Posted on 05/27/05 @ 03:38 PM (updated 05/28/05
EXTRA GOODIE: THE FILE DOWNLOAD INCLUDES A WORD DOCUMENT THAT WALKS YOU THROUGH PART OF THE SCRIPT FOR STALINGRAD AND TEACHES YOU THE BASICS OF SCRIPTING SO YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN COOL SCENARIOS.
DESIGN: This scenario was designed using RON TaP scenario editor, with custom scripting and sounds, including music from the movie Enemy at the Gates, an authentic German Army (I think Waffen SS) marching song, and a little Pink Floyd for fun. NOTE THIS IS SOMEWHAT OF A BETA VERSION because I had to do intense scripting. IF YOU FIND A GLITCH, TELL ME!
This scenario is an update of my very first scenario: Stalingrad, created back in January.
SOUND NOTE: When you receive your orders, you will hear a German voice. This is a clip from one of Hitler's speeches. I don't know what he's saying, so if you speak German and he's saying something offensive, please don't yell at me, just let me know and I'll change it.
The sound files you download with this scenario should be kept in the same folder as the scenario files, so they'll play during the scenario.
SCENARIO: 1942. Hitler has invaded the USSR and after initial successes decides to launch a southern offensive to capture strategic oilfields. The key to this region is a city that bears the name of his most hated enemy--STALINGRAD. This city was virtually decimated during the long battle that followed. This scenario covers the initial German successes in penetrating the city.
MISSIONS: You will have 4 missions to complete in this scenario. The total game will probably take you about 35-40 minutes to complete.
Mission #1: Hold the Train Station. After penetrating the city, the Russians launch a fierce human wave counterattack. You must scramble to hold the Train Station.
Mission #2: Seize the Tractor Factory. From your bridgehead, you must assemble an assault group of armor and infantry and take this objective through a layered Soviet defense made up of Josef Stalin III tanks ("Tanks"), T34 tanks, Anti-Tank Guns and infantry.
Mission #3: Sink the Russian Boats. The Russians are pouring reinforcements into Stalingrad across the River Volga. Take command of a fighter squadron and sink as many boats as you can. You get to choose the type of airplanes used in the mission, each with different strengths and weaknesses.
Mission #4: Seize the Red October Factory. This is a major stronghold in Stalingrad. Assemble an assault group of armor and infantry and take it.
VICTORY CONDITIONS: Complete all objectives.
COMMAND & CONTROL: You will be given a toolbar on most missions that gives you various levels of air and artillery support. You can launch recon planes, launch bomber missions, and call in artillery support.
There is a random factor here. When you call in a support mission, it simply might not be available at that time because the German Army is fighting all over the city and planes and artillery are on missions supporting all units. You will have to wait until the air or artillery support becomes available.
When you get support, it only lasts a brief period of time, so make it count. Another random factor determines what types of planes you get, how many units, and for how long they will support you.
PROMOTIONS: If you perform a particular mission very well, usually by completing your objective with few losses, you will be promoted and move up in rank. At the end of the game, you will find out how far you went up the ladder of German command. These are the levels you can achieve:
PERSPECTIVE: I played with unit sizes in this scenario. Basically, I locked in the zoom to the lowest level for maximum detail, and made the infantry units smaller, so that they would be properly scaled to the buildings. The net effect is the units look right for a medium zoom, but the buildings all look larger. I did this to create maximum ambience for the game. The detail at the lowest level is great.
Unfortunately, this meant I could not use MGs. The MGs simply wouldn't resize.
The other thing about this is your riflemen or some other unit might be large or fluctuate big/small for a little at the beginning of the game, but after a few seconds it will straighten out.
GLITCHES: Whenever you push RON too hard as a tactical game scripting, you get glitches. The only glitch I know of in this scenario is that if you save, it may change the zoom-in view. The zoom-in is recorrected at the start of each mission. If you see other glitches, let me know and I'll fix them if it's possible. Sometimes RON giveth, and RON taketh away.
RUSSIAN VERSION? If I get good reviews for this scenario and requests, I will create a Russian Counterattack scenario where the Soviets slowly encircle the German 6th Army in Stalingrad and hammer it until it surrenders. Let me know if this is something you'd like.
* All your units start in "Defensive" stance, and your barracks and auto plant will build units in "Defensive" stance. If you want them in "Aggressive" stance, make the appropriate changes.
* Pause the game when you have to so you can properly place artillery fire and shift troops around.
* During big missions to attack the Russian factory objectives, try staging your attacks. If you try to manage too big an army, it can get unwieldy and you can end up taking unnecessary casualties. I found that splitting the force was a good idea. I had the first force attack and move to a certain point, then I had the other one pass it and move on, leap-frogging.
