Grit, A Shovel and A Thingey
Posted on 05/03/06 @ 12:34 AM (updated 05/13/06
"Grit, A Shovel and A Thingey"
This is the third installment of WWI scenarios based on historical battles. The information contained in the scenario are summaries of research found pertaining to the actual battle.
I'm still on the Western Front, this is an re-enactment of the Canadian assault on Arras Vimy Ridge, France, April 9th-12th 1917.
The Canadian Victory at Vimy Ridge was a defining moment for Canada, when the country emerged from under the shadow of Great Britain and felt capable of greatness.
Canadian forces earned a well deserved reputaton as formidable, effective troops because of their stunning success. The capture of Vimy Ridge was more than an important battle
victory, but, for the first time all Four Canadian Divisions attacked together, men from all regions of Canada were present at the Battle. Brigadier General A.E. Ross
declared after the War, "in those few minutes I witnessed the birth of a nation". The Battle of Vimy Ridge, was a victory for the Canadians, but, it came at a terrible cost, with
more than 10,000 killed and wounded. Four Victorian Crosses were awarded, Pvt William Marne, Lance Sgt Ellis Sifton, Cpt Thaine MacDowell and Pvt John Pattison.
1. German forces seized control control of the ridge in September 1914 and quickly constructed deep defensive positions comprising of bunkers and artillery proof trenches, all protected
by concrete machine gun emplacements. With their "D" in place they pummeled the town of Arras with heavy artillery--seemingly at will. The French made several attempts to
retake the ridge in 1915, but, where "crushed" by the Germans, suffering 150,000 casualties. The British relieved the French in 1916, and they also failed, their front being
pushed back about 3 miles. The scenario picks up from here.
2. The Canadian force consists of Four Divisions (1,2,3,and 4), under the Command of British General Julian Byng. However, General Arthur Currie, Commanding General,
1st Canadian Division, because of his actions during this battle, and was Knighted for his wartime service, he will command forces on the Battlefield.
3. The allies, the Britsh Expeditionary Force's Artillery Battalions have been shelling the German positions, the British brought to
bear over 1,000 Artillery pieces to pummel the German positions.
4. Mods-These Mods were made by probed69, they support key elements of the battle, alot of effort went into making these Mods,
so the scenario would be as close as possible to the actual events at Vimy Ridge! I strongly encourage you to accomodate my request and make the necessary adjustments to your RON ART file folder.
I have included the Mods in one (1) folder and copies of original RON files in another (2) folder to make this easy for you and give you a backup (security blanket), all files are from the art folder, not too complicated.
4a. Marble, this supports a key element of the Canadian assault
4b. B-25, B-25 prop, this supports an extremely key element of the battle, was the key to the Canadian's success!
Any comments regarding the result should be directed at ME,...hey...can you make me another thing ?.............,
"I don't think that's possible", Aaargh, just take off....And paint it....., he gratitously accomodated me (and my "try this and that"
in this endeavor, I don't have clue how to begin, my examples looked like something you did in elementary school.
5. Due to Meat Puppet's encouragement, I have included a little period music, to set the mood. Song by F. Wheeler, "Boys in Khaki, Boys in Blue"
Simple, you are to take the Ridge at Vimy, Arras, France.
1. "Cover and Use your Brain Bucket", manage your troop assets,"Hollywood assaults will get your crushed!"
2. Take a moment and read the popups, key information is included here.
3. Again, Ignore Nation (3)("White"), they are there to layout key reference points to the battlefield.
4. The BEF, is only providing Artillery support, you cannot move them.
5. What you see is what you get!
P.S. you may get a tiny bit of help if you get in trouble.
|Author||Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
Very good, unit positions for all teams excellent
A tad harder than your previous ones, thats probably a go0od thing though, i thought marne was a little easy
Great level and great skins
Map Design: 5
Well designed, love the graveyards
The best of yours to date in this catorgry. v.good
Liked the zeppelins, v.impressive but rather weird looking. also, had a plane shadow.lol im not complaining though cos it was a great level you are the best scenario maker on the site at the mo. ps.well done with the skins probed1969,really adds to the atmospheare