THIS MOD IS A MASSIVE OVERHAUL OF THE ORIGINAL GAME. IF YOU DON'T LIKE REALLY LONG GAMES AND HIGH COSTS, THIS MAY NOT BE FOR YOU.
Disclaimer: This modpack has the TaP redux mod that it uses for its base. I have not asked the author if I can use his mod in this, therefore if he has a problem with it, I can put the file down.
This modpack includes all the units from the TaP redux mod, as well as buildings, while heavily modifying the costs, times and stats of techs, buildings and units. It also tries to rebalance some of the nations. The goal was to create a longer more strategic gameplay, whilst making age advancement more meaningful.(read below for changes)
The civilian buildings (such as houses, appartments and certain statues,etc.) from the TaP redux mod have an insane cost to build (this was done as a way to disable the buildings in-game, as disabling them through the files made it crash for some reason..). This was done so that the AI doesn't build unconnected walls and spams houses all over the place.
(P.S.: If you want to re-enable the buildings, simply open the buildingrules.xml and edit the costs yourself.)
The changes in this mod are extensive so let me just write down some of the highlights:
MAP AND TECHS:
- 30% larger 'big huge' map sizes
- Tech and age costs and times massively increased
- Gather rates decreased
- Ramp up costs increased
- Population limit overhaul (starts at 50 and goes up by 50 for every military research tier -> up to a maximum of 500)
- Government choice is now more important (old choices increase bonuses for every new choice and larger difference between government types)
BUILDINGS AND TOWNS:
- City range increased by 20%
- More farms per city (base 10, +5 for each level)
- Towers and forts heavily modified:
- More HP, more armor
- More attack, more arrows, more arrows per garrison
- Very effective against ALL units (except siege weapons) - can now DECIMATE an army if attacked without siege
- Docks have more HP
- Supply wagons and generals have increased range
- Siege weapons cost more and take more population limit
- Ships completely overhauled (about 3x tougher but cost more and take more pop limit)
- Government generals have larger differences and more armor and HP, as well as radius
- Wonders cost increased and longer build time
- Rare resource bonuses readjusted
- Nukes cost A LOT and take LONGER to build, however they don't use population
- Nukes and missiles do more damage
- Armageddon clock turned back to 200+ (depends on amount of players)
- Borders tweaked (more from forts and cities, less from civics)
- Scouts twice faster
and much, much more..
Overall I think this mod works pretty well (tested it with some friends and it seems to be balanced out pretty well). It now has a more civilization type feel to it and i think is much more strategic. That being said, this type of gameplay may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Here are the recommended settings on which to play (other settings may throw things out of balance - experiment at your own risk):
MAP SIZE: Big Huge
GAME SPEED: Normal
GAME RULES: Custom
GAME MODS: 0wca mod
START WITH: City Center Only
TECHNOLOGY: Very Expensive and Slow
REVEAL MAP: Explored
RUSH RULES: Peace for 30 min <or whatever you want -> 30 min is actually 45 min..>
START AGE: Ancient Age
END AGE: Information Age
VICTORY: Conquest <other victory types haven't been changed fyi>
THIS MOD NEEDS RISE OF NATIONS EXTENDED EDITION. HAVE NOT TESTED ON OTHER VERSIONS!
- copy the contents of the .zip file into the root directory of RoN.
- Start game and under game modifications in the lobby, select '0wca mod'.