The Battle For the Sea 2
This is my first attempt at creating a scenario based on a historical battle. The information contained in the scenario(s) are summaries of research found pertaining to the actual battles. There were three major battles at the City of Ypres. The battles are infamous because of the attrition strategy used by the General Officer Corps and the use of "Mustard Gas". (See MOD notes)
All pertinent research sources, would have taken up all the space in this area.
1. The Germans had just taken the City of Antwerp
2. The British had blockaded the Port City of Zeebrugge (Lord of Admiralty-Winston Churchill)
3. The alley forces where pushed back to the area in the scenario.
4. The Germans, 4th, 6th and 15th Army Corps
The allies, the Britsh, Canadians, and French with an Algerian Corps(Indians).
5. The British and German Armies still had horse mounted Cavalry Divisions at this point the Tank was used at the third Battle of Ypres, where they got stuck in the mud. I think seven(7) where deployed. More importantly, I did not include alot of horse Cavalry, just enough to try to stay in the historical parameters, and, I don't know how to script/reverse the tech age for just one unit (Carabineers/Hussars).
I have created two (2) scenario depicting the battles:
1.Ypres Salient- this version was intended for beginner to intermediate players. You will command one nation.
2.Commander-In-Chief-this version was intended for intermediate to advance players. You will command all alley forces.
I am basing skill level(s) on these key points;
If you can utilize all Function Keys and Advanced Options you are an Intermediate to an Advanced Player.
If you have been playing RON for a good period of time, and have good miltary tactics, with the "speed of the mouse", I also consider you an Intermediate to Advance Player for this scenario.
Despite my ignorance to MODS, I was able to include a Smoke Mod, graciously provided by PROBED69, it goes in you Art Folder, MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP THE ORIGINAL. After your done playing just reverse in your RON directory.
1. Manage your troop assets and use the trenches to your advantage.
2. Ignore Nation (6), they are there to layout key reference points to the battlefield.
SHOT OUT TO:
ODA-YOUR COMMENTS TO AN EARLIER THREAD GOT PROBED69 CURIOUS, AND HE CREATED THE SMOKE MOD FOR ME TO INCLUDE IN THIS SCENARIO, THANKS.
MEAT PUPPET---YOUR SCRIPT TUTORIAL WAS A BIG HELP MAKING THIS POSSIBLE, THANKS.
for iamcandian, sorry, I couldn't just do Passchendaele, their heroic stand, goes down in history as one of the greatest stands of any Army on the field of battle. Hopefully your skill will let you play Commander in Chief.
|Author||Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
Plays very nicely. I liked having control of tha allies as well as my own units.
Pretty good balance. I felt with the allies I was a bit stronger than the Germans.
The idea for the Mustard Gas was brilliant! Glad I could help out with the art.
Map Design: 4
Nice map. Maybe could've been a little uglier. lol
I knew nothing of this battle before this scenario and now I know more. Good background info.
Great work. Not quite as good as your fictional scenarios in some ways, but I know that historical is harder to do because you're locked into a storyline.
Great- real fun and tacticly challenging- amazing scripting work
You have to think for this- however, at the end of the day i think it was mabye a bit too easy
This is the first scen ive seen that really does ww1 well- mustard gas is great to
Map Design: 5
Good-had a great ww1 atmospheare with the trenches and green gas
Really good- add a lot to the scenario- great background and the poem was a good idea
I think that ww1 battles are more inteseting than ww2 but they are very hard to do well. i would like to make some but i couldn't do it to your standard. Best ww1 scen i have played and i hope you make some more