whenever I try to play CTW. In another "Gathering Eception Data Problem" thread (actually more than one) I asked that it be made sticky. Why not? Refusing such a simple request may leave the impression you are trying to hide this problem

below is my email exchange with Chris Coleman. Still no word back

>-----Original Message-----
>Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 12:39 AM
>To: forumsupport List Member
>Subject: [forumsupport] CTW ATI Crash
>To "ccoleman" and "stuartjeff",
>I am getting the "gathering exception data" error when I try to start a CTW
>game.
>I have attached the dxdiag.
>Brasidas

At 08:50 AM 6/23/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Kevin,
>I have been looking over your DXDIAG dump and have found that the following
>drivers need to be updated.
>Audio -
>http://support.dell.com/filelib/download.aspx?FileID=47092&ReleaseID=R40573
>Also try running Windows Update. After the new drivers and updates are
>installed try running CTW again and let me know the outcome.
>
>Thanks,
>Chris Coleman
>Test Manager
>Big Huge Games

Chris,
Thank you for your prompt reply! I followed the link and installed the driver. I also got the Windows ME updates. I rebooted and ran RON. I still crash out to the "gathering exception data" when I try to play CTW. It happens 15 seconds after I select difficulty and race.
Also, my sound didn't work anymore. The device manager showed I needed to "update the driver" so I did. Then when I tried to run RON, as it began to load I got the following error message: "Nations has caused an error in ~DF394B.TMP. Nations will now close." I restarted again and was able to load RON but still no CTW.
Any suggestions? I'd be happy to send you a copy of the "error report contents" that is sent to microsoft.

[This message has been edited by Obsidian (edited 06-30-2003 @ 04:06 PM).]

posted 06-30-03 01:07 AM EDT (US)     22 / 168  
hi guys,
seems that we all have the same problem with this 'Gathering Exception Data Problem' message.
well, when I first installed RON I got it, so I updated my Windows Media Player to version 9 (latest one) cus I thought it could not load the short movies......well the update to WMP v9 worked and now I don't have that message anymore.

my game started playing and everything seemed well....the next time I tried to play it....the screen turns black like it gonna load, but then it minimizes and does nothing.....I can click on it but it doesnt do nothing.
So I guess this game is full of bugs

the only time it might work is when I restart my pc like a thousand times, before it lets me play it.

I've got all the latest drivers installed on and my GPU is a MSI GF4 TI 4200 8x 128mb.....so this should run it smoothly cus I read in other topics on this forun that people have got it running on a lower GPU tha I have.

if anyone finds out why its doing the 'minimizing' could they let me know, if u have a fix for it.
cheers

also, has anyone thought of all of us in this forum to send an email to microsoft about these problems??
maybe they will eventually see sense and get their finger out of there......(u know what)

posted 06-30-03 03:27 PM EDT (US)     23 / 168  
Hi everyone!

I apologize for the delay in posting this reply. Currently we are working on a potential fix for the CTW loading issue for patch 3, this fix might solve the issue. In the meantime I am still trying to find a work around that will help you all to play before patch 3 arrives.

Thanks,
Chris Coleman
Test Manager
Big Huge Games

posted 06-30-03 03:53 PM EDT (US)     24 / 168  
mikeleung26,

Have you tried the SkipIntroMovies selection in rise2.ini? If not open your rise2.ini file and edit (or add) a line that says "SkipIntroMovies=1" (without quotes).

The location of your rise2.ini should be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\rise2.ini

Thanks,
Chris Coleman
Test Manager
Big Huge Games

posted 07-01-03 00:45 AM EDT (US)     25 / 168  
I appreciate all the effort being put into fixing this problem.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN Tech Support » - Gathering Exception Data Problem -
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames