You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.70 replies
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Throne & Patriots Expansion Pack » TaP won't start
Bottom
Topic Subject:TaP won't start
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
ClinoJim
posted 05-06-04 02:54 AM EDT (US)         
Just what the title says. I try to start the game, I get the hour glass for half a second, then nothing. I've tryed reinstalling, starting the game with a clean boot, same thing. I remember having a similar problem for KoTOR but they took care of themselves after a reboot. The weird thing is that regular RoN works fine. Any ideas?
AuthorReplies:
DonTheDime
posted 05-06-04 10:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 70       
How do you start the game? I know that sometimes the same thing happens to me, but then I try again, using a different method. For example, you can select "Play" from the Setup menu when the CD loads up (if you have auto-run) but you could manually load up (start-->run...etc.). Also, you could go to the start menu and then select the shortcut from the appropriate programs folder. If you had Setup install a shortcut on the desktop, that is another option, although for me that was the method that would end up not starting the game (so I just don't use it). You could also open up MyComputer and go to the folder where you installed the expansion and double click on the .exe file. Hope this helps.
ClinoJim
posted 05-06-04 12:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 70       
Ya, I thought of that, I've started it from the autorun cd window, the start menu and the shortcut on the desktop, no dice. Maybe I'll try a reboot into safe mode and then install the game under safe mode, hmm.
AC3
posted 05-06-04 03:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 70       
Jim-

Actually, I've had this problem for almost a week. As of this date, I STILL get the same problem with the RoNX. I have tried multiple fixes: reinstalling, dirextx updates, video driver updates, using the CD-Drive of a computer on which RoNX DID work (but didn't work when I used it on my computer), installing the patch directly from a DOS script, etc.

I've been communicating with MS tech support but so far this hasn't really gotten me anywhere. I'm frankly quite annoyed. I cannot figure out what the problem is, and neither can any of my friends.

Some other people have had this problem, and have actually had to REFORMAT their HDDs in order for RoNX to work. For me, this is currently not an option, as I need to get a CD-R drive and quite a few CD-Rs to back up my data before I attempt anything like that.

Try contacting MS tech support. At the very least, we can make MS increasingly aware of the problem BHG's game is having with some of our systems.

If you DO fix your system, be sure to tell us how. =/ Maybe I can fix mine by replicating your fix.

animatormike
posted 05-07-04 05:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 70       
I'm having the same problem. Here is my latest communication from Microsoft. I haven't been home to try it yet, but it appears to be what some of you are saying you have tried. If anybody figures out the problem please post it.

Here are the steps we are finding to fix this problem

1. Install Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots.
2. Click OK for the errors regarding the Patch File.
3. Browse to the following folder: <cd drive>:\Patch
4. Copy the files: patch.rtp, patcher.exe
5. Paste these files into the Rise of Nations folder, which by default is located
at: <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations
6. Click Start and then click Run.
7. Type cmd and then click OK. If on Win9x, type command and then click OK. 8. In the command prompt window, type cd \ and then press Enter. 9. If necessary, in the command prompt window, change to the hard drive where Rise
of Nations is installed. For example, type d: and then press Enter.
10. In the command prompt window, change to the folder where Rise of Nations is
installed. For example: type cd Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations and
then press Enter.
11. In the command prompt window, type patcher patch.rtp and then press Enter. 12. After the update completes, type exit and then press Enter.

Let me know if this works for you.

SychoLamer
posted 05-11-04 09:03 AM EDT (US)     5 / 70       
I got the same problem and your fix dosen't work for me. It does appear to patch stuff the first time thru...but i still won't load. Anyone with another suggestion?
Teravius
posted 05-11-04 06:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 70       
I tried this patch fix and I still get the "invalid patch error" thing when I install. I don't know if this has anything at all to do with my other error (the screen truning white about a minute into gameplay) but I am kinda suspicious.
AC3
posted 05-15-04 10:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 70       
Just wanted to update and say that, nearly half a month later and constant communication with tech support, I still have not been able to get RoNX to run. =/

Wanted to also know if anyone has managed to fix their situation, by now.