* You are judged on casualties so if you're really into the detail you can occasionally try to move damaged units out of the battle so they don't get eliminated.
* The basic medium of exchange for all units is metal. Tanks are very expensive, but hard to kill by infantry. Be careful about building too many tanks, though, because you are judged on how many units you have at the end of the objective, and if you build all tanks you won't get a good score.
* Be sure to build infantry as well because infantry is necessary to take objectives.
* Use your infantry with tanks moving together so that enemy tanks focus on your infantry instead of your tanks. Tanks kill tanks very easily.
* Your German tanks are much better in quality than the Russian tanks. The Russian tanks have better mobility, but your Tigers have better armor and firing power.
Mission #1. Hold the Train Station.
* Note you have a building that you can raze to allow an avenue of reinforcements to move in.
* Artillery support is everything. You only get the artillery for a brief period so make it count. When the Russians are massed, they can be killed in droves with well directed artillery fire.
* Don't let the Russians get anywhere near the Train Station (Versailles Wonder), or they will seize it and you will lose.
Mission #2. Take the Tractor Factory & Mission #4. Take the Red October Factory.
* Your artillery won't know who to fire at, so use your recon planes to find enemy units. Try to time your artillery fire with the recon plane or your bomber mission. (Visibility is necessary for your artillery to spot enemy forces.)
* When I played this game, I used up all my support missions while waiting for my army to build. The bombers and artillery did a good job at softening up the enemy by taking down a number of troops, paving the road for my advance.
* It would be a good idea for your recon plane to try to find the Red October Factory, which you can't see on the map until it's located. You know the general area, but not exactly where.
* For both of these missions, the recon planes can also help identify parts of the city. The city is set up kind of like a maze in parts. You will need to map out a good route you want to take so you don't end up in dead ends.
* When you take on the Red October Factory, try to avoid the center of the map, where you see the Soviet HQ. The area is swarming with Russians. You won't survive.
Mission #3. Sink the Russian Boats. The type of plane you choose will be very important here. The scale changes to max. zoom-out so you can more easily control your planes. The Russian boats move at different speeds and have different hit points. I found that preying on the boats that died easiest got me the maximum kills and a good score for the mission.
THANKS FOR PLAYING: I hope you enjoy this scenario. If you like it, please give it a good review. If you don't like, let me know what you don't like and I'll see if the scenario can be improved. I put a ton of time into this one so hopefully you will tell me a good war story in return for a fun game.
|Author||Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
Most playable. Wow. Great. Hard to describe it otherwise. The difficulty was just right.
I liked the balance between the HP on the germans and russians, liked the 1 hit kills on tanks too.
It may be historical, but it was full of surprises and I loved the command orders.
Map Design: 5
Beautiful map design. loved how units could go through "alleys" in buildings. gave a sense of street fighting.
Great story and i loved the command system and the way you can get promoted. Top-notch.
All-in-all best scenario i've ever played.
Wow! Artillery and air support all at my fingertips..mwhahahahaha. You did a great job of giving the player limited resources so that you don't build a large unwieldy army.
German Tanks triumph over all, but occasionally there would be an anti-tank gun that would blow my infantry to pieces.
When I first started the scenario it felt exactly like I was watching Enemy at the Gates, when the Russians come charging toward my tanks and get slaughtered. The custom sounds were very good too.
Map Design: 5
Very good eye candy, one of the best maps you have designed.
Very clear instructions about how to use the support options and the ranking system was great.
You really outdid yourself here. This is one of your best, if not the best scenarios I have played in a while. Also, thanks for the script walkthrough, it will help me a lot because I really want to learn scripting.
(Very good job MP, easy to play and understand everything that happens in the game, trilling game with lots of twists that gives you a 5 on this, just great.)
(good job, but its a bit hard, it toke me a while until i pass the first mission, even with the fire support( very well done)!!!)
(Just a fantastic scenario, lots of eyecanddie and goodies, the historycal exact units names and facts are just great, nice job men!!!)
Map Design: 5
(Great STALINGRAD city design and the rest of the map is excellent, it has it all!)
(Crystal intructions, never lost... it has a excellent script backing up the game. keep the good work MP!!)
(Everything is great on this scenario, from the scale funtions, lock funstions to the support bar options, and greater than that, they all work just fine, great trilling game!!!)
(Execellent, but i think the German tanks are a bit strong overall, that contributes alittle to the game balance!!)
(Excellent story line, excellent script, excellent sounds... no words men, fantastic job, the more than one mission idea was just great!!)
Map Design: 5
(Great Stalingrad city map, love your map stylling!!)
(Great story and instructions, i never felt lost here... the ending promotions are great, i think this way of finishing the game never was used before, my congratulations MeatPuppet!!)