-Chris

animatormike
posted 05-16-04 03:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 70       
I'm in the same boat. I'm on the verge of reformatting harddrives and reinstalling everything, although Microsoft says that is only working in about 50% of the cases. The case worker I have been talking to says that in all of the cases he is working the computer has both a CD burner and a DVD Rom player. He didn't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but it was at least curious. In their last call Microsoft offered my money back, I didn't take them up on it yet, but my patience is running out.
HighOctane
posted 06-11-04 12:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 70       
I'm having the same problem also, and my dad is a computer engineer, and he can't figure out the problem and how to fix it either this is bs.
One_Dead_Angel
Seraph in Absentia
(id: One_Dead_Villy)
posted 06-21-04 04:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 70       
I had this problem before. and using the patcher i fixed it sorta but i couldnt log into MP still then I tried loggin into the original ron MP a few times and for some reason after a few tries on the Xpack that worked finally.

Then recently. Trying to play with TGE who for some reason couldnt get into my games. The game crashed on me when I cancelled the session. Then after that I couldnt run TaP again. Tried reinstalling a few times and even a system restore and no good.

Finally what I tried was install the game from my regular DVD-ROM and not from my DVD-RW (i used that cause i had the original game installed from the DVD-ROM and wanted to keep both versions CD check happy since sometimes games dont like it when u put the CD in another drive from the one u install it from). But apparently something is wierd about the CD check. BUT anyways when I installed TaP from the non-writable regular DVD-ROM, I was able to run TaP. It still had the retcode error but it didnt seem to effect running the game this time. I havent tried MP because coincidently Gamespy is down for maintenance tonite.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 06-21-2004 @ 04:12 AM).]

polarbee
posted 06-23-04 10:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 70       
I'm running RONTP on an AMD 3200+ machine with an ATI Radeon 9600 video card. I wasn't able to get the extension to play for a week, until I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. Now it works fine. Go figure.
thao
posted 06-27-04 05:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 70       
ok, all of a sudden i got the same problem!
me, a computer god and ron fanboy.

i tried many things and theire was only one fix.
i cant tell the fix here for obvious reasons. anyone with this problem can email me and i give you a solution. note, i wont answer people who never posted about theire problem here.

bgfanzwo@gmx.de

btw, feel free to email me viruses or stuff, i dont care

Paul Grazulis
posted 07-11-04 01:04 AM EDT (US)     13 / 70       
Hey folks, I'm havin' the same exact problem with RONT&P as the one described in this chain of notes...I am working with a Dell Dimension 8300 with:
- 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card
- Samsung DVD-ROM SD 616T, along with that is also a NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
- Win XP ver. 2002 w/ Service Pack 1
- Pentium 4 CPU, 3.06 GHz
- 1 GB of RAM

RON works fine, but RONT&P just responds as ChinJim describes...half second of hour glass then computer just sits there as I stare at my desktop.
I do receive the "invalid patch file error" and "retcode positive-32769" errors. Tried suggestion offered by Microsoft of clean booting my system to no avail. Tried starting up T&P from vaious shortcuts but also with no success. Tried loading T&P with RON patched and without the patch also no success. Tried OneAngel's suggestion...no success. I'm about to try AnimatorMike's "moving of the patch files" suggestion...see how that one goes. But I'm nearly at wits end and I'm eager to try out the Cold War scenario...think it would be pretty cool after playing the regular RON. Hoping someone has some new information regarding this Gordian Knot of a problem. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Paul Grazulis (edited 07-11-2004 @ 01:06 AM).]

thao
posted 07-11-04 05:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 70       
read the post above. i have a solution i cant tell in here. email me, i got like 10 mails already and afaik i could help all those guys (one hasnt replied back yet).
stpatrick
posted 07-21-04 09:47 PM EDT (US)     15 / 70       
seems we are all having the same problem and the only way to get the answer is too first say right here i have the same problem and its pissing me off followed by me emailing the person in the above post. well off to email now. hope it helps.
OttoSkorzeny
posted 07-22-04 05:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 70       
My friend is having this problem, too. I'm trying to help him as much as possible, but he is no good by himself at computers... I had him get the newest Radeon catalyst drivers, but that didn't fix anything. RoN T&P has worked since yesterday, and even early this morning, then just suddenly won't work for him anymore.
OttoSkorzeny
posted 07-23-04 11:30 PM EDT (US)     17 / 70       
I should also mention that my friend's game worked up until the day that it stopped. He had it and played T&P for aqbout two days before it stopped. Infact, he played it the morning it stopped working.
suckit
posted 07-25-04 01:46 AM EDT (US)     18 / 70       
I have the same stupid problem, glad to know i'm not alone at least...got the expansion given to me as a gift, roped off today to play (as I love<d> the original RON..) and instead, i've been trying to get this damn thing to work all day...uninstalled, reinstalled (both RON and TaP), tried to run from shortcut, tried to run from direct executables, etc etc....no luck...i'm using a 2.4 Ghz p4 with a geforce 3 and 256 ram with xp as my OS...combo dvd-cd rw drive...this is lame...now i'm gonna email that dude above that says he has the solution...not sure why he won't post it, but whatever..
Dave1979
posted 07-25-04 02:47 PM EDT (US)     19 / 70       
Thank god I'm not on my own! I've been having the same problem and it's driving me mad as I love Rise of Nations but T&P just wont start! I've tryed contacting support and uninstalling and installing it again but nothing seems to work! Oh well like I said I feel slightly better knowing its not just me! Anyway I'm gonna contact the guy above as I'm hoping he has the answer!
southpaw817
posted 07-26-04 02:32 AM EDT (US)     20 / 70       
Hi everyone...............same problem........Original RoN works, but expansion does'nt load up. Im about to return it but i really wanted to play it lol.
Dave1979
posted 07-26-04 08:05 AM EDT (US)     21 / 70       
Hi All, has anyone figured this out yet as I'm close to returning it and getting my money back now!
southpaw817
posted 07-27-04 00:17 AM EDT (US)     22 / 70       
Hey all..........As you have read i had the same problem as you all had. But somehow i got it to work. Heres what i did. I uninstalled the original RoN and reinstalled it. When i did this is told me i had some patch 32 error in the RoN folder. I took that patch out of the folder and it let me fully install RoN. I restarted my comp then i installed TaP and restarted again. When i clicked the game it loaded. Unlike before were i got the little timer for 10-15 secs then nothing. Go figure.
thebigticketpo
posted 07-27-04 00:33 AM EDT (US)     23 / 70       
I'm having the same problem as everyone else, and it's pissing me off. I try to start the game and nothing happens. I've tried reinstalling it, starting the game with a clean boot, and even using the original Rise of Nations. If anyone has found a way to fix it I would appreciate the help.
Thanks
thao
posted 07-27-04 11:53 AM EDT (US)     24 / 70       
are you blind?

i said i have a fix. see post above with my email.

g0dlike
posted 08-03-04 05:57 PM EDT (US)     25 / 70       
I've had this problem for months and it seems WindowBlinds (a skinning app) was the culprit. I did everything listed in animatormike's post and the expansion pack still wouldn't work. I finally disabled WindowBlinds (specifically wbload.exe) and it loads now. Just follow animatormike's instructions to install the game, disable WindowBlinds, and your problems should be solved. If you don't want to disable WindowBlinds every time you run T&P just browse to your WindowBlinds folder, run wbconfig.exe, and click on Per Application. You can then prevent WindowBlinds from skinning T&P. Hope this helps some people.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames